Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I mentioned in the classified forum, I've got one of the throttle body to air box rubbers that's a little too distorted (previous owner mis-installed it) to re use.
I have tried to buy one, but my preference would be to replace the whole box/hose set up.

I'm not as familiar with Ducati as I would like to be so I'm not quite sure if such a thing exists. I did run across a couple of things at the dealer that could be "fitted" if need be, but I'd prefer something that's specifically for Ducati.

Any suggestions from those that know of a sollution would be greatly appreciated.

Jimbo

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Hey Jimbo,

Sorry to hear about that distorted rubber. Sounds kinda kinky!

Most people just "de-lid" their airboxes and go w/ a K&N.

I chose to remove the rear-most surface of my lid, and tried a K&N. My personal "K&N test" revealed that (for me) it's not the smartest item to be running 100% of the time.

So I run a normal paper element, and save the K&N for the really spirited rides.

My "test" showed that the K&N allows fine grit to pass thru the element. Some of this grit (like fine sand) ended up sticking to the K&N oil that I sprayed on the "clean" side of the airbox. Paper seems to keep the same area of the air box clean.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Stick
Thanks for the suggestion at "scalping" the airbox. I already have the K&N filter and was contemplating cutting out a piece of the lid and adding some sort of screen before I discovered the bad hose. The reason I asked the collective about a replacement was because of the cost of replacing the hose with a new one.

I was at the dealer last week to buy a replacement hose and the thing is actually more expensive than a couple of universal fit K&N kits. But being a newbe to Ducatis, I wanted to tap the knowledge base before I buy aftermarket just in case there's something I should know.

I'll be doing some measuring and shopping in the next week or so. I'll let you know what I came up with.

Jimbo

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
More on the lid: I started messing w/ mine by yanking the intake snorkels, because they're easy to replace. I like the added intake note, and I decided to do the lid. But after a buddy of mine, who had an ST2 for a couple of years...he claimed that heavy rains would make his bike bog until he could dry out the K&N. So I opted to remove just the rear part of my lid, and have never noticed any water problems.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Stick.

I won't dare cut out the "snorkels". But I will cut out the rear section as you mentioned if I keep the PITA to install airbox.

Being in the AC/climate control business for the past 25+ years has had me riding on days that the weather has been unfavorable for work (when it's raining). So much so that I've actually started to enjoy riding in the wet stuff;-).

All my bike mods in the past have been done with wet riding considered. On my previous ride (HD FLHT) I rigged a cut up mist filter. An aluminum mesh filter from an A/C intake that stops fog and mist from entering the fresh air intake to stop water from entering the carb. Worked wonders!

If I do find some kind of universal fit K&N or other filter kit to put on the carbs, I intend on wrapping them in this mesh to keep the water out.

I might even fab a sheet metal deflector to fit on the front end of the filters to keep the nasties out.

Thanks for your input
Jimbo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts