Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I posted that my bike would not start. Dead when I hit the starter. Nothing. But then, miraculously, it started.

A few (smart)folks mentioned that it most likely is the solenoid when this happens.

So last night was Bike Night at Hooters. I rolled the 900 out in the driveway. Hit the starter. Nothing! I checked the wiring from the starter and everything looked OK.

Then I remembered the advice about the solenoid.

I then took my 24 inch CraftsMAN socket extension, held it like a pool cue, and smacked the tip into the exposed side of the solenoid.

Bike now starts better than ever.

Coincidence? Or do solenoids sometimes get stuck?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The stock solenoids can stick open or closed. The connections can also be a problem. The two pin connector on the back can vibrate loose.

My solenoid on my ST4 stuck closed when trying to start the bike many years ago. The bike turned over and over without starting and the battery finally went dead. When this happens you cannot shut it off since the solenoid connects directly from the battery to the starter.

I installed an automotive relay (for a Ford pickup). Much more robust. All connections are hard wired, no connectors. Zero problems in many years.

Mike

·
Registered
395 Posts
^^
yep, i've been talking up the old ford remote solenoids ever since i had this same problem on my ST4s years ago. they're better than OEM Ducati, cheap and easy to get anywhere.

CCM, I wouldn't feel too confident that you've actually fixed the problem. You may have just jiggled the small wire connections. If you haven't already, secure the plug by wrapping a wire tie all the way around the solenoid/plug. It's cheap insurance against getting stranded.
Might want to clean up all the starting wire connectors, too, and remove or pull back that water catching rubber cover at the starter connection.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Mike and Mike!

I am sure I can source the Ford solenoid from my local NAPA store.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any chance you guys remember which Ford solenoid you used? I've not had much luck with the shop down the street...

·
Registered
164 Posts
It doesn't really have to be ford solenoid. I used

What's nice about it is that it has a pigtail coming off of it, so you can route a connector to it a lot easier than the stock solenoid that has the female connection as part of the solenoid. Once that stock plug breaks, it's nearly impossible to re-insert. Ask me how I know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts