Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2014 hyperstrada 821 serviced.
9000 mile service and my manual says spark plugs need to be changed.
My dealer did not change and said new guidance is not to change until 18k
For the 9000 mile service I was billed 2.5 hours of labor.

I am checking with Ducati directly on the correct maintenance schedule.

What,s the scoop?

·
Registered
406 Posts
My plugs were fine at 9000. You could pull the front one in 10 minutes to get a sense of what's going on. Or, maybe they pulled them and found they were fine.

also - ducati service charges $40/plug - they're $12 at amazon - they did you a favor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks appliance57

the dealer did not check them at all - they claimed it was no longer recommended in the maintenance schedule
i emailed ducati and their customer service rep just said - check the manual - and it's 9k :)
so someone is not informed - either the dealer lied, or the customer rep is not able to access newer maintenance guidance.

the rear cylinder has to be a pain to access - tank removal? i wonder if that is even possible in 2.5 hour window?

this has not been a good ducati experience - this makes 3 poor dealer experiences of late.

separately i find it hard to believe that spark plugs are actually toast at 9k but who knows ... getting the bike to my dealer is a major pain given my work hours so i may just let this one go ... thoughts?

·
Registered
406 Posts
If the bike is running well, I'd guess the plugs are fine. Ducati is not the most together company when it comes to this stuff, but in my experience, what the dealer is saying is right, if not about policy, then about the plugs. I'd trust the dealer more than the "guy in an office". The dealer makes their money on repairs. My plugs were fine. I do this basic maintenance myself and after 18k they were fine.

Removing the tank the first time is a pain - after that it's 20 minutes max. ( a briefer pain). I think it's good to do the basic maintenance yourself because you'll do it carefully, and you'll look more carefully at the bike. For example - while doing unrelated work this winter, I found a hose clamp that had loosened, and I was losing coolant.

I also found a misrouted hose, that over time, could have worn on a sharp metal edge. It was just a case of pulling it into place, but over a few thousand miles, it could have left me stranded. My guess is the mechanic moved it out of the way to do the valves, and forgot about it.

I live in a city, so I do this stuff without a garage - it is doable. i rode with a guy who would wipe his bike down every morning - not because he was tidy, but because it made him look at all the bits and pieces in case something was obviously awry.

The more hands on the better. That's my POV.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The hyperMotard bikes use NGK MAR9A-J conventional spark plugs. This type of plug is usually recommended to be changed at 30,000 mile intervals, so Ducati is still being conservative recommending 18,000 miles.

If you install fine wire electrode iridium/platinum spark plug, the service life is usually specified as 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have my 9k coming up in 250 miles. I am going ahead with the plugs just as a preventive measure in addition to everything else. The dealer will then hook up the DDS to update and clear the light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the official response from Ducati

Thank you for your question and feedback. I understand why this might be a concern for you. We do understand that your owners manual may read that you are required to change spark plugs every 9,000 miles. However, newer bulletins have conveyed that the interval may be up to 100K miles before changing spark plugs. They have become a "inspect and replace as necessary," item.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for the info.. When manufacturers debut a new engine, they often call for maintenance that they later drop when they get a good sense of how the engine wears in real life situations.

Of course 100k is wishful thinking, and I think it's a good idea to pull them for a check when doing the air filter; they can tell you a lot about your engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts