Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good source for the rubber inserted nuts that go on the fairing of my 06 ST3? I assume from Ducati they are expensive.
they don't seem to last very long and the rubber cracks. Are the metal twist clips any better?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
http://www.desmoparts.com/ducati/wellnut/wellnut.htm

Ducati wants $3 per nut, LT wants $1.50, but Desmoparts wants $0.50 to $0.70

Dzus can be done, and it does speed up fairing removal on the bike, but obtaining and installing them are a PITA. On the '04 and later, you still have all of the little buggers around the dash and windshield that can't be converted easily.

I converted my '02 to Dzus fasteners, but I would not do it again, so I just stick with the well nuts. This was before LT's bracket was available, so YMMV. For the newer style bikes, there is no bracket like LTs, but it's not necessary anyway.

LT's bracket for the '03 and earlier bikes: http://www.desmotimes.com/product23.htm

·
Registered
182 Posts
I converted my 98 ST2 to Dzus and save an hour of labor whenever it goes in for service. Oil changes and battery checks only take a minute or less for fairing removal. It's been a big time and money saver and I tackle more jobs myself because everything is more accessible.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Here in the US, Lowes.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Had replied to an older thread w/ the same problem once. 10/32 is the same or close enough to an M5 thread. Well nuts in this size are easy to come by and work great in the fairings.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I bought replacement well nuts for my ST4s from my local ACE hardware store in the past. They had a selection of metric sizes, including the right size for the ST4s. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, talk about feedback. thanks all very much. I like the idea of converting to the dzus fasteners.
thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your local Fastenall should have everything you need on the shelf, even replacement stainless button head machine screws and plastic washers, if you happen to drop and loose anything.

I ordered a bulk 25pc box from one of the machine supply places a few years ago, probably MSC, but that did'nt turn out any cheaper than just ordering some from desmoparts above :rolleyes:

Cheers, YV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts