Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with the spark plugs that have a non-removable top (DCPR8E)? My boots don't click on and basically the boot just sits on top of the plug somewhat loosely. Do I need to push them on extra hard or something? It seems like they are the wrong size but I got them from desmotimes.com and they're supposed to fit the bike (1995 900 ss/cr). So I guess what I'm asking is: is the clicking necessary? The bike doesn't start as well when cold (Southern California cold) as I think it should. Thanks in advance,

Peter

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Hi there and welcome,

there are two types of spark plug boots, the ones for spark plugs on
which the top can't be removed, and the others that rather slip on the
little threads left over when the top of the spark plug is screwed off.

these are difficult to confuse with each other, since the diameter inside
the boot to which the spark plug should fit in is rather different.

they should be to detect with ease, if you take a look inside, is what
i am trying to say.

last thing: what kind of plugs do you had before, with or without top ?

:think:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You bought the wrong plugs :eek:. The (pre-99 for sure) Supersports use plugs with the removable cap (small threaded top). The correct NGK plug is the D8EA, which is available at any auto parts store. Check Desmotimes' website again. He lists which bikes the DCPR8E is for, and the 900 Supersport is not one of them. You cannot force your plug caps on those plugs and you should not use them since the cap is simply resting on top of the plug.
Joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The plugs I had before did not have the top.
I had a feeling they were supposed to "snap" in. I'll just get some plugs from the auto parts store. However, the desmotimes website says :

These plugs will fit the following models:

907ie, 750 thru 1000 Sport/SS, 620 thru 1000 Monster, ST2, and Gran Canyon. Gap is set at .024". Don't forget that if you have a DS1000/DS1100 motor, you need 4 plugs.

Thanks for the replies,
Peter

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The plugs I had before did not have the top.
I had a feeling they were supposed to "snap" in. I'll just get some plugs from the auto parts store. However, the desmotimes website says :

These plugs will fit the following models:

907ie, 750 thru 1000 Sport/SS, 620 thru 1000 Monster, ST2, and Gran Canyon. Gap is set at .024". Don't forget that if you have a DS1000/DS1100 motor, you need 4 plugs.

Thanks for the replies,
Peter
Peter, you're right; I read it wrong! You should email LT, he should refund your money and shipping charges :mad: !

Joe

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
pff refund, the owner should buy himself either another pair of plugs or
the kind of boots he needs now, be grateful about our help :), and forget
about the matter.

:)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
pff refund, the owner should buy himself either another pair of plugs or
the kind of boots he needs now, be grateful about our help :), and forget
about the matter.

:)
It's really LT's fault. He is advertising his plugs for the wrong bikes. At the least he should be told so he can change his fitment list and avoid this continuing to happen.
Joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to send desmotimes an email about the website error, I won't bother about a refund or anything since it was only a small part of a much larger order I was very happy with. All the kinds of items one might need for a bike that had been sitting around for 9 years. The funny thing is I've been riding it around like this for about 500 miles... oh well, its my first ducati, live and learn...

·
Registered
772 Posts
fitment . . .

greetings earthlings,

I have discovered that NGK makes both versions of the same spark plug, the DCPR8E. One version has the removeable terminal and the other has a fixed, non-removeable terminal. Two different numbers.

chow,
Fred

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the DCPR8E i've been getting lately have had removeable tops, whereas the DCPR9E still have solid tops. otherwise i'd use DPR8EA-9 with the gap closed down to 0.60mm (0.024") - they have the threaded end without screw on piece

1 - 10 of 10 Posts