Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you guys think there's still a market for these things? And if so, what do you think folks would be willing to pay?

I'm frustrated with the lack of exhausts out there for my bike (900SS/CR) and have recruited a race fabricator buddy of mine (used to be a header fabricator for NHRA funny car team, now a header fabricator for a Cup team, specializes in Ti, stainless, and some new variety of stainless that I'd never heard of - did you know a set of headers for a Cup car is $8,000? I digress) to take some measurements off of an old Staintune and build me one using sections like the works/factory bikes.

I don't know what the benefit of the spaghetti stuff is but I trust his expertise on exhaust backpressure, scavenging, etc, and we'll use my bike for tuning. It's always seemed to me that a clean, simple crossover would be a better approach to increasing cornering clearance and that the Hindle method of wrapping up behind the engine in the swingarm space ahead of the wheel was pretty slick, but there must be some logic behind the complex connectors.

At any rate, I'll keep you posted and provide pics once we've got a mock-up done.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Spark Exhausts in Italy SPARK still make spaghetti exhausts for some models of air cooled Ducati. They have a very modern manufacturing plant and they are run by switched on people. Their workmanship is phenomenal right up their with Yoshi and Akrapovic!

The poor quality photos on the their web site do not do their pipes justice!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interest? Yes and no.

The fact this thread is 17 pages long seems to indicate a strong interest in new headers for SuperSports, spaghetti or otherwise. But, expressing interest and putting money down are two very different things. It's a pretty niche product that only a handful would actually pay for I suspect.

I, for example, am interested. But, since my bike runs well as it currently stands, I probably wouldn't spend more than a few hundred dollars on a spaghetti header. I keep hoping I find one at a garage sale. Interest level high. Commitment to one low.

That said, your buddy is taking measurements off an old Staintune, which I would probably pay at least a hundred dollars plus a bit for since their appearance is so well-finished and refined. Of course, if it's a Staintune spaghetti header, instead of a normal header, doesn't that open up a new can of worms regarding slip-on size?

I know we all need parts, but there are fewer and fewer of us each year.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Sil Moto Italia (SMI)

Are they still in operation? The website seems to have vanished, and there's not much reference to them at most dealers...

Shame, because they made some nice systems.

Nick ^^^^ - If you think your bike feels OK, you HAVE to try one with a full spaghetti system and 41mm FCR's. Turns it into a WHOLE new bike! :D:D My only regret about my system is that I hadn't done the job years earlier! Add in an alloy clutch basket (I fitted a Barnett unit), and the engine spins up faster as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A spaghetti/staintune header is way out of my budget, but I understand the benefits of getting rid of the stock x pipe so I cut up another exhaust and bought some 1" stainless tube for the blend pipes and now I have my own! Sounds great, runs great, cost me $15. Ill probably grind down the welds as they arent the prettiest and polish the whole thing later this winter when I rebuild the rest of the bike. I also plan on using the competition werkes gp mufflers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A spaghetti/staintune header is way out of my budget, but I understand the benefits of getting rid of the stock x pipe so I cut up another exhaust and bought some 1" stainless tube for the blend pipes and now I have my own! Sounds great, runs great, cost me $15. Ill probably grind down the welds as they arent the prettiest and polish the whole thing later this winter when I rebuild the rest of the bike. I also plan on using the competition werkes gp mufflers.

Twinline that's genius.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ThrottleJock, if it were in the say, $500.00-mid $600.00 it would be doable. Anything much over that and it's more than likely not going to interest the majority. I'd be down depending on the price criteria. On the outside edge, $800.00 if it were uber sexy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What I was thinking initially is that we'd have two versions, the hand made " works" type sectioned with a zillion beautiful hand welds to make the curves, and we'd make a mandrel bent version of the same design but the curvy bits would be made by a machine, and the various tubing sections welded. The first version would be expensive. The second we could pump out in some volume.

At any rate we'll start by mocking one up on my bike. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are they still in operation? The website seems to have vanished, and there's not much reference to them at most dealers...

Shame, because they made some nice systems.
Yes Silmoto got a new owner last year. I met them in Italy last year. I think they are getting their manufacturing done overseas now - possibly China. The quality of the products I saw looked very high.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,
The Silmotor exhaust systems are now out of production.
I tried to order a set last month and was informed from
the seller that they are no longer available... Bummer.

Gray

·
Registered
421 Posts
This was from a dealer here in Germany...

Gray (<= not misspelled ;) )
Just got this response from the owner at Silmoto

"Hello!
Thank you for your inquiry.
Sil Moto is planning a reopening this year so I think we’ll have available the new silencers for the next season.

Chris Schimmelschmidt."

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Just got this response from the owner at Silmoto

"Hello!
Thank you for your inquiry.
Sil Moto is planning a reopening this year so I think we’ll have available the new silencers for the next season.

Chris Schimmelschmidt."
Well that's good news! Not that I'm after a system - I've already got (a SMI!) one! :D But at least I know that if I need to replace anything, I'll be able to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well that's good news! Not that I'm after a system - I've already got (a SMI!) one! :D But at least I know that if I need to replace anything, I'll be able to.
Don't count your chickens too early. I doubt they will be doing the full product range when they get back into business and I doubt they will be doing them for the older bikes. I believe they will initially just release slip ons.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Don't count your chickens too early. I doubt they will be doing the full product range when they get back into business and I doubt they will be doing them for the older bikes. I believe they will initially just release slip ons.
They'd already stopped making the 900SS ones (pipes) when I got mine (August 2009) - they did a one-off for me - through the Italian (Carpi-Moto) shop I ordered through on-line. Hopefully, I won't need anything, but if for some reason I drop it - it's most likely to be a slip-on that I'll need. Hopefully they still have all the jigs for bending up the older stuff - for anyone else wanting a set.

BTW - had a look at your website - I can see myself spending a few dollars with you - when I get some more... ;)

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
5,069 Posts
Hopefully they still have all the jigs for bending up the older stuff - for anyone else wanting a set.
A thought ....

Maybe someone with the expertise and equipment should try to buy the unused jigs.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I have a brand new set of the Sil Moto Spaghetti headers In the classifieds for sale. They are stainless steel and will fit '98 and newer 900SS-1000SS bikes. They will also fit SportClassic GT1000s and Sport1000 Bipostos but will need short extensions made to fit the SC OEM/Termi mufflers.

Send me a PM for picts if interested.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
26 Posts
...Been a long time since I posted to this forum - all wrapped up in vintage Ducatis these past 6 years.. But I thought I'd pass on an excellent contact for custom exhausts that I've been working with for the past year.

Frederic Mignault (based in Montreal, Canada) has been making Ducati TT1 and F1 race exhausts for me and I'd put his quality up there with Doug Cook (ARC Fabrication). I've been looking for someone to fill the void since Doug dropped off the map and when I met Fred about 18 months ago, he was building seriously nice bicycle frames (still is..). I gave him one of Doug's 4V spaghetti systems to mount over his bench for inspiration not long after I started working with him and over the last year, his exhaust fabrication talents have progressed enormously. We've been getting rave reviews on the vintage stuff he's been doing for us in stainless.

You can get him at [email protected] or 438-821-0201.

He's young, talented and highly recommended - like Doug, you'll need to bring him a bike to build the system on.

Here's an example of the work he's done for us..

Attachments

161 - 180 of 287 Posts