Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, thanks to everyone who answered the call on my last thread. just a recap of my circumstances:

the facts:
* been riding for 9 years: ninja 250 --> 748 --> currently riding a 2006 red 749 with LOW miles, still under warranty
* i love my 749 but truthfully am never using it to its capacity
* i have eyes for another - the gt
* i do a lot of city riding and ride as aggressively as michigan roads permit, but cruising speed on freeways/highways for me is 85-95 mph
* have no interest in ever riding above 120 mph, and slow it up when i catch myself cresting 100
* i dont have time for track days (wish i did)
* i weigh about 220 lbs / 100 kg
* my insurance co is cheap (and so im not switching), but rates the gt at $200 more per yr than my 749 due to displacement
* money is an issue (grad student)
* i know of a gt with 4k miles listed for $7500, no warranty
* my dealer has a new '08 for $10k, and a demo '08 for slightly less
* my dealer offered $7500 in trade for my 749

my options:
* keep my 749
* get the used '07 gt for less but then no warranty and must sell my 749 for who knows how much
* trade my 749 in for a full warrantied gt at the dealer costing me $2k or so in the process
* and no, cannot afford both (just purchased an engagement ring)

my concerns:

based on responses from a previous thread, looks like a TMSD, new forks, and tubeless rims are critical changes for those fearing the evil tankslapper. my dealer says im crazy and that suspension issues on the gt are not common, but our forum as me concerned otherwise. sadly i like the look of spoked wheels, so if i go the alpina route im estimating $2500-$3000 in total upgrades.

obviously this is a judgment call, and here i am look for believers among the choir, but fellas is it worth it? the expense and headache of the mods has got me really down. dont get me wrong, i am looking forward to modding the bike, just was not expecting to have to do so much so soon to a modern (albeit retro repro) bike.

·
Registered
737 Posts
At the very least, you need a TMSD with the GT. Yes, the stock suspensions crap...but it's a retro bike, they're suposed to be crap. I'd suggest taking a few of the sports classics for a ride and seeing which suits you best. Once you get the GT, half the fun is modding it and making it your own...

There seems a bit of a tendancy to turn the GT into something else once purchased. Adding a cowl, clipons etc... I suggest before you pull the pin, weigh up your options and buy right. Once you've got some miles under your belt...spend up big!! :D

Best of luck!!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
these bikes need no warranty in my opinion,
sorry, i forgot about your fuel tank issue for
a second.
okay, these bikes need no warranty in my
opinion unless you gas them up with fuel
that contains ethanol.

keep the 749 and buy a radar detector instead.

:abduct:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Stressfest gives some excellent advice above, especially the part about knowing what you want prior to buying. Don't get a GT if you want to make it look like a SC1000S, just buy the latter. Personally, I don't feel the steering damper is a "must have" item, as I've never had issues with steering stability; however, I don't tend to ride on really horribly rutted roads. Of course, YMMV. Regarding the tank issue, it'll be warranteed for at least 5 years from new, and most people have no problems getting replacements as needed. It's rumored that Ducati will eventually come up with a fix. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
ducatidoc - while many insurance companies do seem to make it expensive to insure a GT, it's typically because they just see "Ducati" and assume its a dangerous high performance sport bike. Foremost is very reasonable as they've partnered with Ducati and consider the GT a standard rather than a sport bike. I'm paying just a few bucks a month more than Dairyland quoted me to insure a Triumph Scrambler, which is a much more mild-mannered bike.

Regarding your love of cruising at 85-95 mph, the GT is perfect for that, since with the stock sprockets you'd only be pulling about 4500-5000 rpm in 6th at that speed, and at that range the engine is smooth, powerful, and reasonably fuel efficient.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
(just purchased an engagement ring)
QUICK!!! do something fast because after you say "I do" your ability to buy more motorcycles, expensive parts, etc. decreases drastically. Not impossible, mind you, just MUCH harder.

I don't care how long you've been together, I don't care that "she knows I ride already" I don't care that she is the coolest chick in the whole universe. It will be harder. So figure it out and do it fast.

·
Registered
737 Posts
QUICK!!! do something fast because after you say "I do" your ability to buy more motorcycles, expensive parts, etc. decreases drastically. Not impossible, mind you, just MUCH harder.

I don't care how long you've been together, I don't care that "she knows I ride already" I don't care that she is the coolest chick in the whole universe. It will be harder. So figure it out and do it fast.
Wot he said :D

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
It comes down to taste. I don't fancy the stock GT much despite it being almost the same bike as the Sport. Having said that, I think Dietrich and Nimi's GTs are totally cool bikes. Depends where you want to go with it.
I owned a 70s GT750 and always wished I'd bought the 750Sport so when the time came to buy my new Duc there was no question. It had to be the Sport.

·
Registered
503 Posts

That's not quite fair.......you have just assumed he got engaged to a GIRL...wot if he is gay :confused:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
muschi - they cut our gas here in michigan with ethanol. am hoping for the fix

stmike, i couldnt agree with ya more except for the fact that i like the tank and colors better on the gt. just a matter of taste, and my luck i choose the one that needs more work done.

bly ill have to do more digging for pics of deitrichs and nimi's gt's. have seen their posts, but am not familiar with all of their mods.

as for my fiancee, she's joked that maybe we can ride away on the gt as we leave the church. ;-)

i have a test ride scheduled for a couple of weeks from now once work settles down. we'll see i guess.

·
Registered
737 Posts
A good place to start is the sport classic pic sticky at the top of the page. Many options there to blow your cash :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
test ride as much as you can. think you may find some mods are not that 'urgent'.

if the tankslapper is your mayor concern, the TMSD should be enough to avoid it. (but I've done 10.000 km without it and no issues)

·
Registered
702 Posts
bly ill have to do more digging for pics of deitrichs and nimi's gt's. have seen their posts, but am not familiar with all of their mods.
Thanks Bly.

Here is a quick walk around. List of mods too long to list, but the intent is to make a GT/S. Like you, I love the color and the tank. Major modifications so far: custom seat - Stainetunes - DP clip-ons - Swatt rearsets - Pazzo levers- LE adj., TiNd and anodized forks - black wheels - Ohlins shocks (not pictured) - GTR hugger - Dietrich brackets - fork guards - frame and wheel sliders - horn relo - 14 tooth - light flywheel - Kuan/Ohlins damper - FLEDA rear signals- Wetsen front turn signals - various other bits and pieces from Rizoma and Speedy Moto. Soon to arrive cowled seat. Soon to come more power.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
If the used one for sale has, say, termis and the ECU, buy that. You are eventually going to do that anyway, and it is not cheap.

It is true that the GT needs some changes to make it what it should be, but some are cheap (front sprocket), and none are urgent. If you like the idea of fiddling with the bike a bit over time, then it is a great choice.

From what you wrote, I am guessing you are with State Farm. Problem with those guys is that they charge twice as much to insure two bikes as one. Otherwise, I would be putting the bug in your ear to keep the 749 and buy the GT as well. They really are very different bikes, and suited to different purposes.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have a PS and my neighbor has a GT so we have traded off a bit. I am about your weight so I would suggest you look at upgrading the rear shocks especially if you are going to ride 2 up. On the forks, someone like Traxxion Dynamics in Canton GA could do wonders with tuning up the stock forks or you may want to consider their internal cartridges which make the forks adjustable. Much cheaper than an Ohlins conversion. I did Matris carts on my Monster and it was perfect for about $800.
As for the look and riding style you mention, the GT should be very satisfying and in my opinion will not lose its pananche. Then again, I thought the Norton Commando was the ultimate.

There is something great about standard motorcycles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The GT is a fabulous, versatile bike. The only real problem with it, IMO, is the suspension. I think your dealer is trying too hard to make a sale.

I'm 250lbs and I was bottoming out the stock suspension regularly. It is set up for about 170lbs. This is absurd considering it is supposed to be a two-up "tourer." For about a grand I switched to YSS shocks and Race Tech springs. Huge difference. This bike now handles the worst roads I can throw at it with ease -- and I do mean some really bad roads.

I have a damper on mine, but I don't know if it's as important for the GT as it is for the SC. I've not heard of any GT slappers, yet.

I also have the stock rims, with tubes. I think they work fine. Sure there are lighter wheels, etc. But if you're riding this bike as you describe, the extra weight is nothing. As for tubes, I ride with guys on vintage bikes and flats with tubed tires are not unmanageable blowouts, nor are they very common.

So, my 2c: if you get the bike, you should upgrade the suspension and then do anything else as time and money allow -- or not at all, if time and money are scarce. No need to break the bank.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If I may offer my two penn'orth?

I've only had my GT for just under 2 weeks & I moved from a 695 Monster (but had a GSX1400 prior to that). I find the GT to be a really enjoyable bike to ride on the rural roads I frequent in the UK. I'm no Mike Hailwood so I haven't placed the suspension under any real duress yet. I view the GT as a bike I can modify over time - but only if I want to. My bike already has a number of modifications but it's still running stock suspension, albeit with Excel wheels as per the Sport 1000 bikes. I will probably switch to tubeless wheels when the tyres are due for a change & will see how I get on with the stock suspension. Meanwhile I'll just enjoy riding the bike.

Good news on the marital harmony front - my wife enjoys riding on the back of the GT much more than she did on the Monster!

Why not take the future Mrs Ducatidoc for a test ride on the back of the GT?
I took Mrs H on the test ride & she gave the GT the 'thumbs up' straight away. Mind you, she'd had to endure 50 miles on the back of the Monster in order to reach the dealer's prior to riding the GT....

·
Registered
985 Posts
I weigh 175, and the wife 140. We have not been able to bottom the stock suspension. I love the two up ride.

Replacing the stock steel wheels with Ducati spoked light alloy units really improved the solo ride. It continues to improve as I rack up the miles. Don't know whether this is because the stock suspension has broken in, or I've just come to like it.

I've done the clip on, forward leaning, narrow bars thing with more than one bike. I much prefer the more upright (but not upright) seating posture of the GT. I believe the wider bars make the bike more manouverable (and survivable) in traffic. They just give a more relaxed, controllable ride.

No mods to my bike except those mentioned above, plus a FatDuc O2 amnipulator.

The GT is a great bike, even an inspired bike. Go with your heart.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks much everyone; i have received some very constructive advice here.

asking price on the stock '07 gt with 4k miles for sale locally is $7500, which i believe is too much (a dealer offered me their '07 demo gt with 600 miles for $8k last fall including a full warranty). can anyone confirm that this indeed is too much? what's a fair price for that bike?

ill test ride the dealer's demo and figure out which i prefer. hopefully selling my 749 wont be too hard in this economy (very bad here in michigan).

by the way, it's too bad this bike doesnt come with a dry clutch. that's definitely something ill miss as part of the duc experience... unless that's just another potential mod.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
...asking price on the stock '07 gt with 4k miles for sale locally is $7500, which i believe is too much (a dealer offered me their '07 demo gt with 600 miles for $8k last fall including a full warranty). can anyone confirm that this indeed is too much? what's a fair price for that bike?...
ducatidoc - like with anything, a "fair" price is dictated by supply and demand. Back in March, I paid $8250 for my '07 GT consigment bike that came with CRG mirrors, a nice Ducati full-face helmet, 3100 miles on it, was in great shape, and had a little over a year left on the warranty - and was red!. The seller was asking $8500, but later, the dealer let slip that the guy probably would've take $8000 for it. That's actually what I'd planned on offering, but I panicked because when I came back to do a deal, another guy was hovering over it for 20 minutes and the odometer told me it'd been on several more test rides since I'd taken mine just a few days before. In other words, I worried demand was exceeding supply:eek:.

Anyway, I feel I got a fair deal, especially considering the other bike I was considering would've been a lot more out the door and less bang for the buck. However, in a month or so I sure could use that $250 I might've saved to put towards a new pair of sneakers for my baby due to all the fun miles I'm racking up. . .:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts