Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think the title says it all. i left my 04 749 outside of the house for three hours, and then i get a call from my gf saying its on its side. i live on a dead end road, and never thought this would happen. anyway, right fairing is scratched, right mirror busted, clutch cover scratched, rear brake lever ruined, the plastic next to the seat and behind the seat are all cracked. and my insurance company ran the numbers at 300 dollars in damages. just the plastic alone is going to be more than that.

so 2 questions:
1 i wanted to fix the bike on my own, because the last time i had it done at a dealership, they replaced 4400 dollars of stuff, that i could have done for a lot less so how do i thoroughly check the bike for damage myself? i think there is nothing functionally wrong, but just want to make sure.

2 the appraiser came by while i was out. i think he may be coming again after my complaining, but how do i develop a case for getting more money? is there a place for retail prices of all OEM parts so i can add it up?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Easy...take the bike to the dealer and have the insurance guy go there.

·
Registered
920 Posts
What kind of insurance do you have? Sounds a little strange to me.

Every time I've had a claim with a car or bike I go to my adjuster and set up where I want to have the work done. Take the vehicle to said shop, pay my deductible and leave. When vehicle is ready, I get a call to pick it up. I really don't care how much it costs, that's why you have insurance.

Are you saying your insurance co. adjuster looks at the damage then cuts you a check if you agree on the amount and from that point you're on you're own?

If you have a very small deductible and had a small ding you may elect to just take the $ and not fix it. At that point the adjuster would document in great detail with pictures and written description so you couldn't make another claim for the same damage in the future.

·
Registered
570 Posts
What did you expect? You have nothing to argue with other than your assertion (which I'm sure is correct, by the way) that $300 won't fix it. Go to the dealer, have it written up, then you have something to argue with. Pretty simple process, really, especially for a Ducati. Other than possibly getting some parts used, the only real parts source is the dealer. Get paid, then figure out what you do from there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The dealer and appraiser should come up with a quote to repair the bike, then cut you a check to have it fixed. You can hand the check over to the dealer and have it fixed or use the money and do it yourself. The check should go to you since it's your property that got damaged.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so to specify. i told my insurance i wanted to do this on my own, because the last time i had the dealer fix it, my insurance company cut them a check for 4400 dollars for just cosmetic damages, and honestly, i could have used that money for a new clutch cover instead of paying 100usd for an OEM one, and 300 dollars for an OEM seat. i just thought that i could have bought some bits i really wanted at less cost than what the OEM parts were, AND i could have had my bike to ride as apposed to waiting for 6 weeks while my bike sits in a shop as parts come in from italy.

so yeah, this time i chose not to go to the dealer, and the appraiser is charging up costs like 45 dollars for an OEM clutch cover, and not even choosing to fix the scratched up fairing.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i had a similar situation... had the insurance adjuster meet with me and my bike at the dealer... did all of the paper work.. got the quote, and the check.

i then went to the parts dept. and spoke with the guy that was gonna order the parts... i told him i was gonna try and find some of the stuff on my own and use some of the cash for more mods that would end up being ordered and done at the shop anyhow... there was no problem at all...

i'm a firm believer in direct conversation... tell the guys at the dealership your thoughts and why you have them... i've always had better results. don't hold your thoughts back.. the dealers know that they are expensive... but in the end... they want your business. How you speak to them goes a long way... I'm also not afraid to go to a second dealership if the first one seems stubborn.. but i'll tell the first dealership that ahead of time... in the end.. the first dealership has done well by me.. but i know that some dealerships may be a little different.. in the end.. it's your money and your bike... do what feels right to you...

·
Registered
989 Posts
so to specify. i told my insurance i wanted to do this on my own, because the last time i had the dealer fix it, my insurance company cut them a check for 4400 dollars for just cosmetic damages, and honestly, i could have used that money for a new clutch cover instead of paying 100usd for an OEM one, and 300 dollars for an OEM seat. i just thought that i could have bought some bits i really wanted at less cost than what the OEM parts were, AND i could have had my bike to ride as apposed to waiting for 6 weeks while my bike sits in a shop as parts come in from italy.

so yeah, this time i chose not to go to the dealer, and the appraiser is charging up costs like 45 dollars for an OEM clutch cover, and not even choosing to fix the scratched up fairing.

It's no wonder they don't want to give you very much.. You're suggesting you're not going to fix it like they expect you to. Last time you wanted to go buy other stuff..

You pay insurance to repaire your bike back to the way it was proior to the accident.. not so you can buy upgrades or have a holiday in Europe.

If you are near 2 dealers, get an estimate on repairs from each of them, if you get just one that's also fine. If you don't want to repair your bike, don't put in a claim. If you want some of it reepaired, get estimates for that and be happy with what you get.

remember, if you have existing damage on your bike, you are required to tell them so they can take that into account with your premiums and future pay outs.. This may bite you on the arse though.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
You'll probably end up paying more in increased premiums than it would to repair the bike with used parts.

Even tho I have full coverage, I have the highest deductible for collision and a reasonable comprehensive deductible. My mentality is if I wreck it, then I'll fix it myself unless it's a total loss; likewise if the bike gets damaged/stolen. I pay less than $400/yr for two bikes so I figure with the $$ saved on premiums, I still come out on top. To each his own.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I feel your pain. I have almost the same exact thread going on right here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=76929

For pricing on OEM parts you can go to http://www.ducatiomaha.com/products.asp. They also have the full spare parts catalog online.
+1

The catalog worked for me, and I was able to find the actual oem part numbers. I talked to my dealer today and confirmed that the prices I found on Ducati Omaha's site were spot on for new OEM. Good ammunition before you talk to an insurance adjuster.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
You'll probably end up paying more in increased premiums than it would to repair the bike with used parts
Indeed. My collision insurance is in case of catastrofe, and only my 999R has it. My SS and ST2 only have fire/theft, and I'll even drop that in a couple years.

The few times I've been hit have been dealt with without insurance as well. Best was when my LeMans got rear-ended near Bologna. Guy gave me his card, told me to send him the bill. Got an estimate by phone from a dealer friend in Italy, they sent it too him, and he paid before I even showed up to get the parts. I guessed the woman in the car (who was driving) wasn't his wife!

Tom

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The few times I've been hit have been dealt with without insurance as well. Best was when my LeMans got rear-ended near Bologna. Guy gave me his card, told me to send him the bill. Got an estimate by phone from a dealer friend in Italy, they sent it too him, and he paid before I even showed up to get the parts. I guessed the woman in the car (who was driving) wasn't his wife!

Tom
wait a sec ... you mean an italian that is cheating on his wife? this is unheard of :rolleyes:

btw, was this accident on the tangenziale right behind the ducati factory? there are molto hookers in that area ... don't ask how i know. :cool:

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
wait a sec ... you mean an italian that is cheating on his wife? this is unheard of :rolleyes:

btw, was this accident on the tangenziale right behind the ducati factory? there are molto hookers in that area ... don't ask how i know. :cool:
It was where the highway from Florence feeds into the Milan/Ancona one.

The hookers are all over Bologna, it's known for that.

Lots along the road from Saronno to Monza too.

Tom

·
Registered
920 Posts
Indeed. My collision insurance is in case of catastrofe, and only my 999R has it. My SS and ST2 only have fire/theft, and I'll even drop that in a couple years.

Tom
Regardless who was in the car with the gentlemen that hit you, that is just fantastic! That would be a rarity in the US, almost unheard of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts