Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had to swap the bloody plugs on my 999 again, 2nd time in two months.
does anyone else have this problem of moisture building up in the plug well (the top one) that leads to the bike missing and running like crap.
seems there is no way to drain the moisture out.
bike shop tells me everyone has this problem. well do ya???

its an 03 if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
die-electric grease around the boot to seal it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, my '98 916 does it like crazy. Top cylinder every time. Not just happening to the old bikes I see. I thought I was the only one too. Maybe that dielectric grease trick might help.

Steve
98 916-in pieces

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Never heard of that one. I even wash my bike several times a month instead of using some type of wipe and shine, and still never have that problem. I don't spray water straight in there but sure it gets some moisture in there. But I also crank it up and let it warm after every wash. Do you have to leave your bike sitting after it's wet or in damp conditions frequently??

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Never had the problem with my ST2 nor my 748.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Had the same problem with my '05 999s, vertical cylinder. Plug corroded. No pressure washing, not even hose. Bucket of water, and watering can. Since the first time it happened, after drying the bike, I have always taken it for 20 min + ride. Problem hasn't reoccured yet. (I wait for it to reoccur each time I'm warming it up). I'm also waiting for the day that I wash it, then can't take it out due to rain. Guess I'll just let it idle for a while when this happens.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wash n ride

i normally go a for a 2 min ride to shake the water out of every where after washing and try not to get water underneath the tank
i live in quite humid conditions in brisbane, bike shop reckons its condensation. there's already grease around the seal to try and prevent water sucking in. obviously not working though.
wish it had a drain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts