Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to change the spark plugs on both my Sport Classics with the DS 1000 engine. Does anyone know if any thin walled socket will fit or is there a specific one that only fits these. I tried both the spark plug sockets that come in the tool bag from Ducati and neither of these would fit. If anyone has a link to one that they know fits, that would be even better.

I really don't fell like grinding down a socket.

mf

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,021 Posts
My Monster came with the proper tool. But a 5/8” deep well or spark plug socket will also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DuckMan. As stated in my original question. I tried both tools from my Paul Smart and from my 1000s and both would not fit inside the hole. A lot of help those were. The fit fine on the horizontal cylinder. I'll pick up a 5/8" socket and see how it goes.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,021 Posts
Are you having problems on both the open side and the side with the belt covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Not a DS1000 motor but I ended up buying a Koken ko3300C-16 spark plug socket for my 998. I couldn't get my normal spark plug socket to tighten up NGK plugs in the vertical cylinder. I got mine from the tool network, Koken ko3300C-16 Spark Plug Socket. Pricy, but it works great for me and beat grinding a socket down. Can probably find it elsewhere but that was where I found mine.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you having problems on both the open side and the side with the belt covers?
So far, I just tried it on the left side vertical cylinder. Since the belt covers were on I did't bother taking them off just yet knowing I was going to have to get a smaller socket.

What's the big deal about grinding down a socket? It's easy and cheap and you don't need to take that much off. I've done it.
No big deal, would just rather get the correct tool to do the job. I know plenty of people have done this but I don't mind spending the extra few dollars, especially since these bikes are going now where for a long time.

Not a DS1000 motor but I ended up buying a Koken ko3300C-16 spark plug socket for my 998. I couldn't get my normal spark plug socket to tighten up NGK plugs in the vertical cylinder. I got mine from the tool network, Koken ko3300C-16 Spark Plug Socket. Pricy, but it works great for me and beat grinding a socket down. Can probably find it elsewhere but that was where I found mine.
Thanks for the link. That is pretty pricey for a spark plug socket.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
If you have a belt sander you can turn down the o.d of a socket in no time . Just put it on a long extension and let that spin in your hand . The results are not bad, and way better than those cheap ass factory tools. Don’t be a tool snob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts