Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I love detailing my bike as much as the next rider :| but some of the time spent on wheels (specially white ones) is a bit much when I rather be riding and working up more brake dust on my wheels.

Has anyone tried these wheel cleaners such as Sonax that claim to clean wheels with acid-free pH balanced solution? If so, what have you tried that works best?

I am aware that there are several cleaners like this one...

Go!

·
Bon Vivant
10,964 Posts
I use a microfiber cloth and the product formerly known as "Honda Spray" now Bike Spirits (corny name for sure)
The trick is to not let them get too dirty or or to let the dirt, grease etc to sit for very long and solidify.
A lift and stands really help - I put my bike on the lift every couple of rides and clean the whole thing including the chain and the wheels. The front wheel is my toughest job because of the rotors. To really clean it well you need to remove it and remove the rotors. I try to do that at every tire change.

You know that wheel was filthy after a day at the track!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Dawn dish soap in a diluted solution with distilled water and a microfiber cloth. Then a second spray and wipe with plain distilled water to get any soap residue off. It cleans all the road grime and brake dust right off no problem and will not stain. I do this on the engine, frame, forks, headlamp...hell basically everything but the bodywork.

The black wheels on my 748 cafe will get a light wipe with spray detail as well if I'm heading to a show and want to keep them a bit shiny for when I get there but otherwise just soap and water. Never done me wrong, and it's dirt cheap. A gallon of distilled water, and two spray bottles from the local hardware store. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive never seen a" spray and rinse" product do a decent job of cleaning anything...
The effect described above will only occur if your wheel have been coated with a sealant like opticoat, cquartz or xpel and you use a power washer (or high pressure hose). Even after coating, the effect will wear off in about 6 months of regular washing, sometimes up to a year. That being said, Sonax (and other detail-grade equivalents) does an exceptional job at removing built up brake dust deposits. If you only wash your bike once every couple months, definitely hit the wheels with some Sonax; for the normal bi-weekly wash, its not really necessary. The regular car/motorcycle shampoo you are using should clean the wheels right up.

·
Bon Vivant
10,964 Posts
The effect described above will only occur if your wheel have been coated with a sealant like opticoat, cquartz or xpel and you use a power washer (or high pressure hose). Even after coating, the effect will wear off in about 6 months of regular washing, sometimes up to a year. That being said, Sonax (and other detail-grade equivalents) does an exceptional job at removing built up brake dust deposits. If you only wash your bike once every couple months, definitely hit the wheels with some Sonax; for the normal bi-weekly wash, its not really necessary. The regular car/motorcycle shampoo you are using should clean the wheels right up.
I might try something like this on my car but its too much trouble on the bike - I can wipe the wheels down with the method I described above well before I could get out a pressure washer. And I dont take my bikes to a car wash or use a high pressure water on them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ask because white wheels are a total b*tch to keep clean. I wash my bike and after 4 days or so they are filthy!

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I use a microfiber cloth and the product formerly known as "Honda Spray" now Bike Spirits (corny name for sure)
The trick is to not let them get too dirty or or to let the dirt, grease etc to sit for very long and solidify.
A lift and stands really help - I put my bike on the lift every couple of rides and clean the whole thing including the chain and the wheels. The front wheel is my toughest job because of the rotors. To really clean it well you need to remove it and remove the rotors. I try to do that at every tire change.

You know that wheel was filthy after a day at the track!
OK I'm calling first dibs if you ever sell your streetfighter! She is gorgeous!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts