Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe the bike ran with plugs that looked like this...

It's an 09 M696 with 3400 miles on it.

It starts/idles fine, runs fine under 50% throttle, and the engine runs fine through the entire rev range. I only noticed a problem at full throttle under 5000 rpm. It scared me when I tried to pass a car on the freeway... I was going about 70 mph when I hit the throttle in 6th gear and it was like I hit a brick wall... just bucked and hesitated like crazy.

After I came home I pulled the tank and checked a few things, then pulled the plugs and found this. They look like they are oil fouled. Yet the bike doesn't seem to be losing any oil... I check the oil level before every ride.

There is no check engine light and everything seems fine otherwise. I'm simply amazed it runs like this...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
686 Posts
That looks sooty to me. Usually means running rich. Air filter blocked ( seen everything from mice to a duster pulled into the snorkel ). The other option is that the spark is breaking down under compression and the cylinder is firing intermittently and soothing up. Might also be a sensor causing the wrong mixture.

Obvious things first. Look at air box and air filter and make sure it's all clean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inspected the intake tract... nothing dirty, clogged, or impeding air flow.

Changed the plugs out for another new set of OEM NGK plugs (total cost was $4).

Bike runs awesome now. It feels like it picked up 10 horsepower :D I pulled the plugs again after ~50 miles and they look perfect. I'll keep checking them every time I clean the chain.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Inspected the intake tract... nothing dirty, clogged, or impeding air flow.

Changed the plugs out for another new set of OEM NGK plugs (total cost was $4).

Bike runs awesome now. It feels like it picked up 10 horsepower :D I pulled the plugs again after ~50 miles and they look perfect. I'll keep checking them every time I clean the chain.

Looks like the plugs had broken down then. This is something that was common on two strokes used around town. I think you should have the mixture checked out as it looks like the engine might be running rich.

The best way to check plugs is to find a long, gradual hill of a few miles in length. Pin the throttle and get the engine spinning. After a mile or two, pull the clutch and switch and hit the kill switch. Coast to a stop without letting the engine turn over. Then check the plugs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That plug looks absolutely horrid, if you are not burning oil, then you definitely have an over rich condition. Here is the problem, given that your bike is fuel injected, not much can be done save for letting the dealer have a go at your pocket book.

I would take it to the dealer for a diagnosis. I'm surprised your check engine light has not tripped, I would think the narrow band O2 sensor would at least indicate a fault for running this rich...

·
Registered
686 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.