Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Smut peddler
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the rub fellas, old Jackie and Mrs TREEHORN are heading down to SD for a little R&R next week. I rented a monster for the week, and she ain't overly happy aboot it. Help old Jackie find some cool roads, nice spots to go to for chow, sight seeing, and a nice cliffside rest stop overlooking the Pacific so Mrs TREEHORN and I can be all cuddly and romantic.... or I can throw her off if she gets too yappy.:D

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I did this route the last time I rode the area in August.
https://goo.gl/maps/geu5H

Tons of great roads around there, depending on how far you're willing to go. As stated, you have to ride South Grade of Palomar at least a couple times. If you have the time to go that far, Banner Grade east of Julian can be a pretty good time on a Monster (depending on if the ambient temps let the tires warm up enough...). Highway 94 is the "scenic" route I take in lieu of the interstate when I am headed to San Diego, but don't have the entire day to ride.

Be careful next week on Palomar. It's raining in that area all this week, and it washes gravel across the road when it runs off. I hit a huge patch of it a couple years ago on East Grade and lowsided. Try do at least one "recon" run before you push through any of the corners.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
if clear,
ACH/HWY2
HWY 33 (Ojai)
HWY 58 (if you're coming down the 101)
Cerro Noroeste Rd (see above)

Have a great ride, ;)

·
Smut peddler
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great advice fellas. I'm so excited to ride again that I decided to suit up right now, so ill be ready when we get there. Hope that's not a problem with the TSA that I'm gonna have a helmet on.:D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Depending on how far you want to go, the Ortega highway is a must do.
Back road it from SD up to the 15 and north of Temecula is Lake Elsinore. Ortega is hwy 74.
Take that back west to the 5 but be sure to stop at Hells Kitchen for a uber good sammich and a beer. Then bop the 5 back down to SD.

You'll likey that ride.

This is coming from a cheesehead who lived in socal for a too short of a duration. Yes I miss what I call home which is Socal.

edit: When you wind uphill on the Ortega from Lake Elsinore for maybe 3 miles, stop at the overlook drive in on your right. Quite the view of Lake Elsinore and the area.

Then to de piss off the wife and win get ya laid mondo points, take the rental car back to Temecula and visit all the wineries for tastings. Take the 15 from SD to Temecula, exit on Rancho California and just head east. You can hit perhaps 15 wineries.

·
Smut peddler
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the first SOCAL thread is made by a southern Candian, lol?Thanks again fellas. I'm so frigging excited to get oot and ride, I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep. Anyone wants to meet at the waterfront or cherry bomb, I'm buying!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Old thread bump.

I'm travelling to SD on business next week and have a day to kill (Tuesday). Staying in Sorrento Valley. Was considering renting a bike for a day and maybe hitting up some of these routes. Where would you recommend renting (one day only)? I'll also need a rental helmet. Suggestions?

Doesn't have to be a Ducati, but would prefer it not be a cruiser.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Border ride

I've always enjoyed taking a ride out on the 94 east, it's got some curves and nice views of the border. Follow it all the way back to the 8 west and ride right back to SD. Good way to spend 3-4 hours riding. Mocked up something quick for you to consider, Enjoy SoCal

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Working off Shazaam's first map, my favorite weekend ride right out my backdoor is: Dehesa Rd to Japatul Valley Rd into Pine Valley and up to Mt. Laguna (if you really want to stretch out your ride). Lots of curves, up and down, fast straights, little traffic if you get out early.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts