Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
To be honest...I hate to say this but i agree on some points.

Every time i'm somewhere where bikes go by that are obnoxiously loud, i'm embarassed to say I ride a motorcycle. I'm not saying NONE of my bikes are louder than stock...but all are well below legal decibel levels at city cruising speeds.

I don't care what story you have, or your friend has, loud pipes saving lives is the biggest load of horse crap there is.

It's just rude, I may love the way a ducati sounds completely unbaffled, but I also love macaroni and cheese and I don't force people to eat mac and cheese. Bad analogy but hopefully it kind makes sense lol.

I'm all for some form of enforcement...but to be honest there are fewer offenders that go above what I consider the limit for good sounding on any bike that i've experienced around my area anyways. It's maybe 1 out of every 50 bikers....more people have windows tinted illegally around here and they sure as heck don't enforce that.

My comfort level for exhaust is if I can drive down my street at 30mph at 2am and not be worried about waking neighbors up heh...subjective I know...and a very disjointed post...but i'm bored at work.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have included in my post I don't think open pipes are necessary to save lives.. the fact is they are just way too loud - save that for the track. Are more laws needed??? Can't say I approve of that. How many friggin laws are needed?? It creates a larger thumb to press us further into the ground creating less and less freedom for all of us... Should government rule every part of our lives?

Unfortunately it only takes a few to mess things up for everyone else... Must be those "Bad Seed Bikers" again... :D

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
What about Trains, Helicopters, Tractor Trailer trucks and thunder storms?

Motorcycles don't make nearly as much noise as any of those and one of those comes from nature!

I bet the writer of this article never knew that steam trains were louder then diesel trains, steam train whistles could be heard for miles. Wanna talk about noise pollution, in the past it was WAY worse then today in some cases.

Helicopters in Los Angeles make so much noise, no matter where you live, its a problem.

Needless to say, people who write articles bitching about car and motorcycle noise either have a neighbor or husband who is loud.

YES, I agree on some of her points, especially the one about cops not obeying the laws. But legislation to mandate exhaust noise on all exhausts in the united states!?!? Crazy, thats never gonna happen and how will it help? The streets will be 20db's quieter... big deal, that's nothing.

If they want a quieter neighborhood, move the railways... LOL :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I'm not agreeing there should be more laws, i'm agreeing they should start enforcing the ones that exists before just making more.

Tye you are missing the point completely and I don't even know where to begin with a rebuttal to what you said lol. I guess it boils down to comparing apples to oranges...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I do not want to thread hi-jack, but on more then one occasion (driving my car) the only reason I was aware of a motorcycle proximity was due to the motorcycle exhaust sound. Ducati's are pretty small bikes, and when I drive my car I am often reminded of just how easy it is not to see them. I happen to agree some motorcycle exhaust noise will help alert and make an auto driver more aware. Question is how much "noise" is effective, and at what point is it overkill. Annoucing your presence with a termi exhaust and throttle blip is pretty effective. I rode a stock 999 with stock exhaust and can say for sure with the currrent 999s and termi's I more "visible" on the road.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The problem is they won't set a standard level for noise to enforce. There will be a patchwork of laws for noise control that will ultimately result in not allowing any after market exhaust systems to be used, and then they may eventually take away our motorcycles all together! You know, how dangerous bikes are!;)

Sound familiar gun owners?

G

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the worst noise offenders are cruisers with open pipes. If you look at the majority of aftermarket exhaust systems for non cruiser bikes you will see that most have some kind of baffles. Therefore they are not as loud as they could have been.

Cruisers, on the other hand, almost always come straight pipes. Not surprisingly, most are deafeningly loud.

This morning I was following a guy on VTX with open pipes. His bike was so loud that even though he was a block ahead of me I could barely hear my Multistrada with full Termignoni system. I think my bike is reasonably loud and his was just obnoxious.

Who would be pulled over and ticketed by police first? I think Bologna beauty would be the first victim. In fact, I have never heard any stories about cruiser riders getting tickets for loud pipes. Is this fair? Hell no.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Judging by the articles on "coring" your stock exhaust, a lot of people think that Ducati's need to be loud. It's an image thing. If you need more power (the usual excuse), buy a faster bike.

·
Registered
347 Posts
"Loud clutches save lives"
Damn, that's funny, Bob. You need to turn that into a bumper sticker.

Regarding loud pipes on Harleys and their metric clones, that's been getting a lot better lately. There was a time when lots of bikers put straight pipes on their Harleys, but thanks to internet forums the word has gotten out that straight pipes kill performance.

I love the sound of a Harley engine with aftermarket pipes, but only to a point. I took an experienced rider course about a decade ago behind a guy with straight pipes and after half an hour I was ready to strangle him. He was just put-putting and I was wearing ear plugs, but it was freakin awful.

I'm currently in the infatuation stage with the sound of my stock Ducati 800SS engine with stock pipes. I can't imagine what I'd do if I had a slightly louder exhaust. Probably leave my wife.

ape

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Relying on noise to be seen on your bike is not riding responsibly.

Don't put yourself in the motorists blind spot, watch the driver in the car next to you, watch the tires of the car next to you, don't sit at stop lights in neutral with your hands off of the controls, I could go on and on and on.

These are all extremely simple things that I do every single day when I ride.

If I have someone come over into my lane, yeah, it pisses me off, but after the fact, I look back at it and realize that it's because I sat too long in their blind spot. Sure, shame on them for not looking, but even more shame on me for not being proactive about protecting MYSELF. I don't need loud exhaust to make sure I'm seen, I need to use my brain.

While I'm on this soap box...I'm so sick and tired of hearing about people being being hit from behind at stop lights or stop signs. I'm equally sick and tired of seeing people on bikes sitting at these same places in neutral, both feet on the ground and both hands on the tank, parked immediately behind the car in front of them. What happens now when a car comes hauling down on them from behind? First of all, they're never checking their mirrors. Secondly, if they DID see a car bearing down on them, they would have to frantically get into first gear...then where would they have to go? No where...

All could have been avoided...sure, the person in the car could have been paying attention, but why rely on that?

/rant

Sure, loud pipes might save lives...but proactive thinking would save a LOT more.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Agreed

When I want to hear how great my Duc sounds with aftermarket cans, I ride next to one of my buddies.

I can actually hear the front tire on the pavement. Sounds weird !!

FWIW, I keep two different full systems hanging in the garage for trackdays.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So anyone who puts pipes on their bikes is a "bad seed biker" That gave me a laugh. I do agree that some riders go overboard, but this article was crap.

"Experts with DOT can surely confirm that, if City Council were to inquire." on loud pipes DON'T save lives. Prove it sorry.

"We have to stop thinking about their rights and look at what
unnecessary noise does to children, the elderly, as well as those with cardiovascular conditions making surprise loud noises harmful," Hold on let me just have a heart attack when that bike goes by. That's crazyyyy

I'm sorry IMHO this person is a quack, no pun intended. THAT is the kind of person that gives the public the Negative view of the motorcycle community. People like that piss me off.

Don't get my wrong, I believe that loud pipes only save lives to a certain point. The rest is up to the motorists, both the 2 wheel and 4 wheel variety. I don't care how much reflective material I have to wear, but I can't be responsible for ALL of the other drivers on the road. I think it comes down to educating the cage drivers. I honestly think that in most motorcycle/car accidents, the car is at fault.

Rant done

Have fun and be safe out there!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Whether you like/enjoy the sound of loud pipes, the reality I think most of us deep down know is that the general public *isn't* into motorcycles like we are and when they are loud to the point that they are obnoxious it ends up reflecting poorly on all of us. Whether you think it is your right to blast up my street at 2am with 100db+ pipes blaring is really not the point. If we want to change the public perception of motorcycles here in the States, we need to start looking at ourselves and ask critically if what we do gives a positive or negative viewpoint.

If you've ever been to Europe you've seen how accepting the general public is to the motorcycling world over there. People can walk into a cafe in full leathers and nobody thinks twice or looks at them funny. Riders are courteous, wear full gear and don't have loud obnoxious exhaust systems.

I have a full Termi system on my sport classic and while I love the added character that the exhaust adds to the bike, I think it is just too loud. If I have to think twice about how much throttle I give the bike in residential areas because it becomes too loud, then it just starts to eat into the fun. That said, I hated the stock exhaust note - largely because it was nonexistent.

Now if there was a set of Termi's that gave my sport classic a better exhaust note but was still restrained I'd be all over that. Leaving the db killers results in less power on the dyno than that stock exhuast, so that's not an option. I guess what I'm getting at is if the exhaust manufacturers could find a way to "tune" an exhaust system to make it more interesting than stock, flow a bit more than stock and provide a modest power gain while retaining an acceptable level of noise, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Just more random thoughts...

-j

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I'll get rid of my loud pipes when they get rid of their cell phones!!!

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
i got termis on my hyper (2 slipons), and they were to loud without the baffles. I was causing a scene in the parking garage at work. There is a line between melodious and obnoxious, and for me....it is Termis with the baffles IN.

I went to a campground recently, and they had a "no motorcycles allowed" sign. When I inquired why....the owner went into the rant about the noise, nasty Harley gangs, and went on about the nuisances.

Tread lightly, right?
:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Let's face it the majority of obnoxiously loud bikes are HDs with straight pipes. Not to mention the jackass fashion in which most of their owners ride. But I guess you can't blame them for wanting to wind out the first three gears just to hit 30 mph.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts