Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Southern and Northern California Hypermotard riders.
It is time to meet old friends again - and be introduced to new ones.

Last year SoCAL meets NoCAL gathering was a great weekend that left everyone with a smile.

Many people has contributed to that success, and it is a great opportunity to to not only thank them all again - thank you - but to ask for their help and participation once more.

Here's the scope:

Suggested time: Sometime during September 2009
Suggested Place: Lake Isabella (North East of Bakersfield) See map here:http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ei=6_oVSqbbDKGElAeyn6HPCw&resnum=1&q=Lake+Isabella&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=7PoVStr6LMvVlQfYst3KCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

Suggested Events: Ride the roads around the lake (all are world class riding roads with incredible views), chill out by the lake, plenty of activities for those family members who do not ride (water sports, rafting, fishing, etc). and of course, BBQs, beer, and &%[email protected]# every night.

Ideally this would be a long weekend where we get to spend 2 nights by the lake, and have two half days and one full day of riding (Friday morning to Sunday night for those who scratch their foreheads).

If September is agreeable by most, a suggested campground will be posted.

I hope this is a long enough "heads up" for everyone - no excuses for not attending.

Love to see you all again.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Hello Southern and Northern California Hypermotard riders.
It is time to meet old friends again - and be introduced to new ones.

Last year SoCAL meets NoCAL gathering was a great weekend that left everyone with a smile.

Many people has contributed to that success, and it is a great opportunity to to not only thank them all again - thank you - but to ask for their help and participation once more.

Here's the scope:

Suggested time: Sometime during September 2009
Suggested Place: Lake Isabella (North East of Bakersfield) See map here:http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ei=6_oVSqbbDKGElAeyn6HPCw&resnum=1&q=Lake+Isabella&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=7PoVStr6LMvVlQfYst3KCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

Suggested Events: Ride the roads around the lake (all are world class riding roads with incredible views), chill out by the lake, plenty of activities for those family members who do not ride (water sports, rafting, fishing, etc). and of course, BBQs, beer, and &%[email protected]# every night.

Ideally this would be a long weekend where we get to spend 2 nights by the lake, and have two half days and one full day of riding (Friday morning to Sunday night for those who scratch their foreheads).

If September is agreeable by most, a suggested campground will be posted.

I hope this is a long enough "heads up" for everyone - no excuses for not attending.

Love to see you all again.
Yes, it would be great to see you guys again and to meet the other SoCal Hyper guys. I would prefer the last half of September since I'll be on a big road trip through the first week or so of September. So count me as in.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks Tamir for taking the lead on getting this started! The last one was a BLAST and you can count me in.

Cheers

:abduct:

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I'll lightly pencil it in but am keeping an eraser close by.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm already booked for labor day(9/4-7) but, any other weekend would work. Any dirtbiking up there? Trying to figure out how many bikes to bring!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
SoCal Norton Club

FYI
All Makes Years and models are welcome

If you are itching to ride sooner

June 5-7 Cambria/Big Sur Ride (Weekend): Get your reservations now. It’s a busy weekend in Cambria but motels are also available nearby in Cayucos and San Simeon. Lots of places available on Moonstone Beach - which has become pricier. I will be staying at the Creekside on the east side of downtown Cambria (805 927-4021). Other places you might consider include: Cambria Pines (805 927-4016); Cambria Castle Inn (805 927-8605) or San Simeon Pines (805 927-4648). The Cambria city website has lots of lodging info for Cambria and the surrounding area including Cayucos, Morro Bay and San Simeon.
Bill Bibbiani call 626-791-0259 for more info
More Info about the Cambria ride:
Going to Cambria/Big Sur on the weekend of June 5-7? Contact me at 626 791-0259 or [email protected] to confirm your participation. This is a spectacular ride through wine country west of Paso Robles and Carmel Valley Road on Saturday morning and the full Big Sur experience, 108 miles worth, in the afternoon. Keep the ocean on your right and enjoy!

You know you have always wanted to do this ride, so join the 50+ club “regulars” who have already signed up to attend. If you cannot find a room in Cambria/Moonstone Beach, try Cayucos, San Simeon (motels and a state park campground) or Morro Bay. Call me if you have an extra room and/or a spare bed so we can match you up with someone to share expenses. The de facto headquarters/message center for the weekend is the Creekside Motel, 805 927-4021, on the eastside of downtown (?) Cambria.

We’ll meet Friday evening around 5-6pm at the West End Bar and Grill, 774 Main St – about ¼ mile east of Highway 1- before (or for) dinner. The ride starts promptly at 8:30 on Saturday morning at the Redwood Café, 2094 Main St. Get there early for breakfast, map and directions and with a full tank of gas! No stragglers, no waiting. There will be a chase truck: $5/bike payable at breakfast and priceless if you need it.

I'll be going up Friday morning from Pasadena.
I'm throwing my bags in to the chase truck that will be going up Friday morning. I can travel lite with only the Bare essentials until i get up there.
The ride encompasses Fort Liggett the James Dean Memorial and more, plus good times with the wild and crazy Norton Bunch
Pictures from last years Cambria Ride

+
Just for Giggles
as always every second Wed of each and every month.
Many makes models and years show up so it can be very interesting
# Jun. 10 (Wednesday 2009) - Brit Bike Night: Burger Continental for monthly meeting (6:30-8:00pm), located at 535 S. Lake Ave, Pasadena.

++
and ...... This one is local and can be very entertaining
Jun. 21 (Sunday 2009) - Father's Day Party at Century Cycles: Meet for breakfast at Cafe Eats located on Los Feliz and near the 5 freeway. Ride down as a group leaving there at 10am to Century Motorcycles, located at 1640 S Pacific Avenue,San Pedro, CA. A British Magazine will be covering the party and it sure would be nice to show off all of those beautiful Nortons. For more info. contact Century Motorcycles, (310) 832-6190.

jc

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Been there, done that.

OK Guys, phase two:

Me and and my other half went last Monday to check out the area.
We looked at almost all the camping areas around the lake (Isabella), and further up stream along the Kern river.

The best sites we found were Boulder Gulch, and Tillie Creek.
Here's the catch. These are state owned campgrounds, which operate on a "first come first served" bases. You can book a camp spot, but until you actually show up, you can't know which one is available. In other words, if you come late and the campground is full, you'll end up in the worst spot (no shade, away from everybody else).

The solution according to those in charge, is to have one person show up early to reserve the best spots (lots of shade, and close to each other) by giving the manager the information of the cars of those attending.
Each parking spot is $22 + $5 for a second car (if any). Furthermore, each spot can accommodate up to 6 people, in up to two tents,so we can share the spots to save.

The roads around the lake are quite beautiful, but for most part are highly technical in nature (meaning they are narrow, the surface is not ideal, and the turns are tight). If anything they truly suit a real supermoto. I drove on the 178, parts of Sierra HW, and Caliente Bodfish Rd; all have their magic, and will keep us on our toes as well as looking at the views (which are spectacular). I will post pictures as soon as I find - or buy - my digital camera cable.

We didn't discuss the actual dates yet, but it seems like the first or second weekend of September will work best for most. Those of you who knows what's good (and therfore sure about coming ;)), will do well to suggest their preffered weekend during this time, so we can go ahead with the booking. If you decide to do it on the first week of September (I think it's Labor Day), and therfore be there for 3 nights, then we can consider dedicating one day to water sports activities - rafting will be a good choice, but there are plenty of other things to do in and around the lake.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Tsu, one thing to consider is Labor day weekend is one of the most popular weekends for camping which may make it very hard to get a site... shade or not.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
My vote is for the second weekend in September.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yep, 2nd or 3rd weekend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks like the second weekend is leading after the first few laps.
It'll be great if someone will chart some possible loops. Two short ones and one long one for Saturday.

Meanwhile, I got the images ready to upload today. Here they are: some taste of things to come: from dessert to lush river bunks to mountains and a lake. The area is beautiful.

Regarding the campgrounds: if we want to be closer to town and to the lake (less walk) then Tillie Creek would be best, it has many potential good collection of camping sites, though is has smaller kind of trees. If we want somewhat more remote location, with higher "wilder" trees, Boulder Gulch will be great, though Boulder Gulch is smaller so there's only one or two areas which are ideal for us as a group.

Either campground we choose; and please share your thoughts on the matter, one of us from SoCal, can get there early on Friday morning and secure the camp spots for the rest. Having been there in the second busiest weekend of the year, it's clear how "hourly" driven the whole thing is; by 1:30PM, almost all the spots have been emptied. By the same logic, if one of us get there say at; 9:00 to 10:00 AM, he'll have no trouble marking a good set of spots for all of us (to judge by last year: about 4 sites, but it'll be great if this year we'll need more); so who else is coming? I know it says SoCal meets NoCal but we won't eat anyone out of state - unless of course we'll run out things to BBQ ;).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
We are in 100% Tamir. I can most likely help too by getting up there early.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 105 Posts