Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: 2000 900SS fuelie

Does anyone here know what size / thread pitch the plug in the bottom of the fuel tank is?

With this crappy "obama" fuel we are so blessed with , I'd like to bell to drain the tank easily. I am in hopes to put either a drain valve in or a hose barb and mount a fuel valve remote.

Thanks to all who can help !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is on mine ...... certainly looks factory . Bike has under 7500 miles , i know the previous owner , he would not have done anything like that! Left rear corner behind the hinge.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Although blending ethanol with gas started in the 1920's it was Federally mandated in the US in 2005 and the mandate was further expanded in 2007. The stuff killed two fuel tanks on my Sport Classic. And "W" was the Prez when both mandates were passed by Congress and he is who then signed it into law not 44.
However, my '96 SS does have that drain plug in the left rear corner. But I have no idea what size thread it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi StraDuc,
Thanks for that calm note of historic clarification. BTW, my '03 1000SS-DS doesn't have the "drain" plug. Good idea though...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although blending ethanol with gas started in the 1920's it was Federally mandated in the US in 2005 and the mandate was further expanded in 2007. The stuff killed two fuel tanks on my Sport Classic. And "W" was the Prez when both mandates were passed by Congress and he is who then signed it into law not 44.
However, my '96 SS does have that drain plug in the left rear corner. But I have no idea what size thread it is.
Sorry I upset you ..... I've never heard anyone refer to this crappy fuel we get as "Bush Fuel" ! Do you know why ? He G.W. may have enacted the mandate , However Obama set into action the implementation of the mandate even against the opinion of the E.P.A. ! Thus the wording (slang) "Obama Fuel"

*****Washington has long encouraged the production of ethanol as a “green” alternative to fossil fuels, but the policy got a big boost in 2007 when Congress passed and President George W. Bush signed a law mandating the blending of ethanol into gasoline. The law was supported wholeheartedly by then-Sen. Barack Obama.
Once in the White House, Obama set about implementing the law. His “team at the EPA [Environmental Protection Agency] was sour on the ethanol mandate.” *

So You actually had NO reason to respond to this thread , correct ? Really thanks for all the assistance , that was all a big help ! Did you read the last sentence in my original post ? "Thanks to all who can help." WOW and look I thanked you anyway !

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry I upset you ..... I've never heard anyone refer to this crappy fuel we get as "Bush Fuel" ! Do you know why ? He G.W. may have enacted the mandate , However Obama set into action the implementation of the mandate even against the opinion of the E.P.A. ! Thus the wording (slang) "Obama Fuel"

*****Washington has long encouraged the production of ethanol as a “green” alternative to fossil fuels, but the policy got a big boost in 2007 when Congress passed and President George W. Bush signed a law mandating the blending of ethanol into gasoline. The law was supported wholeheartedly by then-Sen. Barack Obama.
Once in the White House, Obama set about implementing the law. His “team at the EPA [Environmental Protection Agency] was sour on the ethanol mandate.” *

So You actually had NO reason to respond to this thread , correct ? Really thanks for all the assistance , that was all a big help ! Did you read the last sentence in my original post ? "Thanks to all who can help." WOW and look I thanked you anyway !
Don't know what you're on, mate, but StraDuc came across as about 0% upset - he was just, as mentioned above, calmly making a clarification, as well as providing some information about a drain plug on his bike.

To use your style, you actually had NO reason to mention Obama in your question about a drain hole in a fuel tank. Then you get pissed when somebody posts some facts?

Good luck with getting help with that attitude. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Back on track.
I have a carby in the shop[ and measured it as a 8 x 1.25. You could run a dry break to drain it but I am not sure there is much need normally.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I know I should have let it go but I love the fact that THIS is one place I can come and get great information from extremely generous and knowledgeable individuals like Eric- who had your answer- share in the ups and downs and loves and hates of maintaining a vintage bike with other passionate riders and know I will not have to deal with putting up with political commentary. As pointed out by Forsythem there was absolutely no need to insert your inaccurate politically motivated epithet about ethanol fuel. Google search your term "Obama fuel". It doesn't come up with even one hit. I'm pretty sure just about everyone on this forum (well maybe not the corn farmers) would much prefer to have a non-ethanol fuel option available to use and to never have to worry about the ill effects of the (correctly stated...) crappy fuel that has been mandated by our government. Leave you politics at the door when you come in here please.

And I am done here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back on track.
I have a carby in the shop[ and measured it as a 8 x 1.25. You could run a dry break to drain it but I am not sure there is much need normally.
Thank Yuo very much , its greatly appreciated ! Exactly what I needed to know !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts