Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
... or a lightweight 600cc horizontal single cylinder nekked .... 4v/fluid cooled ....

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I'm going to vote no on this one. However, I like the idea but a smaller displacement V2 Panigale Streetfighter would need to have some engine changes to give it good midrange torque. If that could be done then I vote yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to vote no on this one. However, I like the idea but a smaller displacement V2 Panigale Streetfighter would need to have some engine changes to give it good midrange torque. If that could be done then I vote yes.

yes for sure retuned, but seems to make sense as they did with the original streetfighter 848 take a midrange superbike and tune it and but it in a naked chassis!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don’t see it happening anytime soon. The SF848 was developed to address many of the issues that the SF1098 had. The SF1098 is a lot of bike in a naked package with geometry and fueling that requires sorting.

The new V4SF has nimble geometry, a stable chassis, smooth power delivery, and a full electronics suite. The bike is purposed for both street and track riding, and can be further tailored to suit your exact needs.

Yes, the price tag limits entry, however Ducati has positioned the new SF to be a super high performing motorcycle.

Test ride a Panigale V4 and you’ll see just how easy it is to ride, but twist the throttle and it comes alive. Real fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A 1199 SF would've been cool. The 1098 SFS is a handful, but once you get used to it pretty easy to ride. The new SF is crazy fast and let's be honest could easily hit 185mph or more. My question is why? Anything over 90mph on SFS sucks. The new one doesn't have a windshield. Very interested to hear reviews next year and see one in person.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
the V4 is under 400lbs which is pretty amazing for the power level (and I suspect if the Akro is cat delete it's another 10-15lbs lighter)... but yea it's 30lbs more than the 1098sf... which maybe leaves room for a lightweight V2... but they had trouble moving the 1098 over the Monster, fielding two supernaked's that spec'd out so similarly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wish they did a lower cc model around 15k. I love my 848 and the only thing I wish it had was the newer technology. The 1k+ cc bikes are too much for my riding style. I'm already holding on for dear life when I ring out the throttle. I can't imagine the type of wind blasting experience on the V4.

Does anyone know of they made any changes to the clunky gearbox? Is the clutch LIGHTER? Are you able to ride it below 20mph without being a professional bull rider?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Clunky gearbox on a SF? The gearbox on my SFS is butter smooth. It's one of the smoothest gearboxes I've ever had and I've owned and ridden many motorcycles from many manufacturers. If you have a clunky gearbox I don't think that's the norm on a SF. No Ducati is going to want to ride smoothly below 20mph. If you want that get a Harley or a scooter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wish they did a lower cc model around 15k. I love my 848 and the only thing I wish it had was the newer technology. The 1k+ cc bikes are too much for my riding style. I'm already holding on for dear life when I ring out the throttle. I can't imagine the type of wind blasting experience on the V4.

Does anyone know of they made any changes to the clunky gearbox? Is the clutch LIGHTER? Are you able to ride it below 20mph without being a professional bull rider?

With all the electronics these bikes have now, riding them is easier than ever.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The new V4 SF isn't doing it for me. Long wheel base (again), winglets, front headlight looks off, 30 lbs heavier, and I miss the trellis frame. I wanted to like this bike.

However until I see it in person I won't discount it entirely, but for 20k plus I'm not feeling it.

·
1,718 Posts
V4 SF Superleggera would be very tempting. But buying a base or S model to replace all its steel bolts with the titanium or aluminum ones, or plastic parts to CF, is not something I want to do again. It took a lot of efforts to customize my SF1098 to be close enough to what I would like it to be. And then.... the 848/1098 are now becoming the "classic Ducatis". I love it!

·
Bon Vivant
10,280 Posts
I don’t see it happening anytime soon. The SF848 was developed to address many of the issues that the SF1098 had. The SF1098 is a lot of bike in a naked package with geometry and fueling that requires sorting.

The new V4SF has nimble geometry, a stable chassis, smooth power delivery, and a full electronics suite. The bike is purposed for both street and track riding, and can be further tailored to suit your exact needs.
Have you ridden the bike? If not how would you know anything about how nimble it is or how smooth the fueling is? I think you're getting ahead of yourself here... I dont think any of us can say these things until we get a chance to ride the bike.

And BTW the 848 wasn't designed to address issues with the 1098, it was designed to work as an 848 - a bike with less power and therefore less liability. I agree that the fuelling was crap on the 1098 but it was also crap on the 848, and the geometry on the 1098 was a compromise because of the violent power delivery and remember - Ducati was the first company to build a hyper-naked with the type of performance that the 1098 put out. They did what they thought they needed to do to keep the bike relatively stable and the front wheel on the ground. The 1098SF is still to this day a beast of a bike.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Well it's really a PaniV4 in a skimpy outfit without the clipons... they said something about tweaks for midrange but given the hp numbers I'd not be surprised if the dyno charts lay on top of each other. We won't know for sure until people start getting them but I don't think it's too out there to assume it'll be in the neighborhood of the Panigale in most performance metrics... same engine, same ecu/electronics suite, same suspension even maybe?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I doubt Ducati will invest the R&D to put a V2 into this platform until the V4 version is a demonstrable success. Their first incarnation was not a financial win for them. Even if this bike is the tits, I just don't know if they have a market for an SF at this price point. Present company excluded.

·
Registered
89 Posts
V4 SF Superleggera would be very tempting. But buying a base or S model to replace all its steel bolts with the titanium or aluminum ones, or plastic parts to CF, is not something I want to do again. It took a lot of efforts to customize my SF1098 to be close enough to what I would like it to be. And then.... the 848/1098 are now becoming the "classic Ducatis". I love it!
I would love to add a SF V4s to the garage but the price of them is just getting out of hand. Add doing hat I have done to my SFS so far and it gets too out of hand.

·
Registered
236 Posts
IMHO, (and this is a full opinion piece, here I go) All streetfighters should be V2's of well under 1000ccs. The 848 might just well be the perfect SF. I don't think it needs to be a 955, but it could be ok. The new V4 is borderline ridiculous. The thing that makes it ridiculous is 200hp in an unfaired package.

To make use of the horsepower at the speeds it could take you is going to require all of your strength just to avoid becoming a human parachute. It just doesn't make sense. A guy pitted next to me at track day with a 1290 Super Duke at Road America came right out and said "This was stupid. My arms hurt from holding on." and he packed up after the lunch session. The V4 SF will only be worse.

I estimate the maximum horsepower a naked bike should have to be about 120 or so.

SF's are road machines, not track machines. They need more torque and less HP, which is why a V2 is so much better than a V4 for a SF. Ducati made a huge mistake. I think they just went through all the expense of developing the V4, and the next thought is "what else can we do with it?" Nothing. It only belongs in the Panigale. What's next, a 200 hp V4 Adventure? Sheesh stop.

And thus ends my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Riding a 200hp bike on the street is exhausting. Sometimes the sheer impractically is fun. It was admittedly a vanity purchase, but even 4 years later I'm ok with that. In 2019 my Panigale 1299 was pretty much a track & ECM bike. My new daily ride is a ktm 690 sumo.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts