Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Where are you located? I am in Gainesville. More than welcome to come take her for a rip and I'll hop on the Multi. Granted, my bike is about 50lbs less than OEM 1100evo sp, the characteristics are the same... Just more wheelies.
West Palm Beach.

Perhaps when all of this garbage is over I'll come on up if the offer is still on the table! Unless I end up with a 950 prior to that. The 950 is calling to me lol!

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Mistake. Did you talk with the guy I sent? I also am thinking about selling my completely stock Hyper with 6300 miles. Health issues may take me off bikes for awhile. I had an opportunity to buy a new Hyper when I sold my V4 Tuono. I looked, test rode, read reviews and still found no reason to spend the extra money on a new one when the original is still the best. (IMO) The new Hypers are great, look fab and do EXACTLY the same as my '08. Might do them better by a negligible difference, still aint worth the extra dough on the bike or on the insurance. Again IMO.
Anyroads, best wishes to you. Take that cat up on a test ride of his Hyper. You'll see.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ll chime in with my .02¢

My ‘09 1100 S is THE MOST VISCERAL experience I’ve ever had on four, two or one wheel ?. I’ve never owned a bike as long as I have the Hyper 1100 s; over 5 years and about to tick the 48,000 mile mark.

Had the recent pandemic not occurred, I’d probably have hit the 50k mark easily but my work and moral compass have kept her on stands in the garage. (I do sneak out for quick jaunts but usually under 30 miles)

I came off of a gen ii Tuono RR and it very much reminded me of the Superduke 1290 R - just a beast to ride and it made me work in the corners.

Upright and refined, yet quite unadulterated at the same time.

The hypermotard, OTOH, is a punch-you-in-your-mfing mouth, unapologetic, wraith of a bike that looks back at you and asks, “Is that ALL you’ve got?!?!”

She is my daily rider/commuter/quasi-adventure/knee-draggin/hoontown bike.

I find her very comfortable and the stock seat is forgiving and shaped much to my liking in where I am able to shift my weight forward and aft, mid-turn, at my will.

Bear in mind I live in the middle of some epic twisties and this is hypermotard Mecca at it’s finest.

Purchased from the original owner; it was well-loved and cared for with tasteful mods: race ecu; decat and Leo Vinci exhaust at under 16k miles. I modded a givi top case for my duty gear which fits my needs to a T.

Its been stated several times in our lovely forum: the original hyper is the one to have.

The factory continues to attempt to replicate/emulate the original version for a reason. They’ve tried to incorporate rider aids and refine power but have fallen short of, IMHO, what the OG delivered.

Technology has changed and engines have changed from the original - obviously. But I don’t think there’ll ever be a bike like the first gen.

My only gripe - fuel range. It can be “fixed” with a CCW 6.4 gallon tank but I honestly never felt compelled to install one. After an hour/100 miles of romping around, one needs to take a break anyway.

If you already own the SDR, I think you’d be well served with the 1100 as the newer WC 950 may share enough similarities that you won’t appreciate either enough to keep both. Conversely, the original 1100’s are raw enough that the differences will dictate which tool you’ll choose for the ride.

TL;DR - pick the 1100 S or SP and wear your mouth guard!

Have fun dealing with our first-world problems ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Looks like we are finally coming to the end!

My dealer found me a leftover 2019. The modern styling appealed to me more than the retro looks of the 1100. A large part of motorcycling to me is that I find it to be functional art. I very much like modern, aggressive lines that are a direct result of refined production capabilities.

The riding is obviously important but the 950 definitely stirred my soul enough for me to want it.

Short of the world ending or my dealer renegging on their ability to get that bike for me I should have it within two weeks.

Thanks for everyones contributions here. Your posts were FANTASTIC and a pleasure to read.

·
Registered
08Hyper1100s
3 Posts
I totally second what Blucati stated. The OG Hype is the bees knees. The s model has been my #1 favorite bike hands down over countless others. Now I'm not a professional racer but I'm no scrub either and the Hype demands all of my attention at all times when riding any kind of aggressive. Also, I've ridden a 950sp many times and I would take the 1100s 9 times if you ask me 10. Go for the OG!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Not mine: $4,999 is pretty good

t_bare

·
Registered
12 Posts
Saw this thread a little bit late. I owned an 1100 with single termi for 13 years. I switched it last year for a 950sp with single termi.
I did it because of the looks and new technologies.

Both are great bikes to ride. I did not regret my switch

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm going against the grain here. Owned an 1100 EVO SP for years and sold it for a 950SP. I ride mostly tight back roads. The power is effectively the same, the 1100 a bit more visceral at lower RPM but falls off sooner.

I think the chassis of the 950 is more stable. But most important for me, on tight, bumpy roads with elevation changes the modern electronics of the 950 really shine. You can open the throttle faster, harder with less risk. And the quickshifter is a transformative: I can bang down 2 or 3 perfect rev-matched downshifts while braking late and hard into an unfamiliar downwhill hairpin with absolute stability. That was hairball on the 1100.

Whatever the 950 has lost in raw edginess, it's gained in competence that translates to pure joy. The most fun motorcycle I've ever owned (among >20).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can only speak to the 950SP as an owner. Based on you being a novice rider, price not a factor and living in FL where it rains every afternoon, you may want the 950 and all it's electronics. There are quite a few rider modes and adjustments including rain mode. You'd be less likely to fear or wreck the 950 IMO. It's liquid cooled as well which also helps in warmer climates. I'm an experienced rider and the 950 is my first with electronics. The bike is simply a beast and I do like, notice and appreciate the electronics. It took out some of my apprehension when getting used to the bike because it's so bloody tall/powerful and I do find myself switching rider modes often which is nice. You can probably find a left over 19' for a good deal too. I test rode both base model and SP, SP all the way. To me the 950 is several bikes in one.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
I had 1100S. Holligans bike. Zero complaints about motor. Nit pick about anything you want. It was a the best motor for sound, easy simple. They had rocks issue where the battery that may have caused fuel leaks! A few pieces of foam fixed that. Better have all your wits about you because the lack of safety pack...The Safety pack may kick in and save your butt and you maynot even realize that it is doing its job. New ones should be more forgiving and may inspire more confidence, Which may lead to risky hooligan actions.
Buyer beware...
Gomer Pyle USMC would take three fingers and assign a bike to each one and then slap a table top, whatever finger would hurt worse that would be his choice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was in the same boat a few months ago. I rented both a 950SP and an 1100S. The 1100 was so much fun at typical street speeds, felt like two 450 dirt bikes put together, but also felt very unrefined and unwilling to turn (although this particular bike had a blown shock and no damping whatsoever). The 950 felt like a "real" motorcycle (composed, planted) and therefore underpowered/overweight. I also didn't care for the short-stroke power characteristics (this is a problem with ALL new Ducatis) and exhaust note. So, I met in the middle and bought an 1100 evo sp.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No personal affiliation to seller or bike, even though I just bought mine I still like to search around. Seems like an awesome deal...

Craigs List Ad

2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S in black. $5850

Factory Ohlins, carbon fiber accents, monobloc Brembo’s...

I am a big fan of this Hyper but need a commuter oriented moto (see below for bikes I’m looking for in trade).

WA title, low 11,xxx miles.
Not a garage queen but very well cared for and turn key Ducati.

Lots of money in it: Arrow exhaust, ECU flashed, charcoal canister delete, Ca Cycleworks 6.4 gallon gas tank (@45-50mpg), gold Marchesini wheels, Brembo RCS19 brake master cylinder for immense power and feel, Yamaha r6 throttle tube, Progrip grips, Cycra strong handguards, Bikemaster mirrors, Rizoma footpegs, Motoelectric battery and starter cable upgrade, Flo Racing machined reusable oil filter also provides additional cooling, trickle charger pigtail, Iridium spark plugs, Rotella t5 oil, timing belts 3000 miles ago, valve adjustment 400 miles ago, axle and frame sliders all around. Runs really well and needs nothing.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts