Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the perfect chance to own a very limited production (1 of 300 US allocations) piece of Ducati’s racing history in perfect condition. This 999R has been in a private collection for over a decade sitting inside a climate-controlled showroom alongside other amazing pieces of racing heritage. No expense has been spared, and this 999R just had a full service in July so it’s ready for a new owner.

The Ducati 999, designed by Pierre Terblanche, was built between 2003 and 2006 is a direct representation of Ducati’s racing prestige – having been raced in WSBK with Championships wins in 2003, 2004, and 2006. To comply with AMA homologation rules, the States got 300 examples of the 999R, the most powerful production V-Twin ever built (at the time, of course).

The MSRP hovered around $30,000 and for that money (a $7,000 increase over the 999S) riders got 26 extra horsepower thanks to titanium valves and a revised head design that increased compression. If that wasn’t special enough, Ducati made a few examples of the 999R in the Xerox livery used in SBK by James Toseland and Regis Laconi – here’s #246.

Aluminum valve covers were replaced with magnesium units and the plastic belt covers were replaced with real carbon fiber. Gear ratios were the same but Öhlins components replaced the Showa forks and monoshock. Radially mounted Brembo monoblock brakes are shared, but the wheels are forged instead of cast. The seat/tank console is adjustable, as are the bars and rearsets. The weight dropped down to 399 pounds, helping the 999R become the ultimate track weapon to buy at the time – and it was definitely the best version of the last year of the model.

This example (VIN: ZDM1UB5W56B017492) is extra special since it’s the last year the handmade machines were ever built, and this particular bike has less than 1800 original miles.

Included in the sale are the original owner’s manual, factory keys, Ducati Superbike commemoration, and the original cover. The bike is located just north of Atlanta, Georgia. 678-2SEVENSIX-66SIX1

Price: $18,200USD

I can assist with shipping but ask that the buyer make any shipping arrangements.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
That's a nice bike but you might want to correct your ad for accuracy.

First of all, if your bike has #246 on the dash plaque, it's #246 out of 319 Xerox edition 999R's. It's definitely not #246 out of the US allocation. Not all years and version of the 999R have dash plaques and, interestingly, in some countries, even the Xerox didn't get dash plaques.

Additionally, of all of the years the 999R was produced, many more than 300 were made and more than 300 made it to the US. Now, if you want to say that there were 300 of the 2005/2006 999R version sold in the US, that's a different story.

Furthermore, AMA homologation rules are by a per year basis so if you have to sell 300 999R's, it's 300 per year for eligibility that year.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"First of all, if your bike has #246 on the dash plaque, it's #246 out of 319 Xerox edition 999R's. It's definitely not #246 out of the US allocation. Not all years and version of the 999R have dash plaques and, interestingly, in some countries, even the Xerox didn't get dash plaques."

I'm going off the details I have in the documentation, and the plaque I have from the factory. I don't have a clue what did or didn't receive a plaque in some countries.

"Additionally, of all of the years the 999R was produced, many more than 300 were made and more than 300 made it to the US. Now, if you want to say that there were 300 of the 2005/2006 999R version sold in the US, that's a different story."

How are we not saying the same thing here? I'm not saying global production numbers were limited to 300, and I'm not saying how many are in the states today...only that there was a limited allocation for the states, and that this is one of those.

"Furthermore, AMA homologation rules are by a per year basis so if you have to sell 300 999R's, it's 300 per year for eligibility that year."

Correct. This is an ad, and not intended to reflect section 2.16 of the MotoAmerica/AMA rulebook. :)

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
"First of all, if your bike has #246 on the dash plaque, it's #246 out of 319 Xerox edition 999R's. It's definitely not #246 out of the US allocation. Not all years and version of the 999R have dash plaques and, interestingly, in some countries, even the Xerox didn't get dash plaques."

I'm going off the details I have in the documentation, and the plaque I have from the factory. I don't have a clue what did or didn't receive a plaque in some countries.

"Additionally, of all of the years the 999R was produced, many more than 300 were made and more than 300 made it to the US. Now, if you want to say that there were 300 of the 2005/2006 999R version sold in the US, that's a different story."

How are we not saying the same thing here? I'm not saying global production numbers were limited to 300, and I'm not saying how many are in the states today...only that there was a limited allocation for the states, and that this is one of those.

"Furthermore, AMA homologation rules are by a per year basis so if you have to sell 300 999R's, it's 300 per year for eligibility that year."

Correct. This is an ad, and not intended to reflect section 2.16 of the MotoAmerica/AMA rulebook. :)
Well you headlined the ad saying you have #246 out of 300 bikes, and then said there are 300 bikes in all allocated to the US and this is #246 of those. All of that is incorrect. I was simply pointing you that if you might want to correct that and figured that maybe you needed the help in determining what might make it accurate.

Maybe I am off base here but if I joined a forum for the first time and before ever getting to know the forum or contribute to it, I immediately put an ad on there to sell a motorcycle (one that reads like one a used car salesman would right), being that no one would know who I was and would rightly look upon my ad and intentions with skepticism, I would work a little extra hard to be accurate. But that's just me.

GLWS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you headlined the ad saying you have #246 out of 300 bikes, and then said there are 300 bikes in all allocated to the US and this is #246 of those. All of that is incorrect. I was simply pointing you that if you might want to correct that and figured that maybe you needed the help in determining what might make it accurate.

Maybe I am off base here but if I joined a forum for the first time and before ever getting to know the forum or contribute to it, I immediately put an ad on there to sell a motorcycle (one that reads like one a used car salesman would right), being that no one would know who I was and would rightly look upon my ad and intentions with skepticism, I would work a little extra hard to be accurate. But that's just me.

GLWS.
Thanks for reminding me why I've stayed away from posting in forums. There's always that guy who loves to publicly flex on anyone new with some "knowledge" to show what a superior member and motorcycle enthusiast they are. Thanks for identifying yourself so quickly.

Yes, I'm new, and I posted a for sale ad. I did so after reading the rules and not seeing a minimum post count rule listings. I guess despite lurking for years, my newb status opened the doors for you pick apart and insult an ad in a public forum based on nothing more than what you assumed, and inferred I was saying.

My "used car salesman" ad triggered you so much, and you took such offense with the data I posted that it apparently warranted a paragraph of public rebuttal.

Why would you do that?

I clearly am new here, and mentioned so in my recent intro post.
I also mentioned I'm trying to sell this bike for a friend, and that it's not my motorcycle.

As a Premium member with such knowledge, why not send me a PM offering up some suggestions?
Why take the path of publicly railroading a listing with a bunch of non-helpful, irrelevant info?
As someone who clearly has better salesmanship, why not simply point out that the data in the listing is based on just 2006 production?
Why not just let the listing run for a pretty cool, rare bike and let a buyer ask for clarifying questions of the seller?

I should probably point out that these are all rhetorical questions, that don't require you to answer... we all already know the reasons why.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
There's no insult here. Plain and simple, I value accuracy. I thought I was doing you a favor by simply pointing out where the ad could be more accurate. I didn't insult you personally or your motorcycle. In fact, I even complimented it.

I am protective of this place. I like it. It's a great place where I have learned a lot from very knowledgable people and it's an endless source of new learnings. There are jillions of people here who know much more than I do and are far superior motorcycle enthusiasts. What you don't realize is that we have seen our fair amount of new members drop in, post ads (sometimes inaccurate), and dip right after. There have also been a rise in scams as of late (a search will show you what I mean).

I didn't think that your ad was a scam but I do think that it could benefit from an uptick in accuracy. Generally, if someone is an enthusiast, they appreciate things like this and if I were buying another Xerox bike, as a buyer I would also appreciate that. I'm not much of a seller but as a buyer, I always think that more accuracy translates to better credibility. And I try not to buy from sellers who I don't think are credible.

Again, I did not pick apart your bike or insult you personally. I wouldn't do that, especially to a new member who has what appears to be a nice motorbike for sale. The reality is that if you choose to post inaccurate information to sell your bike, the ad should be corrected. It only detracts from what is most likely a nice bike. And if you don't know any better, there's no shame in that. That's what the collective experience of a forum is for.

I'm sorry that you took this as a "public flex" and an "insult." I actually tried pm'ing at first but the pm function wouldn't work, possibly because you're new and have not been here for some requisite amount of time.

I know that you think this is nitpicky but the reality is that you're selling a special bike. I would think that because it's a special bike, you would like to convey the proper degree of how special by accurately and correctly stating what makes it special. Even if you don't value the ad's being right, the bike deserves that that.

Again, good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Awesome bike. #235 says hi!
The best of luck selling her.

·
Administrator
12,471 Posts
Thanks for reminding me why I've stayed away from posting in forums. There's always that guy who loves to publicly flex on anyone new with some "knowledge" to show what a superior member and motorcycle enthusiast they are.
It amuses me that you stay away from posting in forums. Well that is until it is useful for you to sell something... So the thought process is never contribute and be helpful for folks that may need it, just show up to help yourself. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all... BIKE IS SOLD!

It amuses me that you stay away from posting in forums. Well that is until it is useful for you to sell something... So the thought process is never contribute and be helpful for folks that may need it, just show up to help yourself. (y)
Glad I could be some amusement. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.