Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Sound deadening.

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  CCM900 
#1 ·
The sound absorbing foam lining the fairing of my SP is starting to take on the consistency of stale cake. Has anyone used Dynamat or a similar product to replace it?

#5 ·
New to street Ducatis (used to help race one) so I'm asking a lot of questions. Seems odd to me that Ducati would add weight for a little sound deadening so I thought I should ask the wise and experienced incase there was something I had missed. Right now I'm thinking I'll just remove the material and make a pattern before scrapping it just in case I want to replace it.

#7 ·
I have never heard that before. Fail to see how a plastic insulation material could be used for heat dissipation. If it is for that I would have expacted some sort of metal material used for that purpose. I had plastic fairings on my bike, no insulation and had no issue with them "melting". My understanding is that it was to cut down on the metallic, mechanical sounds emitted from the engine. You could put a set of carbon fibre fairings on your bike, that has the same effect....

#10 ·
Government sound requirements. Now this all makes sense. Just couldn't understand why a company that is fanatical about keeping their bikes light would put two heavy slabs of foam rubber in the bodywork.

"When something defies the laws of economics and common sense there's usually government involved" P.J. O'Rourke

#13 ·
As said, it's to damp the sound to pass noise emissions tests here in the States (possibly elsewhere). My buddy's came loose well before its tenth birthday and was completely removed. The SP3 (watercooled so apples : oranges) wasn't fitted with such stuff. Make your patterns if you like, remove it all, and enjoy the new experience.

#15 ·
The insulation on my 1994 looked like hell, so I used a liberal dose of citrus based solvent. As others have said, you have to be careful to use a product that will not eat into the paint/plastic. Just be patient and use mutiple applications of the solvent to fully dissolve the adhesive.

As an added benefit, I have read where engine cooling will be minutely improved. (take that with a grain of salt).

The comment on heat protection did give me a laugh, however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.