Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Some answers before deciding for MTS1200T

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Borracho 
#1 ·
Good day to everyone, I am asking this question pertinent to MTS1200 owners.

Its almost that time of the year when it is time for a renewal of insurance, which, suffice to say (with regards to myself); I am looking for a new bike.

Granted I do love the streetfighter which I own; I am looking to start travelling to faraway places, hopefully 2-up with tons of luggage but there are some questions which I hope gets answered to aid my decision making. If this doesn't go thru, I will keep the lovely SF with me till the next renewal.

1) The MTS1200 is undoubtedly a great bike, but how good is it for the extra long haul? I'm looking at close to 10k km within a month and some of these places which I would like to visit has no little to no support for big bikes, let alone a ducati. How reliable is it and are there any horror stories?

2) How hard is it maintain a showroom condition inbetween the hoses behind the trellis, after enduro riding. While I do notice that the MTS may look clean on the outside, most of them still have dirt inbetween the hoses and next to the throttle bodies.

3) Can the radial brembos up front be upgraded with the brembo monoblocs? Will it affect the operation of the ABS? (I doubt so but might as well just put it out there)

4) Is the issue of the shift drum whereby the gears drop into neutral from 2nd on hard deceleration solved?

5) last but not least, is it acceptabe for a 24y.o. like myself to be riding a MTS which in my country, seems to point to the fact that one might be struggling with a mid-life crisis?

A big thanks in advance to all who bother to reply.
Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
My opinion:

1. Incredible for all day street riding. If your trips are more than 10% dirt, consider a GS.

2. I guess this depends on how much you like detailing. It shouldn't be any harder than maintaining a showroom condition on your sf after enduro riding :)

3. Someone on the forum has done this. Search should find it. There was some opinion that the monoblocs are too much brake for the tall suspension. I feel the standard brakes are all I need.

4. Never had this issue on my 2012.

5. Depends, are you fitting a top case?

Cheers

#3 ·
thanks! its good to hear from you. Have you ever questioned if the stock ohlins are not enough? Pardon my ignorance because it seems like ducati has given owners a set of parameters to work within.

if less dirt, should one consider changing to a sporty road tire like the rosso corsa instead? or just leave the scorpions on?

#4 ·
1. In my experience so far….(2 years with her). No mechanical failures. My opinion; it is a fairly reliable bike. That said, if it breaks (especially electronically your well screwed without a Ducati dealer.) But if an ECU craps out on a Honda your still screwed on the side of the road! I opted out of the electronic suspension, because of my worry about longevity, I still prefer simplicity and non-electronic. I say buy what you enjoy and ride the hell out of it, anything can and will break. If a Ducati “speaks” to you, you’ll learn to live with it’s quirks. If you’re that worried about breaking down , get a Ural, it’s guaranteed to break down, but you can fix it with a rock!:D

2. t’s 5 pounds of shit in a 3 pound can! After I deleted the airbox resonator and rerouted some of the hoses and wiring, I can reach right between the V and keep it pretty clean…Honestly the damn front wheel is the hardest part to clean. (Who can fit their freakin hand between the rotor and wheel anyway)?
3. Yes, several on the site have fitted Monoblocks, “Borracho” is one of them…Gorgeous bike, search for it and check it out.
4. Never had the problem.
5. Since nobody knows what country you’re from, kind of hard to answer….But I say who cares what anyone thinks, I ride what I enjoy. Life is too short to worry about what somebody you passed thinks of your bike choice.

#5 ·
Thanks, I just saw his bike, but I'm not sure I would take those BSTs out trail biking ;)

Not too worried about longevity, just more concerned if it can last 10k to and fro thats all. I'm from Singapore and I plan to ride up to china some time within next year. The strada is slowly speaking to me....

Must..... resist.

#6 ·
The tires can't handle deep sand or goose sh!t slippery clay when rained on , dirt gravel mud puddles just fine.
Give us a clue where you plan to go.
An adventure is not an adventure with out some surprises and the UNKNOWN.

#10 ·
You will love the multistrada for your purposes. Just make sure u have the $ to support the $60,000 toy.

Reliability is hit or miss. I would get a base model if I were you just because the electronic suspension would be difficult to service if something were to happen on a trip like that.

#12 ·
Reliability is hit or miss. I would get a base model if I were you just because the electronic suspension would be difficult to service if something were to happen on a trip like that.
+1, I just got hit with the DES error as I was riding a few days ago. I made a quick stop and when I started the bike again, the error must have cleared. Dealer is looking into it.

As for the other things, it really is a great bike to travel with. Before her mods, I took her on 2 camping trips to Carrizo Plain & Death Valley with some of my old GS buddies. While I didn't have cases mounted (tailbag, big backpack & a buddy carrying some stuff), I could definitely see using some Caribou or Touratech panniers as a big asset. It handled the dirt really well and the traction control was amazing. It could've done a lot better with trail/dirt specific tires. I loved the TKC's I had on my GS.

I have a detail kit for my truck, has a lot of little brushes & stuff. Q-tips also help with the cleanup of those tight area. Just don't use a garden hose on full blast. Makes me cringe.....

This bike does not need monoblocs. The modifications needed to make them work aren't worth it.

I never had an issue with shifting. Still miss between 4-5 sometimes, but never on decel.

Dood, I'm almost 40. Got my first Ducati when I was 36, you're killing me......stop it. :D

Overall, I love this bike. I'm too old for the long rides into MX and the like so I modded her to be a street only ride. If I was younger? Full set of pans & I would ride the crap out of her. It really is a great all around bike.

Good luck!

Chris

#11 ·
Anything can break...

A very close friend of mine did the rear drive on his GSA the other day at 11,000kms! This is his second GSA, the first had ECU problems and electrical problems till the day he traded it in. Any bike can have troubles.

Personally I love the Multistrada after owning close to 50 bikes, and also over the years working on and off in the motorcycle trade, it is a remarkable machine. The only issue I have had is the not so good rear brake (to be fixed next week) and the front forks (electric) needed shimming - problem from Ohlins not Ducati.

I have ridden it on dirt, on a track, commuting and lots of sport riding and corners. It is no major off road machine, but a fantastic all rounder!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.