Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a set of spare rims and grit them with knobbies for the occasional fire road riding. What type should I be looking for?

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and it's a 2013 MTS1200

·
Registered
869 Posts
Realistically, this setup would probably cost you between $1800 - $2500 by the time you bought wheels, tires and rotors.

That's a big chunk of change towards buying a second bike that will do this type of off road riding a lot better than the Multi.

Just an opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
It is a good move. I did it for the hyper, but I only bought a back wheel as the front was from a different bike that just happened to fit the hyper. I tend to leave the knobs on more because they are so good on the highway and I always worry that I'll miss something if I take them off. I have no idea what wheels would fit that bike.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it's not a cheap option. I'm hoping to find a pair of used rims with front rotors included.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would get whatever will fit and is cheap for the rear...

As for the front, I would be half tempted to wait and see what 19" Multi Enduro wheels will go for and if you could fit it on (oviously would need a fender too)....

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
As far as I know, the only tire really availble for ADV and the 17" rim and the size your looking at is Conti´s TKC-80 tire.
They come standard on the BMW adventures aswell as some other big offroaders. Tried and true option for tubeless semioffroad tires that can handle the tarmac to and from with no problems.
They do a 120/70-17 stock size, But I´ve been wondering if, if you lift the fron fender slightly, the "rear" 120/90 - 17 wouldnt work to try and give abit more height to the front rolling diameter. Wouldnt be by much, just about 1".. But effectivly going from a 17" front to an 18" front isnt too bad offroad.

The new Multistrada endure comes with Pirelli SCORPION Trail II tires, but they are alot more street then you think, I wouldn´t go more offroad then a good gravelroad on them.

Reviewn of tkc80 on MTS1200 - Continental TKC-80 Twinduro Knobbies Motorcycle Tire Review
Stolen pics of the MTS1200 with TKC80

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes it's not a cheap option. I'm hoping to find a pair of used rims with front rotors included.
Good luck. Used straight wheels are going to be very tough to find. I bent the front wheel on my MTS in two places and trying to locate even a single front wheel that wasn't hammered, bent or otherwise rashed up, was very tough.

As far as I know, the only tire really availble for ADV and the 17" rim and the size your looking at is Conti´s TKC-80 tire.
They come standard on the BMW adventures aswell as some other big offroaders. Tried and true option for tubeless semioffroad tires that can handle the tarmac to and from with no problems.
They do a 120/70-17 stock size, But I´ve been wondering if, if you lift the fron fender slightly, the "rear" 120/90 - 17 wouldnt work to try and give abit more height to the front rolling diameter. Wouldnt be by much, just about 1".. But effectivly going from a 17" front to an 18" front isnt too bad offroad.

The new Multistrada endure comes with Pirelli SCORPION Trail II tires, but they are alot more street then you think, I wouldn´t go more offroad then a good gravelroad on them.

Reviewn of tkc80 on MTS1200 - Continental TKC-80 Twinduro Knobbies Motorcycle Tire Review
Stolen pics of the MTS1200 with TKC80

Correct, the only real knobby you can get for the MTS is the TKC-80.

Tough I beg to differ that the Scorpion Trail isn't good off-pavement. I spent Saturday ripping through alleyways on my Hyper, shod with Scorpion Trails. Conditions were loose, muddy, wet and very vegetated. They did much better than expected.

If you're after a gravel and graded dirt road tire; the Scorpion Trail is a terrific tire for the task.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Correct, the only real knobby you can get for the MTS is the TKC-80.

Tough I beg to differ that the Scorpion Trail isn't good off-pavement. I spent Saturday ripping through alleyways on my Hyper, shod with Scorpion Trails. Conditions were loose, muddy, wet and very vegetated. They did much better than expected.

If you're after a gravel and graded dirt road tire; the Scorpion Trail is a terrific tire for the task.
Then again.. Conti came out with the TKC70 which is suppose to be slightly more ON road then Offroad compared to the TKC-80 and the new MTS1200 Enduro is shod with Pirelle Scorpion Trail II tires. The first scorpion trails cant hold a candle to the TKC80 in offroad conditions. But I´ll agree that the Scorps are alright for the kind of muck you find in alleyways and maybe graded roads. I had three sets on my MTS and did some lighter offroading and I like the feel of them. Light tire too, not at all as heavy as the TKC´s

But since the OP is considering a full OFFROAD package, the TKC80 is probably the best bet. I´d try for the oversize front aswell (120/90-17 instead of the stock 120/70-17), since your probably shifting over in a garage, so lifting the fender isnt a big deal even if you might need to lenghten the brakeline that runs over the fender the first time out.

Reactions: Bobcat Sig

·
Registered
211 Posts
Am I seeing this right? Used front and back wheels for 800 bucks?? Seems like an awesome deal. I might consider it just to get an extra set for track day tires. But I would need rotors too. Those would fit the DVT? Did someone swoop them up?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a set of Pirelli MT60RS tyres (same as Scrambler) to put on my Multi for a trip coming up in a couple of weeks which involves over 1000km of dirt roads. I did a similar thing on my Hyper last year.

They seem a reasonable compromise between some dirt road ability and reasonable performance on the road. I'm mainly tying not to loose the front and stack in the middle of the donga.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Recently had a nice screw visit my tire so by the recommendation of Kyle over at Adventure Designs they recommended the TKC-80 Front along with the Anakee Wild rear. Going to throw these on. The Anakee is getting upwards of 6,000 miles where the TKC-80 it has been reported at 3,000.

I commute and offroad so these were highly recommended. Adventure Designs did a track day at Laguna on the TKC-80 and were really impressed with the grip and the Wild has really good wet traction as well. Ill post images soon.

The only down fall is the Wild only comes in a 170 where the TKC comes in a 180. I figure if the 170 is good for a GS it will be fine for my MTS.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Recently had a nice screw visit my tire so by the recommendation of Kyle over at Adventure Designs they recommended the TKC-80 Front along with the Anakee Wild rear. Going to throw these on. The Anakee is getting upwards of 6,000 miles where the TKC-80 it has been reported at 3,000.

I commute and offroad so these were highly recommended. Adventure Designs did a track day at Laguna on the TKC-80 and were really impressed with the grip and the Wild has really good wet traction as well. Ill post images soon.

The only down fall is the Wild only comes in a 170 where the TKC comes in a 180. I figure if the 170 is good for a GS it will be fine for my MTS.
Not so fast. Your MTS has a 190 rear tire. The GS has a 150 or 160. That's a lot of stretch. It's one thing to stretch a 180 section tire to fit in place of a 190. It's another to do what you're suggesting. My guess is that the rear tire profile is going to be so flat, the bike will be difficult to steer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Was seriously toying with the MTS knobbly tyres idea as well for quite some time but went a different route last year.
My MTS-PP (2012) and F8GS (2015) compliment each other quite nicely with the right mods done to both bikes....
nuff said'....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts