Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
You sissies that don't like the original 1098SFS or the new V4 need to stop complaining. I like horsepower and and it sells. Many of us like it. That's why they have pussy modes on these mega horsepower bikes now. To make them more user friendly to more people. There is usually a less powerful version of most bikes available to those that don't want the extreme version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
V4 SF Superleggera would be very tempting. But buying a base or S model to replace all its steel bolts with the titanium or aluminum ones, or plastic parts to CF, is not something I want to do again. It took a lot of efforts to customize my SF1098 to be close enough to what I would like it to be. And then.... the 848/1098 are now becoming the "classic Ducatis". I love it!
Riding a 200hp bike on the street is exhausting. Sometimes the sheer impractically is fun. It was admittedly a vanity purchase, but even 4 years later I'm ok with that. In 2019 my Panigale 1299 was pretty much a track & ECM bike. My new daily ride is a ktm 690 sumo.
Sputniks, I know what you mean. I put a lot into custom bits on my Monster 1200R which is something I don't care to repeat so soon. Moreover, as you wrote about the SF1098, The Monster "R" is now the last of it's kind superseded by the SFV4. If I were to replace the Monster having a Multistrada, it would be with a Panigale V4.

Slowdive, I agree about vanity purchases which is what a Panigale V4 would be for me. My previous Panigale 959 was more than enough for both the street and the track. However, a V4 would be nice.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You sissies that don't like the original 1098SFS or the new V4 need to stop complaining. I like horsepower and and it sells. Many of us like it. That's why they have pussy modes on these mega horsepower bikes now. To make them more user friendly to more people. There is usually a less powerful version of most bikes available to those that don't want the extreme version.
Oh my .... compensating for some insecurity about an ~under endowment~ goin' on? :giggle:

Nah .... couldn't possibly be that, you're a mighty mighty manly man!! ... y'know, cuz everyone that doesn't want twelve tons of horsepower to proudly show to all of the girly girls how big your ... oops ... I mean how much um ... ~horsepower~ (ahem) you're sportin between your legs is a sissy pussy boy!!!! They're certainly not hairy chested manly men! :cool:

Yea ...... yea ... that's what it's all about ... right ... got it. (y) :giggle:

Oh! .... and don't forget to shove that potato in your pants before you mount your big horsepower steed ... wouldn't want to neglect such an important part of the image!

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

(I'm just fekkin with ya ... you know that, right? ... I mean .... door all wide open ... begging for a little fun)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Talk about opinions... yeah?

(I'm just fekkin with ya ... you know that, right? ... I mean .... door all wide open ... begging for a little fun)
Ah I love that you have to add your disclaimers now...:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Oh my .... compensating for some insecurity about an ~under endowment~ goin' on? :giggle:

Nah .... couldn't possibly be that, you're a mighty mighty manly man!! ... y'know, cuz everyone that doesn't want twelve tons of horsepower to proudly show to all of the girly girls how big your ... oops ... I mean how much um ... ~horsepower~ (ahem) you're sportin between your legs is a sissy pussy boy!!!! They're certainly not hairy chested manly men! :cool:

Yea ...... yea ... that's what it's all about ... right ... got it. (y) :giggle:

Oh! .... and don't forget to shove that potato in your pants before you mount your big horsepower steed ... wouldn't want to neglect such an important part of the image!

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with my JUNK? You obviously don't know anything about me as far as the bikes that I currently own besides the SFS or have owned in the past. One of my favorite bikes made about 55hp and weighed 400lbs wet. Another bike that I really like is 15 years old and only has 955cc. It's plenty fast and capable in the corners or in a straight line. It's all about the rider and technique to be fast and safe.
So I appreciate both small and large displacement mega horsepower motorcycles. As a matter of fact if I was going to buy a track only bike either a naked bike or with fairings I'd probably be looking for a 600 or a 750 four cylinder.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I've never seen that movie but I've seen a few clips from it. Thanks for helping me out with that. And, no I'm not up for cheap jabs or games.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Back to topic please... I agree with flynn... We need to see how the new SF rides. I, for one, have been awaiting this bike since I let my '10 1098 SFS go due to the stupid [email protected] plastic tank. I hoped they would release a 1199 SFS, then a 1299 to no avail. You are all right that this bike will be no fun over 120, sh!t, the SFS felt brutal over that speed. But damn, this one is sure gonna get to that triple digit speed quick.

I'm hoping this bike is a big improvement in handling and fueling over that SFS (which I think it will be). Hearing all this discussion on how much you had to do to address the "quirks" of the orig SFS brought back memories of all that I did to that bike.

Probably gonna catch h3ll for this, but I wonder if the heat is going to be an issue on this bike. I don't remember it being a factor on the SFS.

·
Bon Vivant
10,493 Posts
The original streetfighter wasnt a motorcycle it was a "Ducatista membership test". Only true Ducati Zealots would suffer through the agony of trying to sort the damn thing out without just dumping it off on some other poor sap. Are you worthy of owning a Ducati? here's how you prove it, get this POS running,riding, and handling like it should.

I'm sorry but most of us failed.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
That's because the original SFS is like a wild horse that doesn't want to be ridden or trained. If you want to ride it you have to put up with the quirks and hold on for your life. I don't think that made it a bad bike. It's just not a bike for everyone.

·
Bon Vivant
10,493 Posts
That's because the original SFS is like a wild horse that doesn't want to be ridden or trained. If you want to ride it you have to put up with the quirks and hold on for your life. I don't think that made it a bad bike. It's just not a bike for everyone.

On the contrary, once it's sorted the thing is world class.

·
Registered
93 Posts
IMHO, (and this is a full opinion piece, here I go) All streetfighters should be V2's of well under 1000ccs. The 848 might just well be the perfect SF. I don't think it needs to be a 955, but it could be ok. The new V4 is borderline ridiculous. The thing that makes it ridiculous is 200hp in an unfaired package.

To make use of the horsepower at the speeds it could take you is going to require all of your strength just to avoid becoming a human parachute. It just doesn't make sense. A guy pitted next to me at track day with a 1290 Super Duke at Road America came right out and said "This was stupid. My arms hurt from holding on." and he packed up after the lunch session. The V4 SF will only be worse.

I estimate the maximum horsepower a naked bike should have to be about 120 or so.

SF's are road machines, not track machines. They need more torque and less HP, which is why a V2 is so much better than a V4 for a SF. Ducati made a huge mistake. I think they just went through all the expense of developing the V4, and the next thought is "what else can we do with it?" Nothing. It only belongs in the Panigale. What's next, a 200 hp V4 Adventure? Sheesh stop.

And thus ends my opinion. ;)
This is a very rational and logical response to the new streetfigher. In saying that, I still really want one but will probably wait till they are more affordable second hand.

I rode my Streetfighter 1098s at the track for the first time last weekend, and though I was slower than my MV Agusta F3 675, I had a ton of fun even though the long straights were hard. I think the its main selling pint is how ludicrous it is and looks like an absolute weapon. Does it make sense.....probably not, but from all accounts most dealers have sold out of their initial allotments of them next year and there are waiting lists now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Agreed, this bike is the epitome of "why motorcycles are not rational choices". Which, BTW, is EXACTLY why I'm gonna buy it. :) I loved my 1098S and, were it not for the plastic tank expanding, I'd still have her. Other than the first few months of owning her (original owner), I only ever ran ethanol-free gas in it. I did a ton of stuff to that bike and had her all squared away, but couldn't stop the tank expansion.

·
Bon Vivant
10,493 Posts
think the its main selling pint is how ludicrous it is and looks like an absolute weapon. Does it make sense.....probably not, but from all accounts most dealers have sold out of their initial allotments of them next year and there are waiting lists now.
This ^^^ The whole point is the audacity of the thing. Who cares if you're blown off at 160MPH - I'm not gonna ride it that fast anyway. But the acceleration of bikes like these is orgasmic and its cool to know that the power is there and completely ridiculous.

I'm not gonna buy one this year but I may get one down the road depending on how sorted they are off the showroom floor. I'm not gonna suffer another shitty bike because of fueling. If the bike is really good I'll buy one.

And BTW I'm sure the first reviews will rave about it but we can all can see through that BS, Time and you first owners will eventually tell the real story.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The original streetfighter wasnt a motorcycle it was a "Ducatista membership test". Only true Ducati Zealots would suffer through the agony of trying to sort the damn thing out without just dumping it off on some other poor sap. Are you worthy of owning a Ducati? here's how you prove it, get this POS running,riding, and handling like it should.

I'm sorry but most of us failed.
Having only had my SFS for a year and a half (it was bone stock apart from clutch cover when I bought it). I have put a full termi system on it, had it custom tuned with tuneboy, put a new clutch pressure plate, swapped all plastic for carbon and ohlins steering damper I wouldn't say it was that bad from factory. The fueling was terrible and that was easily fixed for me. It's still crap in traffic but out on back roads or the track it is a right laugh and puts a smile on your face. I wouldn't say the best but it is still sharp and does what you want it too.

In saying that the guy I bought it off seemed happy to be rid of it and seemed scared of riding it....

·
Bon Vivant
10,493 Posts
Having only had my SFS for a year and a half (it was bone stock apart from clutch cover when I bought it). I have put a full termi system on it, had it custom tuned with tuneboy, put a new clutch pressure plate, swapped all plastic for carbon and ohlins steering damper I wouldn't say it was that bad from factory. The fueling was terrible and that was easily fixed for me. It's still crap in traffic but out on back roads or the track it is a right laugh and puts a smile on your face. I wouldn't say the best but it is still sharp and does what you want it too.

In saying that the guy I bought it off seemed happy to be rid of it and seemed scared of riding it....
I didnt think mine was that bad either until I got a couple of bikes that were really good. With nothing to compare it to the SF seems like a champ, but own the S1000R or the Tuono Factory for a few months and then tell me what you think.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I didnt think mine was that bad either until I got a couple of bikes that were really good. With nothing to compare it to the SF seems like a champ, but own the S1000R or the Tuono Factory for a few months and then tell me what you think.
Ignorance is bliss, will probably be happy living with it and my streetfigther. Wasn't a huge fan of the S1000r when i rode one. Tuono would be interesting to ride but its just too ugly for me.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This ^^^ The whole point is the audacity of the thing. Who cares if you're blown off at 160MPH - I'm not gonna ride it that fast anyway. But the acceleration of bikes like these is orgasmic and its cool to know that the power is there and completely ridiculous.

I'm not gonna buy one this year but I may get one down the road depending on how sorted they are off the showroom floor. I'm not gonna suffer another shitty bike because of fueling. If the bike is really good I'll buy one.

And BTW I'm sure the first reviews will rave about it but we can all can see through that BS, Time and you first owners will eventually tell the real story.
I'm waiting too, but mostly because I may be relocating soon and it's not the right time.... also it would be bike #4. I doubt I can bring myself to get rid of my 2010 SFS (alum tank, termis....perfect). I will be surprised if the SFV4 is anything other than excellent to ride, but I am interested to wait an see as well.

I also wish they had at least one more color option. Maybe next year?

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Back to topic please... I agree with flynn... We need to see how the new SF rides. I, for one, have been awaiting this bike since I let my '10 1098 SFS go due to the stupid [email protected] plastic tank. I hoped they would release a 1199 SFS, then a 1299 to no avail. You are all right that this bike will be no fun over 120, sh!t, the SFS felt brutal over that speed. But damn, this one is sure gonna get to that triple digit speed quick.

I'm hoping this bike is a big improvement in handling and fueling over that SFS (which I think it will be). Hearing all this discussion on how much you had to do to address the "quirks" of the orig SFS brought back memories of all that I did to that bike.

Probably gonna catch h3ll for this, but I wonder if the heat is going to be an issue on this bike. I don't remember it being a factor on the SFS.
It's the quirks that people miss... and as much as I hate to say it... it's nowhere near as pretty as the 1098sf, and while I might get used to a non-trellis Ducati, and it'll DEFINITELY handle and fuel much better than the older sibling, I'll NEVER think it's better looking.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts