Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for us to part ways...

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=5523

Nothing personal, I was cut-off in traffic a few days ago, and I haven't stopped shaking. The drivers here are going to end my life. A few of my friends have died this past year, and I don't want to go out that way. I have never been more terrified in my life. I am fine, but I can't get back on the bike.

Take a look; help me find a good home for it.

Thanks, guys.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Don't give up.

I recently (end of 2004) had a pretty bad accident due to a cager cutting off on me and never lost the will to ride.
If you feel the streets are too dangerous, take her to the track ;)

Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
emxsp749 said:

Nothing personal, I was cut-off in traffic a few days ago, and I haven't stopped shaking. The drivers here are going to end my life. A few of my friends have died this past year, and I don't want to go out that way. I have never been more terrified in my life. I am fine, but I can't get back on the bike.

Thanks, guys.

-Eric
I'm really sorry that something you enjoyed has been taken away by the acts of others. I grew up in northern NJ and still have friends there. But, this year for the first time I just said, "Enough!" No more visits by bike. Many drivers are a danger, but the density of population and, thus, traffic makes it all the worse. Hope you find something to take the place of motorcycling. Be well.

bruce19

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Hate to hear it. Take some time off, and eventually, you may get to where you want to ride again.

My wife was hit head-on by a girl in an Oldsmobile in June of 2003. After several surguries, including a total hip replacement in Dec, she finally got around to riding her own bike a couple of months ago.....with the help of an eletric shifter because of her paralyzed left foot.

Her bike page - http://members.aol.com/TBoling125/gsxr_page.html

I know what it is like to get the crap scared out of you, but if you love motorcycles and it is in your blood, you'll get back on one.......we all do, eventually (I broke my right femur in three places in 2000 on a 1999 SS750).

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
emxsp749 said:

Thanks, guys.

-Eric
sorry to hear it, but riding for any length of time takes committment. Skills need to be learned and practiced, your visual horizon needs to be moved farther out, and you have to actively scan and react to things around you.

It's not for everybody.

I've had some of the same riding buddies for almost 20 years.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation... but as a suggestion only, perhaps you might want to take a couple of weeks to think it over before making the decision to sell your bike, which 'may' be impulsive. Perhaps the experience may have just made you a better rider? I am just guessing.

Of course, only you know what's best for you.

Either way, best of luck.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
it's your decision, of course. but i'll suggest anyway, don't be too hasty, if you miss riding but can't get up the nerve, perhaps some advanced training on the relative safety of a track will rebuild your confidence as well as hone your skills. i've had a couple of bad prangs and while i was not legally in the wrong with reflection there were things i coulda and shoulda done. nobody is perfect and we all learn from experience. if you can learn from the close call and put into practise one thing that may have helped at the time you are instantly a better rider for it. i've been riding for over 20 years and can say that as my experience has grown my number of close calls or incidents has fallen, getting hurt sucks, but living a sanitary existence with nothing to break the monotany or lift the spirits is in my opinion not living at all. best wishes.
paul.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:
Hate to hear it. Take some time off, and eventually, you may get to where you want to ride again.

My wife was hit head-on by a girl in an Oldsmobile in June of 2003. After several surguries, including a total hip replacement in Dec, she finally got around to riding her own bike a couple of months ago.....with the help of an eletric shifter because of her paralyzed left foot.

I know what it is like to get the crap scared out of you, but if you love motorcycles and it is in your blood, you'll get back on one.......we all do, eventually (I broke my right femur in three places in 2000 on a 1999 SS750).
That's amazing.
Congrats to your wife :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Track riding

+1 to the suggestion that you keep 'er for the track. Trust me dude, I've tried the "just say no" approach to motorcycling and it lasted all of 2 years. Two miserable years, I might add. If you want to say "no" to street riding, then at least when you sell the 749 go out and buy an ex-race bike (decent ones can be had around $2500-$5000) for track days, or even buy a YSR or an Apriller RS-50 and find a local kart track. Or buy a dirt bike. Something.

I dunno...maybe you'll be able to just put it down and never look back. But if you're anything like me, you'll have to feed the passion at least once every few months.

Good luck,

·
Registered
709 Posts
strip the 749. take it to the track.

buy a monster, a harley, or something else mild and fun, and ride it defensively on the street.

you can still enjoy motorcycling, you just need a different mindset for the street. if you get all your speed aggression out on the track, it is soooo much easier to ride mellow and max defensive on the street.

sometimes, after a long race weekend, I'm not even interested in riding on the street for a few weeks. but, when I do saddle up for a ride into the hills it's with a totally different attitude..I don't mind just cruising and enjoying the scenery. It's far easier to scan and look for idiots if I'm not even starting to push it...just cruising. I really enjoy street riding more now, I feel less obsessed with performance, and see more of what's going on around me.

just my

·
Registered
18 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:

That is amazing about your wife! Kudos to her and we should look to her as an example. As far as selling your bike I agree with the track suggestions. Take it to the track and then every street ride is more mellow.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Life is about falling down every once in a while. Get back up, brush yourself off, and appreciate the lessons life provides you but grow from them. Don't
run off and be afraid to fall again, my friend. You'll not only be a better rider with this attitude, but a better person.

As others suggest, take it to the track. You'll not only get away from drivers who'd just as well run you over than avoid you, but you'll also get to appreciate your motorcycle in a whole new way.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Track days is a good option.....But if you have to go...Well I rspect that...But think of maybe keeping the Duc in the garage or in the living room...They are such a pretty sight even just to look at!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just wrecked my bike and got it back together, Now I'm more paranoid then ever. I think it's making me a better rider (too bad it took a couple of grand).

Also, don't sell your bike. Even if you don't take it to the track, make living room furniture out of it. One day you'll realize how much you missed riding and you may not be financially able to get another one.

Jus' my $0.02

·
Registered
55 Posts
don't sell...

I have watched my grandfather and father do this same thing. They got in an accident or very real close call and they would say "that's it no more riding, too dangerous" and sell their ride.
The problem is they would miss riding so much they would go out and buy another bike next season. My grandfather rode until he was 80, just before he passed(not motorcycle related). Once the love for riding two wheels is in your blood, it ain't easy to get rid of it.
If you like the bike you have don't sell it, unless you're planning an upgrade.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I see your from middletown. I hate middletown. I went to occc at one point in my life and I didn't enjoy riding it up there. All those boy racer kids with their hondas would always try and race me. it was just annoying.

I also took a hard spill. After two of my friends got hit (we are all fine) it freaked me out a little so i decided to sell it. I REGRET it! It's been two years and now I have to save up for another bike. I agree with some of the other guys; I respect you if you want to sell it but I think you should sit on the thought for a little bit. Your going to end up seeing other riders out having fun and your going to be jealous (trust me). Just sit on it for a little bit. You have the bike so if you want it down the road it will be there. If you dont sell it for a month or two the value wont change enough to notice it, but if you sell it then its gone forever. then if you want another one, youll have to realize you made a mistake that is worth a couple of thousands (like I did). thats just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.