Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my clutch is starting to rattle bad for a Ducati.........

I had a quick look with a torch and I have a fair amount of tang wear.

I have the Desmotimes book, A service manual now and the Haynes Guide.

There is some contradictions, I hope you guys could clear up.

The service manual at first read doesn't say if its good or bad to pull out the push rod from the slave to the pressure plate, as i understand the desmotimes one its recommended to avoid total removal. an the haynes also seams vague.

How hard is it really to do, a plate swap? and if needed a basket swap?

Also how easy should it be to remove the rod from the pressure plate bearing?

ta...

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have done a plate swap and it is pretty easy to do. I have a haynes manual and it is pretty straight forward. The clutch rod came out with the pressure plate. I just left it in the plate and did the swap. Then just inspect the o-rings re insert it slow and then put it back together. I have not done a basket swap but I am pretty sure you would need a clutch holding tool to remove nut from the basket. I'm sure someone who knows for sure will chime in. Oh do not over tighten the clutch springs. Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
A super said it is pretty easy. Best thing to remember is when you take the plates out you are replacing lay them down in the order you take them out. That way when you install the new ones you can follow that order to be exact.

To change the basket you will need a special tool or you can make one from the old clutch plates. A search on the site should show a post on how to do that.

The rod can come out of the pressure plate with a tap from a hammer and drive. Or you can leave it in like super advised. I have done it both ways. No issues.

I like pulling the clutch rod out completely from the slave cylinder as I always bleed my clutch when I do plate swaps. Plus it's good to check the o-rings on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ta guys, I guess its time I proved I can turn a wrench

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay started parts hunting now, but local uk based ebay has a group that sell barnett stuff, reading in here an at desmotimes they seam good, but confused they are listing alot of dry clutch kits at different prices, I thought the ducati dry clutch was pretty consistent across the board?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts