Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2 perfectly sweet rockets already, (GSXR 600 K5 and MV Brutale 750 S) and I'm looking to get a 3rd bike. Originally I was looking for a sport tourer for those longer trips. (ST3 comes to mind). However, when looking around at Duc's in my area, I stumbled upon an '04 749 Dark that I can't keep my eyes off. I'm not trying to buy into rediculous maintenance costs, and I want something I can put some miles on, but as impractical as it may be, it's really tempting. It's got 3k miles and looks pretty clean. Corvalis, Oregon 97331 on Cycletrader if you want to take a look. Guy's only asking $6700 which IMO is pretty low. I'm wondering if there's some catch. Anything I should know about the 749's before getting too serious? Been listed for nearly a year if I remember right. Talked myself out of it when I first saw it, now I'm wondering if it's waiting for me, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I want to say there was something about that bike recently that was not right. I think someone posted about it with pictures. I could be wrong. Someone will chime in if I am right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well I am unsure if there is an issue about that particular bike. But, if you look at recent prices for the 999's a stock 749Dark at that price isn't to bad.
I know that everyone on here will flip, but I got rid of my 1098S and got my 749S and am happy as can be. Great bike to ride in all conditions. Go take a look at it if you can. I keen eye is always the easiest way to find out whether its a great deal, or just someone trying to dump a lemon. Good luck

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
If you want a 749, hold off and find a nice S model. I had a Biposto, and although it was a fine bike, I started feeling the limitations of the chassis components and realized I should have got the S or R as a foundation to build upon. Otherwise, great bikes!

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
An inexpensive dark might well be a good enough bike on the road, but if your an active rider and weigh more then 160lbs, your gonna need to start your ownership by getting the suspension done..

The DARK models are the absolute base Ducati and the do lack some of the stuff that makes us Duactisti absolutly adore our bikes. Sad to say it, but its my honest opinion only (Im gonna hang for this, I´m sure of it!).

A buddy of mine owned a Sport 900 (Sort of the DARK of the older SS series) and he got carpal tunnel AND problems with his back after 3 months.. Got an Multistrada instead and loved it..

A Ladyfriend of mine got a 748E (The DARK model of the older 916 series), had it for one year, needed better suspension stuff and got an SPS instead..

Long story short.. It´s a starter superbike..

//amullo

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought an 05 749 Dark about a month and a half ago and I love it...my other bike is a 60hp Monster 620 Dark so this one is a whole new world. Keep in mind that the dark model doesn't come with a steering damper and you can't mount a stock unit because there is no mounting point coming off the frame like on the 749/s/r. The only other difference from the regular model is progressive linkage for the rear mono shock (not really sure what that means). All in all the dark is in my mind one of the best looking bikes on the road, and it rides great!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The only other difference from the regular model is progressive linkage for the rear mono shock (not really sure what that means). All in all the dark is in my mind one of the best looking bikes on the road, and it rides great!
Um...there's quite a few other differences...brakes & suspension come to mind first...

The dark truly is an entry level Duc.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Cons:
Adjustable steering head
Progressive linkage
overall suspension build (internals)
no instant steering damper mount (you can buy an adaptor to mount a factory steering damper)
Motor (heads most notably)

Pros:
Unique paint
Still a duc :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Um...there's quite a few other differences...brakes & suspension come to mind first...

The dark truly is an entry level Duc.

I'm confused...are the brakes and suspension different on the regular 749 compared to the Dark model?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that's all good to know. I wasn't sure how different the dark was from the S model. Too bad, cause I love the paint. If it is truly an entry level Duc, then you're right, I'm not interested. Had an S2R 800 for a year, suspension was SAD, brakes were so-so, and I hated that slipper clutch. Guess I'll just keep looking guys, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Brakes are the same; engine the same as Biposto. The worst part of the Dark is the suspension and non-adjustable headstock; really the achilles heel of the package - as with the Biposto to a somewhat lesser degree. The engine is decent, really nice for the street but runs out of breath pretty quick on the track.

Most of these shortcomings can be remedied, of course, with enough money. But, for a few dollars more, you can find a nicely modded 749s or 999 which represents a much better value for your $$.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I love my dark, I ride the shit out of it in A group... Overall its a good deal, just get the suspension set up and your good to go.

·
Registered
797 Posts
With your existing stable I think a 749 Dark may be redunant. Your GSXR with out handle it, and out perform it in a straight line, but of course it is not a Duc.

IF your were looking for a sport-touring machine, keep looking! A late model ST4S or a Multistrada S, both can be found in that same price range. With low miles......

My choice with my garage full of sport bikes & dual-sports would be a ST4S for blasting the super-slabs.

Cheers,
M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts