Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've installed the heads on my '73 Sport and I notice there are spaces between the head and the barrel on both vertical and horizontal cylinders with the nuts snugged down. Roughly 30 thou on the front cylinder and 20 thou on the vertical. Is this normal? Also, I can rotate the engine by hand, but it's fairly tight. (That said, there are new pistons, rings and barrels.) Any insights appreciated.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The space between the cylinders and heads is normal. The engine will be tight to rotate by hand, especially with new rings. What about on the kickstarter?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Duccout, that puts my mind at ease. I was trying to turn it with the alternator shaft - the kickstarter was way better of course.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I rotate the engine with the rear wheel so I can go both directions.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to remember duc96cr. The engine is currently on the bench but it goes into the frame tonight .... after being out for 15 years! This 'stay at home' thing works wonders for getting one off one's butt to finish a project.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Don't give yourself a hernia! Years ago I took my (in pieces) 750 engine to a well-known UK expert to carry out a repair, and then reassemble. We spent all day rebuilding the engine, then it was time to go home. The workshop was upstairs in one of those old storage warehouses from the Victorian era, accessed by a very long, very steep, wooden exterior staircase; I asked the guy to help me carry the engine and he told me that he'd just had a hernia operation and wasn't allowed to lift anything! I'm not Mr Muscle, and had to carry that thing down those steps, unable to see where I was going, and mindful that If I fell, me and my engine would be smashed on the cobbles below. Bloody Ducatis!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch - I wouldn't be able to do that! Kudos. My engine just had to go from the bench to the floor. My step-son came over (6 foot, 230 lbs) and did most of the lifting while I manoeuvred the jack and slid the bolts in. Definitely a 2-man job unless you are lowering an empty frame onto it.
After a forever restoration, I look forward to riding it this summer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
A beautiful bike willyboy. Dropping a motor can also be done in steps when alone especially in the comfort of a living room. I only went half way this time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Flynbulldog. And I'm not going to give it any fake patina ?. I want it to look and feel like I rode it out of the dealer in 1973. (except with the electronic ignition and upgraded brakes)
Rick - that's a good way to do the heads and barrels without dropping it completely. Duly noted!
I will post some more pics as I get further along. There are a few little issues to work out but at this point (hopefully) it's mostly just assemble, tweak and tune.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This is the first time I've installed the heads on my '73 Sport and I notice there are spaces between the head and the barrel on both vertical and horizontal cylinders with the nuts snugged down. Roughly 30 thou on the front cylinder and 20 thou on the vertical. Is this normal? Also, I can rotate the engine by hand, but it's fairly tight. (That said, there are new pistons, rings and barrels.) Any insights appreciated.

On roundcases (and others) the top of the cylinder seals on the combustion chamber in the head. You're going to see a space from the outside or they wouldn't seal correctly on the inside.

As mentioned there's going to be some drag when turning the engine over. The trouble would be if there wasn't any!

Someone already posted pics of how to install the engine by yourself. Leave the sidecovers off, install the lower rear engine mount bolt, and rotate the engine up. Been there, done that. Not on a Sport though! Great bike!

·
Registered
374 Posts
willyboy: Pizza boxes (Italian) and ice cream tubs are also essential components of the job. I'm looking forward to the pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts