Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 03 ST4s for sale on the New Hampshire Craigslist for the last month. It seems to the best deal on CL so I believe it's priced right but I have not received any inquires. We know it's a great bike but is it a white elephant to the general motorcycling community?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Seems like a great deal for buyers. I too feel your pain.

I'm assuming it's the frequent, very expensive maintenance holding the values down.. For a bike meant to be ridden long distances, it a disqualified for many.

Desmo's reputation for complexity doesn't help. My shop charges 6.5 hours for valves. Other than they its just another well equipped motorcycle.

I agree it's an amazing motorcycle.

Bob

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I agree it's an amazing motorcycle.

Bob
Unless one has one, it isn't well know. Those considering a Sport Touring bike are well aware of the maintenance issues and compared to a Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki the added cost doesn't make sense. I'm only into one b/o having owned a SuperSport and loved it. Don't know if I'd own one w/o prior Duc experience. S

·
Registered
837 Posts
To the inexperienced that might seem like an old mans bike because of the bags. Take them off I bet it sells faster haha. When i bought mine they weren't on it, i just loved the gorgeous lines of the bike.

·
Saddle Sore
806 Posts
Those who know, know and will buy. those who don't won't.

I can't see a non-Ducatisti looking to buy an ST as a smart touring rig (cuz it's not).

There's a bunch in NH between 6000-7000 which is a reasonable price.

Here in Quebec they go for 4000CDN (ST2) to 9000CDN (ST4S 2nd gen).

That being said, my dealer offered $4500CDN to trade my 2005 mint ST4S (16000miles).
"They're not easy to sell." he said, except they rarely last a few weeks on autotrader.ca.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Those who know, know and will buy. those who don't won't.

Maybe so maybe no. I didn't know a darn thing about Ducs when i found mine, i just know that i wanted one. I think maybe that's how it goes for a lot of folks out there, they shop with their heart. I do think if it would have had the panniers on it i wouldn't have given it a second thought. Of course opinions are like belly buttons and YMMV. Hagd.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I have my 03 ST4s for sale on the New Hampshire Craigslist for the last month. It seems to the best deal on CL so I believe it's priced right but I have not received any inquires. We know it's a great bike but is it a white elephant to the general motorcycling community?
Forget craigslist for a Ducati. I'd list here or Cycletrader.

Don't forget lots of picture of details as well as a very complete description.

bob

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You're probably suffering from the same problem that Ducati had with selling them new -- most people think of Ducati as a maker of fussy exotic sportbikes; people who want a touring bike aren't looking at Ducatis. It's a great machine, but the people who should be riding them don't know about them. You may just have to be patient, and wait for the right person to see it.

PhilB

Reactions: mbevans

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
FEI (For Everyone's Information): The OP will have to boost his post count to 25 (real) posts before he can list his bike in the Ducati.MS classifieds.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

This may not be a popular opinion, but if I did not know that the top box was removable I may not give the bike a second look.
I think the excessively high mounted box looks terrible for "sports" touring (i.e. handling).
Although I admit it is very practical for touring.

JMHO....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Agree with Bob list it on Cycletrader that's where I bought mine, because I wanted a Comfortable Ducati for two up riding. Be patience bike looks great the right buyer will come along.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think the whole market is saturated with used bikes. Its a buyers market.
Other peoples posts I also agree with. I've seen plenty of good deals just sit on craigs week after week after...

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have it on Cycle trader, but I will add photos of it without the bags. To me the bike looks strange naked but it is a good point. I'll list it here when I reach my minimum number of post, it may take a while!
Thanks
Ron

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Thing is about photos with the bags off, IMHO you also need to remove the brackets and raise the pipes to the higher mounts. It looks extra goofy if you just pull the bags! I had my ST as an only bike for years. Really from 2005 until 2013ish when I put the 916 on the road. It served as my sport bike and I had stripped most useful ST things off it like the bags and center stand. It served sport bike duty pretty well but I am honestly liking it more with a proper set of ST tires and all the "stuff" back on it. I think they look better without the bags, but they appeal to an older group with them mounted. The bike looks pretty bad ass with them on. You know it hauls ass just by looking at it, but you can take your stuff along for the ride and maybe don't need a chiropractor on speed dial! I get comments every time I take the ST out and stop somewhere. Not many people say anything about the 916 unless they already know what it is. I swear every time I take the ST to a store or post office running errands, I have a 50-something asking me questions or giving a thumbs up.

You sure you really want to sell it? Yours looks pretty nice!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The is a great bike but I'm no longer riding on the road so it just sits in the garage. I did take the ST to four track days this year and had a blast with the bike. I do have several pic of it on the track without bags or hardware but was reluctant to post them with the adds. It seems the consensus here is to show the bike in a sportier light so I'll put the track pics in the adds. Funny thing is I picked up a 848 eve se for the track because I did not want to drop / ruin the ST. I should have known the St would be hard to sell and kept it for track days until next spring.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I'll offer up my $0.02 here as a recent buyer, only 2 weeks ago. I picked up a low mileage (7,700 mi) '05 ST3 from a fellow in PA. I'm a 1st time Duc owner, have had other Italian (MG V11LeMans) brands and currently have a Tuono V4R. I moved from an ST1300 to this ST3, call it a porky sport tourer to gazelle. I've wanted to try a Duc for years, I finally decided to get off the pot.

I looked on both Craigs and Cycletrader, more often on Cycletrader though when I was shopping. I'd seen my bike on CT in April, emailed the owner and explained I needed to sell the ST1300 before I could close the deal, of course knowing it could be bought by another at any time. Luckily for me it worked out that the ST1300 sold and this ST3 was still available. It took a little more than two months for my ST1300 to sell, I sold it thru a dealer on consignment in northern DE.

When I picked up the ST3 I asked the seller what sort of response he had gotten from CT. In so many words, I think I was his only legit lead. He mentioned there was some scam-ish type inquiries, I think he took it off CT once he sensed he had a live one on the hook. As a back up I talked to a guy selling one in NJ, but I didn't need to pursue it in the end. There were several candidates in VA too, so as a buyer the was ample inventory out there.

Now, out to the garage to check cam belt tension!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I think the bike (to me) looks great with the bags on it. But I'd remove the top box and mention it's available or sell it separately.

I don't think I put up pictures on the track. Some may assume it's a beaten up track bike.

Bob

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm sure everyone's experience varies, but I found and bought both my Duc's on Craigslist and sold one of them on Craigslist, all with little hassle. Don't think I've ever looked at Cycletrader.

I troll CL in Colorado regularly. Usually see ST's pop up around $6-$7k, sit, drop, sit, drop, until they hit around $4k before disappearing.

At 13 years old, miles and potential maintenance, plus older tech probably scare most away.

I swore I wasn't going to throw any money at mine, because I knew it would never sell for anything. That hasn't worked out very well for me or my pocketbook!

·
Registered
205 Posts
i looked to buy one a few months ago to strip down and turn into a cafe style bike. I hate to keep beating a dead horse but as others have said take all those bags off and just put them up for sale separately. You will then get the people looking for a "sport" styled bike and not a full on touring bike and you'll make some cash for a fellow Duc lover that wants to use the bags on their ride.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I sold my '03 ST4s ABS with ~44k miles last summer for $4800. It sold pretty quickly. I think it was only on Craigslist for about two weeks. The guy I sold it to has now posted it on CL. He's put new tires on it and only added about 500 miles to the clock. He was asking $5000 at first, but has dropped his price to $4000. It's been listed for a couple of months. I wish I had $4k laying around. I'd snatch it up.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts