Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
If I was closer I'd go check it out. Replacing most of the body work with 999 plastic because of a "minor spill" sounds suspect to me. But 315 miles? If that's accurate, wow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the one you got. Just remember, wheelies make your nuts hurt.

Ride safe

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You do have quite a bike

I like the one you got. Just remember, wheelies make your nuts hurt.

Ride safe

U R kidding me your bike it is a goddess (999R XEROX) OMG beautiful bikes (Monster) you do have there my friend nicely done.

But thanks anyways.

And you are right wheelies does hurt your nuts.

C U later Doc

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I was closer I'd go check it out. Replacing most of the body work with 999 plastic because of a "minor spill" sounds suspect to me. But 315 miles? If that's accurate, wow.
You've to watch the youtube video.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not a very good deal, has been down and he says repairable fairings, meaning they are hammered. I was offered a stock 06 with 2k miles a few months ago for 11K and I passed as I already own one, but that was a much better deal than this one in my opinion, but whatever, buy an r at the price of an S whoever one the auction.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I would have passed on that as well... maybe I'd consider it for a track only bike if the frame, wheels, forks, etc... were verified straight. It must have gone down pretty good as the headlight, bucket, ears, body, etc... are all gone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ha, no way I would ever buy that bike, ever. Look at the guy selling it, how he starts it and how he takes off without warming it up, anyone who hits the start button all hard the second time like that look at his arm and body and how hard he is hitting it and he does not even know the proper way of starting the bike. You can see him pump the throttle a few more times before he hits the start button, and you can tell he cant ride look at how he takes off all jerky and chicken walking the bike out. WOW good luck. Plus who the heck cares if the blinkers work, when I am buying a bike I am concord with about a million things before I look into if the blinkers work. And he only shows the front nose piece damaged, wonder how the rest look. Good luck my 8,300 or whatever plus tax and travel expense would never be spent on this bike. But hey each to their own, and after all then you could say you own an R if that is what is important for you go for it. Save 2k more and buy the RIGHT ONE. Good day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Probably bought it at auction or from private party all cheap thinking it was a killer deal and had himself a heart attack when he found out how much OEM replacement fairings for the 04 749r (only year 749r with carbon) were. I think list is all crazy like 5-6k, dont quote me, but I believe that it is in that price range just for fairings not including the nose. But hey whatever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just saw the fairings, good luck on "Straight Frame", dont take his word as fact please have check out if you are buying.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ha, no way I would ever buy that bike, ever. Look at the guy selling it, how he starts it and how he takes off without warming it up, anyone who hits the start button all hard the second time like that look at his arm and body and how hard he is hitting it and he does not even know the proper way of starting the bike. You can see him pump the throttle a few more times before he hits the start button, and you can tell he cant ride look at how he takes off all jerky and chicken walking the bike out. WOW good luck. Plus who the heck cares if the blinkers work, when I am buying a bike I am concord with about a million things before I look into if the blinkers work. And he only shows the front nose piece damaged, wonder how the rest look. Good luck my 8,300 or whatever plus tax and travel expense would never be spent on this bike. But hey each to their own, and after all then you could say you own an R if that is what is important for you go for it. Save 2k more and buy the RIGHT ONE. Good day.
All valid points. however what rubbed me the wrong way was how he start the bike and just went way..I guess you get what you paid for. I've paid about the same for my 2006 749 but my bike it was showroom condition flawless.
Like Desmo have said it would be a great track bike if the frame were to be straight.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
My suspicions went way up by just seeing both left and right fairings were hammered. That tells me the bike flipped over which means more of a chance to do some real damage. For those purists like TMAC25 indicated, carbon fairings are very costly for the 749R. I don't know if the originals are repairable and you have the damaged nose thrown in there too. Like others have said best to get the bike totally checked out and I'm in agreement with Desmoworks about it being a dedicated track bike. Factoring the costs to bring it back to stock condition the price is where it ought to be.

·
Registered
406 Posts
All valid points. however what rubbed me the wrong way was how he start the bike and just went way..I guess you get what you paid for. I've paid about the same for my 2006 749 but my bike it was showroom condition flawless.
Like Desmo have said it would be a great track bike if the frame were to be straight.
For his video sales pitch, he would've been smart if had the bike already warmed up, which could've been the case. The throttle pumping is very questionable though.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Just for reference I bought a 749 off ebay before FROM A DEALER that had bodywork in the same condition. I was told it had been checked out and was straight, etc...

When the bike was delivered it would hardly roll as the front axle was so bent! There were tons of other parts tweaked and it cost me a fortune to replace all the bent shit... I lost quite a bit of money on that one - so definitely have an independent inspection done by a company who has the equipment and knowledge before buying any crashed bike!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was one of the bidders (actually the guy who came in second). I was looking to use the bike in a motorcycle maintenance/repair course offered here in LA. I figured by the time I was done I'd have gone through the entire bike with room for a couple thousand dollar budget to deal with issues (even thought I'd take a stab at the CF repair). I figured at the end I'd have learned something, had a bike I was certain about, and worth more than what I was bidding. If the low milage was accurate, that would have been a significant added bonus. To be sure I had all the same worries expressed in this thread and even a few others, like why an incomplete VIN number included in the listing?

My final goal was to end up with a dedicated track bike. The 999S plastics didn't bother me - if I had a better-condition 749R model I'd swap out the CF anyway for Sharkskins or something I'd have to pay extra for. I'd be too worried about crashing with the CF on!

I was originally thinking $8,000 but did get a little carried away at the end and raised my final bid somewhat. Still, I believe it would have been well suited for my purposes, and I'd be chasing Tye at the Auto Club Speedway soon enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts