Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m bored, tried to wheelie a couple of times, maybe i m not used to it or smt, but even if im on 2nd and i hit 5-6 k rpm with the gas, still it wont lift up much.

it took me years to learn how to start at 2-3k rpm , so the clutch wont make noise, i start up perfectly, gently, but i m thinking i got used to start up too gently , since i m a town rider mostly.

so, how to wheelie easily ,or not enough power to do or the 916 is simply not made for it, i have a low ride height setting and 180 michelin tires, donno if it matters.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Tough to wheelie below 9k on a Ducati... Also, if you mount a wider rear tire it helps.. Cqn you fit a 250 like on a diavel? Consider getting a swing arm extension also... Lots of gsxr have those... Sometimes you can get neon lights included in the ackagw too. Is yours a single sided swing arm 916 or the rare double sided kind Ducati sold in Romania for a short while?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't know anything about the 916 except they are beautiful. I don't think my 999s will do it in second with only the throttle. The only times I've lifted the front off the ground are in 1st gear rolling at 5000 rpm and twist the throttle hard.

Oh, and the standard response... be careful- don't do it, it's not a stunt bike- etc :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
duc's have lots of torque ..stay away from the clutch on the duke you dont need it to wheelie..find a steep hill go up it in first gear at 20 kmph..then open the throttle as fast as you can to the stop...if it dont wheelie then ..your bike is farked!! hills are a great place to learn and feel the bike w/out killing yourself on the flat..have a practice on a hill mate..johnny

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,729 Posts
Wheelie a Duc for any length of time & you starve the oil pump.... real smart.
But as said... it's his bike...man.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Go to You Tube and get a link on how to wheelie your motorcycle....the world will be your oyster!:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bro my 999 wont even come up in 2nd with power. You gotta clutch that sucker up. Doesnt sound like u gonna be wheelying into the sunset anytime soon, so i wouldnt worry about starving that bugger of oil. Although, 916s are fragile enough just left standing in the garage so doing wheelies with it is really ill advised!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I'm not, and have never been, a wheelie merchant but my 916 will lift off the throttle in 2nd gear, no problems.

What gearing do you have?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Dont use the clutch on ducatis especially if it is dry. It will kill it in a matter of seconds. Just launch like you normaly do. Then, when you feel like the bike is getting into the sweetspot of the powerband, increase throttle quickly but smoothly. It should come up if you have anything with more than 85hp and the correct gearing. After that it is up to you to find the balance point and shifting on one wheel.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Bro my 999 wont even come up in 2nd with power. You gotta clutch that sucker up. Doesnt sound like u gonna be wheelying into the sunset anytime soon, so i wouldnt worry about starving that bugger of oil. Although, 916s are fragile enough just left standing in the garage so doing wheelies with it is really ill advised!
....Your 999 must have OEM gearing, even then in 2nd when it hits the powerband it will lift.....try a 15T frt. and 41T....better to go even 42T rear, you'll find it improves the engine everywhere.....if all else fails throw in a 1038cc kit and HC pistons, some porting, valve work....:D

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
have a practice on a hill mate..
+1 Little hills.... get me all the time, if you ride hard enough that front end gets real light, next thing you know you're up in the air.

I can wheelie my m750 and I weight 185 so there...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wheelie a Duc for any length of time & you starve the oil pump.... real smart.
But as said... it's his bike...man.

Jason Britton, of Superbikes, discovered this problem on the Hyper when he was asked to wheelie over a very long bridge for a photo shoot. The Hyper he used had an airbox which caused the motor to ingest the oil and damage the connecting rod and head I believe due to hydrolocking.
Buy a dirt bike.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Its a matter of practice. I do short ones, 50-100ft for fun from time to time or to make my wife laugh. (In front of the house or when I see her driving, not riding on the back, though that makes it much easier)

Other than what other people have said, when you are practicing them and you feel like you went to high or just get scared, do not let to front end drop right down. A hard landing can really screw you up and also the head tube bearings and other front end bits.

Learn slowly, they are fun.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Be careful, if you dont land them correctly you will Blow your fork seals. Wheelies are cool and everything but they are very hard on the equipment. That being said............

The 996 or 999 are great for it, just dump the clutch at about 3 to 5mph and gun it and you will have a 12 o clock stand up wheelie right from the get go... takes practice though and you have to know your bike or you will have that bike in your lap and that never feels good. :D Throttle control is a must

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Rear brake

Make sure you cover the the rear brake just in case... surprised nobody mentioned that as that is like the first rule of thumb

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The 996 or 999 are great for it, just dump the clutch at about 3 to 5mph and gun it and you will have a 12 o clock stand up wheelie right from the get go... takes practice though and you have to know your bike or you will have that bike in your lap and that never feels good. :D Throttle control is a must
Do this and you will end up at 9 o clock with no testies and a destroyed bike.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not, and have never been, a wheelie merchant but my 916 will lift off the throttle in 2nd gear, no problems.

What gearing do you have?
i have standard gearing, had the bike for 2 years now, i can practically do whatever i want with it without crashing, i take corners as low as my right knee almost touching the ground, and that in the city, anyways, etc, i know the bike, still, the only thing i cant do is lift it s nose up at least more then 3-4 cm as i think i do if in 2nd i give her a nod from 2k rpm to 5-6k rpm.... i always hesitate to open up the throttle more

al;so i have the habit/instinct to lean forward whenever the bike accelerates and tuck myself under the windshield :/

anyways, had the bike for so long and still i cant make not one single wheelie, it s a buzz :/

1 - 20 of 33 Posts