Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

241 - 260 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gary at Torque Power Motorcycles in Australia also has some Silmoto Spaghetti pipes in stock at the moment.

He's a very good guy to deal with and I believe his pricing on them is very good.

[email protected]
Do the silmoto headers work with all types of slip ons? The stock headers on my 900 IE are a bit worse for wear and was contemplating replacing them, just want to make sure that the low mount termis I have on the way would fit them. Even better if I can source them locally.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
OK - I have occasionally looked at this sticky thread for years, so now my dumb questions.

What is the attraction?

They just look superb? (True)

or

The headers are the same length? Helps tuning/mapping

or

The headers are the same length and correct length? Really helps tuning and mapping.

?????

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
OK - I have occasionally looked at this sticky thread for years, so now my dumb questions.

What is the attraction?

or

or

The headers are the same length and correct length? Really helps tuning and mapping.

?????
I also look at these as a "some day" add on. The OEM pressed center area is constricting to the flow of exhaust but is good enough I tell myself.

Here is the pitch from the SilMotor ad ..."SILMOTOR DUCATI 900SL/SS HEADER PIPES 1992-1997Beautifully made to high standard in Italy"Spaghetti" style header pipe which gets rid of the nasty cross section found on the standard header pipe.Greatly improves aiflow with up to 8hp performance gains in the mid range. Can be used with standard silencers or any after market silencers which use the standard header pipe. D=45mm outside, D=43 mm inside"...

8 hp gain is nice! I guess if you need to wring out every last pony from the mill it makes a lot of sense. My question would be if the drop in back pressure puts any other strains on the system or if it is better for engine life. If it's better for engine life I might have to go there sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
282 Posts
8 hp gain is nice!
Mine (Staintune) were on it and and a nice surprise, however I would spend the money on carbs, pistons, etc first if I was the one doing the purchasing.
It does feel stronger than other 900SS' I've ridden, but that's not a dyno, just the feeling in the seat of my pants and through my ears as it sounds deep & throaty.

I took them to a custom exhaust builder for repair and he marveled at the construction and was trying to picture the jig that was used (Meerkat Mufflers for anyone in Aust., great workmanship at a great price).

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts

What is the attraction?

or

or

?????
They look good, they improve ground clearance, they sound good, and work REALLY well with a 41mm FCR upgrade - IMO, due to the lack of restriction imposed on the OEM headers by the 4 way 'join'. I got a boost in performance (not in top speed, but in how fast it gets there now) AND in fuel economy - not so much when wringing the throttle - but nearly 20% better under 'cruising' speeds (from 10l @ 200kms to 8.6l @ 200kms). That's with no dB killers in the baffles.

@ methanol - If your Termis fit the OEM headers, then they'll fit the SilMoto headers.

@ Kevin T - That "nasty cross-section found on the original headers" was why I wanted a spaghetti system. No dyno numbers - but seat of the pants (and the ability to keep bikes in sight that used to ride away from me) say that there is a significant performance improvement. Re the lower back pressure causing problems or benefits - I haven't noticed either way. At least, not anything that can be directly attributed to lack of back pressure. Besides - if you're worried about back pressure - get the SilMoto tailpipes as well. They come with a dB killer insert, which will give you all the back pressure that you want. Mine was so effective, that with the only things changed being the mufflers (with dB killers fitted), the bike would barely run. It was WAY quieter than the OEM mufflers. I removed the end cap of the dB killers, which improved the noise and performance back to standard - but ended running without them at all, as the 'open' pipes managed to pass WOF (MOT equiv.) tests - and are still quieter than a Harley... :rolleyes: Oddly enough, at 100kph, it's quieter than original.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Oh man better gas mileage too! That is a big seller for me. 20% better mileage would give me one more 20 mile trip to work. Looks like I will start looking into this a bit more! Thanks.

Did you guys with FCR-41's need to re-jet after swapping to the Sil Moto header.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Oh man better gas mileage too! That is a big seller for me. 20% better mileage would give me one more 20 mile trip to work. Looks like I will start looking into this a bit more! Thanks.

Did you guys with FCR-41's need to re-jet after swapping to the Sil Moto header.
Yes. For me - only the mains (up to 182!) done by road testing flat out in 5th. Kept increasing the main jet size until it stopped missing, then went up one more size for safeties sake (having melted down a piston on another bike, I'd rather things were a little too rich than too lean). All other jets stayed as delivered from CA-Cycleworks, but I did tweak the idle mixture and air screws a wee bit.

I've always done my jetting by getting the full throttle operation right, then working down from there - but the carbs were pretty good, so once I had the mains right, everything else felt good. One day I'll take it to a dyno, and see if I can get things any better, but I'm in no rush.

Depending on the baffles in your mufflers as to how much you'll need to change the mains. Note that I'm running the airbox with lid on (K&N filter), and snorkels removed. There may be a pressure effect from this (increase in airbox pressure at speed) - but it's never been technically proven. I guess if the dyno says I'm jetted WAY too rich - that might be an indicator, but as I'm not rushing off to the dyno, it'll have to wait.

Odds are that you'll want richer mains - but whether you need 182's (that was a LOT richer than I had initially thought I'd need to go to) will be up to you (or your tuner). Do some plug chops (that's why I was using 5th), and if it has a misfire/is rough in the upper midrange to full throttle - go up another size on the mains. Luckily, I already had a big box of Keihin jets from the CR Specials I had on my old Suzuki, so only needed a few more to make a really good selection.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Does anyone know the exact weight saving on OEM exhaust headers vs Sil Motor headers on a SS 900 IE?
No. A rough guess would be 1-2 kg - but that is for the full system, not just the headers. Just the headers - I'd guesstimate that the OEM and Silmoto are pretty close. But the Silmoto flows better.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Thanks for that info, now the big question is...Where can I buy them for a 900ie? I've been lucky enough to find the termis, maybe my luck will keep going ;)
Ahhh - one of those... I have no idea if the carbie and ie headers are interchangeable. In fact, looking at how parts are advertised, I'd say not interchangeable, and after having a bit of a browse on the web - it doesn't look good for you in respect of aftermarket headers specifically for your 900ie. Good luck!

Note: I did find some specified for a 98 900 (my ones are for 91-97) here - Ducati Supersport 900 1998 Silmotor Exhaust Full System Carbon Oval Silencers | eBay No idea if they'll be right for yours though (or if your Termis will fit).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bought a complete set-up from FBF in May this year. Attached is a photo showing the major difference between stock and the Sil-Moto header.
Still struggling to get the fit right with interference with the lower rear of the left faring (yet to be addressed) and the right oil cooler line (moved the cooler a bit but it's still too close for comfort).
Next spring I MUST get this together so I can finally ride the bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not affiliated - but this is on eBay right now. GiaCaMoto spaghetti system with included cans. I can't quite tell, but it looks to be neither a standard mount, nor a high mount, but somewhere in between.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Question - if you had 2 different systems and one made more power at 6k but less at 7500 vs the other system that made more peak power at 7500 but less at 6k, what would you prefer? lets say 3-5hp difference at each rpm point mentioned above?

also, what is the order of importance

peak power
more midrange power
lighter weight
fit
quality
price

how would you prioritize this list?

i have been doing a bunch of testing on my 900 and just curious what all of you think is important?

Thanks for your comments

241 - 260 of 287 Posts