Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!!!
I own a 2004 Ducati 800ss. I ordered the champion RA4HC plugs with a gap of .024-.028 that the owners manual has listed. When I pulled one out of the bike it was a NGK DPR8EA9 with a gap of .035.
The owners manual says NGK DCPR8E.
So I checked the gap of the new one and went to install it and the plug wire did not fit the plug. The old NGK plug has threads at the tip and it’s thinner. The new plugs have a smooth tip and is bigger. The spark plug wire didn’t fit. The spark plug wire has the letters “ MTA” on the boot.

My questions are:

Did the original owner change the spark plug wires for some reason and had to use the NGK with the thin threaded plugs?

Are the plugs and wires on the bike the original or aftermarket?

BTW the bike runs great. No problems that I know of due to different plugs/wires and gap.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
dpr8ea-9 have a 0.9mm or 0.035" gap. dcpr8e are 0.6mm. generally the dpr8ea-9 and dcpr8e will have a screw on tip that you can remove (some dcpr8e have solid tips, the genuine ones do).

mta plug caps would be original, but some models took the threaded plugs tips and some the larger screw on tip plugs. just get some dcpr8e (4339 variant, screw on tip) and they'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I’m totally embarrassed. I’m a auto body painter for the past 26 years and never knew the smooth cap on a spark plug comes off.
Spark plugs I sent back have been reordered.
Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Thanks guys. I’m totally embarrassed. I’m a auto body painter for the past 26 years and never knew the smooth cap on a spark plug comes off.
Spark plugs I sent back have been reordered.
Thanks again!!!
Bah ... don't give it a second thought. The only time I open my mouth is to change feet.

Any day you learn something new is a good day!

:wink2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to you all my search is over.

I did not know there’s 3 types of plugs.
1) solid
2) stud (Thread only)
3) loose ( threaded w/cap)
I had my friend that works at Olympus Auto Parts get me 2 NGK 4339 plugs tonight.
I’m still not sure why the past owner put in the wrong plugs and wrong gap. (.035 when it’s supposed to be.024) The bike is all stock. I’ll be putting them in tomorrow night and hope it runs better.
Thanks again to everyone who replied and hope I can return the favor. BTW I’m an auto body painter and can answer just about any questions about prepping or painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i don't know if a dpr8ea-9 with the 0.9mm gap would upset the ie models or not (don't recall ever using them), but the carb bikes are certainly happier cold and low speed with the dcpr8e 0.6mm gap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts