Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

After undergoing extensive maintenance during the Pacific Northwest long winter, my 998 is getting ready to hit the road again.

Since the bike is still disassembled, I thought this would be a perfect time to upgrade some parts to carbon fiber. There's one part that always looks out of place on any Ducati, and that's the sprocket cover. I'm also thinking of updating the clutch cover.

Some have recommended Carbon World in Germany. There are cheaper parts out there, but theirs look well made.

Before I take the plunge, are there other vendors you would recommend? If possible I'd like to buy all the parts from the same vendor as to avoid differences in color / finishing.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

PM

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I've had good luck with Tekarbon out of California. It does look like they have a few parts for the 998.

Welcome to Tekarbon
Just an FYI: I ordered a front fender for my 888 from them and it completely did not fit my bike. It's still sitting in my garage. I suspect it's for a 900SS or something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just bought almost everything for my 998 from CarbonMoto. I would NOT recommend them. Airbox needed a lot of work to fit. Air ducts have a large gap (less important with BMC filters) and worst of all, two parts are on back order for over two months and no response to requests for a refund. I wanted twill weave and some places don’t do that. Will check the above places for the still needed front fender and heel guards and hope for a match.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just an FYI: I ordered a front fender for my 888 from them and it completely did not fit my bike. It's still sitting in my garage. I suspect it's for a 900SS or something.
Good to know -- the hyper stuff I got worked well. Did you ever contact them about it? I talked to them on the phone a few times.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Good to know -- the hyper stuff I got worked well. Did you ever contact them about it? I talked to them on the phone a few times.
I didn't. I was so pissed I just put it back in the box and figured that one I'll have something that will have use for it, like a 900 Superlight or something.

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
I just purchased a very nice quality carbon fiber hugger for my '05 999 from Moto Composites. Fit and finish is excellent. I was pleased with their order acknowledgements and delivery timetable as well. They use a flat rate fee of $9.95 to ship within the US and Canada.

You can find them here: https://www.motocomposites.com/

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,310 Posts
I wanted twill weave and some places don’t do that.
Last year I ordered an undertail section and dash panel set for my SS in gloss twill weave from RSR Moto. They immediately Emailed me back and informed me that they had the dash panel set but were currently out of stock on the undertail section. Said they would definitely have one available for me in about three weeks time if I could wait.
I agreed so they set the dash panel set aside and true to their word a few weeks later I got another Email that my parts had just shipped out to me.

Unlike a lot c/f parts that are paper thin and flimsy these RSR Moto parts are TUV approved. Trust me when I say these mofo's are freakin' stout!

I was trying to get you a decent pic of the twill weave pattern in the second and third pics so you could compare it to the parts that you already have but this RSR stuff is so over the top glossy it's damn near impossible to do with my little cheapy camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the RSR Moto twill pics and recommendation. I’m going to give them a shout and see what they can do for a fender. It getting pretty close to riding season here in MN so I need to get moving on this!

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
Moto Composites does the twill as well... and your choice of gloss or matte finish...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’ve not seen a lot of matte carbon on this generation of bikes, but I’m thinking about picking up a few pieces. I have a 748 in titanium, and I think some of the matte pieces might look pretty good.

·
Matt
685 Posts
Speed Carbon from Italy is really good. These are former CM Composite employees (CM is no longer in business) who restarted a new company using the original CM molds. Just about everything CM made for the 916-era bikes is available from them once again. As far as I know you cannot purchase from them directly. I buy through Ducatiparts-online in the Netherlands...really good people and shipping costs to the US are quite reasonable. Not all of the parts are shown on their website, so just email them to ask about the Speed Carbon parts.

https://ducatiparts-online.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts