Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be buying a 96 Ducati monster 900. I am looking for some ideas on what to look for as far as maintenance and what needs to be replaced/fixed.

My story: I come from a Harley family and have grown up around a lot of Harleys. But I'm well aware that a Ducati is nowhere near a Harley. I'm very much a newbie in this area and all input would be greatly appreciated.

What I know:
-I know to stay away from Marzocchi forks. But how do I know if the bike has these forks?
-I know I need to check when all the maintenance was done tires, brakes, fluids, make sure there is nothing wrong with the chassis, and engine belts. How often should the engine belts be changed?
- and a few other ins and outs.

Basically my big question to you guys and gals is what is there specifically to this bike I should look for and stay away from?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
54 Posts
also check the underside of the engine for oil. when people do their own oil changes they often don't use new crush washers for the drain plug (and the pickup tube screen bolt, if they even know about it), which often leads to very slow leakage

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will soon be buying a 96 Ducati monster 900. I am looking for some ideas on what to look for as far as maintenance and what needs to be replaced/fixed.

My story: I come from a Harley family and have grown up around a lot of Harleys. But I'm well aware that a Ducati is nowhere near a Harley. I'm very much a newbie in this area and all input would be greatly appreciated.

What I know:
-I know to stay away from Marzocchi forks. But how do I know if the bike has these forks?
-I know I need to check when all the maintenance was done tires, brakes, fluids, make sure there is nothing wrong with the chassis, and engine belts. How often should the engine belts be changed?
- and a few other ins and outs.

Basically my big question to you guys and gals is what is there specifically to this bike I should look for and stay away from?

Keep in mind you are buying a bike that is over 15 years old. Don't expect too much. Ducati reliability has improved a lot. Electrics were a major problem back then and you should make sure these have been totally replaced.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
You may want to have a dealership look at it and be sure everything is up to snuff...
Obvious defects to the untrained eye should be a warning flag.
If you really like the bike pay a few $$$ for the mechanic to go over it and put it in the deal that the needed (if any ) work be split or covered by either of you and the seller .
If the bike is trustworthy the seller should be sort of willing to let a trained ducati mechanis go over it .
You should expect to pay for the look over and the seller should pay for the work needed or include it in the price or drop the price,,,
You make the deal that is good for both of you then it is a good deal if both are happy...

Many parts that should have been replaced at that age to make it a "New like safe reliable bike"
Get the help of an expert , (mechanic ) may save you some money and give you the peace of mind factor...
Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! Actually I had a mechanic look it over. The seller specified that the belts were changed less than 3000 miles ago the levels of all fluids are good and clean the chassis is in good condition minus a dent in the gas tank. He specified the fork seals need to be replaced which i already knew. The only thing I am worried about now is the jetting. I asked him and he wasn't sure without riding it but that was against their policy for some reason. So my question is should I change the jetting? It has a k&n filter and an exhaust.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Play hardball with the seller (Is he private) You want to hear it run and get him to take it for a spin so you can hear it, at least.
The belts should be changed every 2 years (I think) if they were changed 3+ years ago you may want to bring them up to date.
As said the bike is older , if you want it for a dayly rider you want reliability.
There is probably not LOTS of buyers for this bike.
Do your math in your favour , IF it needs work you will end up with an expensive older bike, If it needs a lot of work , well is it worth it.
Talk to your mechanic or someone who knows .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts