Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new owner of a Sport Classic S1000s, and having been out of the Ducati loop for a while. I've been looking for some threads about what we will ALL need to do to our bikes over time but I'm not finding any. I'm thinking of things I remember doing for my old Monster.

go down one tooth on the front sprocket
get a billet clutch slave

maybe with the Sports Classics there are some things I've read/seen but not many

put your regulator on the outside
tubless'ify your wheels

Is there any interest on a stick thread talking about/linking to all this stuff? Basically a FAQ for our bikes :) Maybe there is one and I just can't see it, I've looked all over this screen!!!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
As a new owner of a Sport Classic S1000s, and having been out of the Ducati loop for a while. I've been looking for some threads about what we will ALL need to do to our bikes over time but I'm not finding any. I'm thinking of things I remember doing for my old Monster.

go down one tooth on the front sprocket
get a billet clutch slave

maybe with the Sports Classics there are some things I've read/seen but not many

put your regulator on the outside
tubless'ify your wheels

Is there any interest on a stick thread talking about/linking to all this stuff? Basically a FAQ for our bikes :) Maybe there is one and I just can't see it, I've looked all over this screen!!!
Long list to make it just so.

Here are some of the mods to make the bike function properly...

Lighter wheels. (I went with Forged Marchesini, 25LB weight saving from stock).
better suspensions front and rear, (I went with adjustable Showa in front from S4R and olhins rear)
better brakes (I went with RCS pumps and 4P calipers, left the rear alone)
steering damper (I went with olhins TMSD set up from WHASP, probably no longer available).
Airbox lid mod
Voltage RR, I wouldn't mount it on the outside, would just install a mosfet and never worry ever again.

Then there are the common problems such as the tank spreading, fuel line clamp, and the soft valve guides to keep an eye on.

You mentioned the clutch slave. after having gone Evoluzione many years I recently swapped to the Oberon and recommend that one.

And then you can bling the F out of it as you see fit.

have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
As DGJ said a couple of must's.. RR, mosfet the best, almost anything better that stock as it WILL fail. Tank will spread with e-10 fuel.. Everything else is subjective, ride the Pi$$ out of it and see what you need most. Suspension performance is lacking, light weight wheels/forks/shocks, do wonders in that order.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Before you rush into changing stuff based on what you've read here I'd recommend just riding it for a bit and judging what you like and what could be improved a bit. I'm sure lighter wheels will improve road handling but I find the wire wheels a big part of what I really like about the sc range so wouldn't consider swapping them.
The reg/rec thing seems to be a regular thing for the US but I haven't seen the same failures here in the U.K. So that is probably a temperature issue and if that doesn't affect you I wouldn't rush to spend.

There are a few budget elements that could be upgraded but I've learned to live with most of them and enjoyed my bike for what it is, I've had spare forks sitting in my garage for over three years but fitting them isn't much of a priority as I find my S a quite capable road bike, likewise the brakes, I fitted goldlines to my S2r and they're great but the softer sc brakes work well enough and you just adapt to them, they're still better than some of the Honda brakes I've used in the past.

Most of my mods have been cosmetic as the appearance is what drew me to the sc and has kept me keen on it, it's a fairly subjective thing though and opinions will vary on that.

After buying mine in 2008 the initial mod was to replace the clutch slave (I did the 14t swap before even riding it as I've done with all my previous four Ducati's), easing the lever pull and relieving the strain on the arms due to the fairly extreme stretched riding position, I knew I could remove the spacers to raise the clip ons but have not needed to after that.

Finding out what suits you is all part of the fun, hope you enjoy it as much as I have

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
You've come to the right place for all things Sport classic.

You do not have to put the RR on the outside
Running a cooler MOSFET RR you can keep it in.
If you do I have the kit that will put it out there
as well as two MOSFET inetnal RR's one with the stock length cable and one in longer for relocation
This is the kit I sell
You can make one yourself too

Alpina, Borrani or Kineo will keep the stock Spoke look

6º or 0º clip ons will help with comfort. (stock is 12º)
Lower seat and or lower Rear shock make the ride settled.
A slight lowering of the front too.

A wet Slipper clutch can make the bike easy to manage in down shift.

28mm Slave
We offer the Aella. The internals are like no other slaves out there.
the look is like no other as well

More conventional looking are these from Aella

14T front is an inexpensive way to give the bike better gearing
I have the 525 14T for around $30
If you spend more time in twisties then on highways
Consider the 14/41 gearing and convert to the 520 size for cheaper and lighter set up
We offer supersprox in Alum and steel.
The alum has a steel teeth and lifetime guarantee on the rear sprox
Comes in colors like Silver, Black, Red, Gold
Great kit prices
Chains in Gold, Black and Gray

I can do the internals for the front fork in Andreani or Ohlins
But if you are under 160# chances are you will not need it.
You can also rework the existing rear shock instead of buying new.
We can re-valve and improve the rear shock for less than Ohlins and get the same or better results. It can also be lowered a bit to settle the bike.

The damper can be upgraded to the Ohlins for under $500

There are more that can be done
Give me a shout if you need anything
Support your local Sport Classic Sponsor:)

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Talk to JC, the only thing that will be sorry is your bank account, LOL

Don't call JC, he's Ducati's equivalent of a drug dealer!

Once he gives you his excellent advice and you upgrade your ride with something from him it's really hard -- impossible, really -- to not go back to him for more product. My withdrawls are a sonofabitch!

:grin2:

·
Registered
270 Posts
So far my functional upgrades are;

S4R forks
Gearing change, though I went with 15/42 which is almost the same as 14/39 but gets the chain away from the swingarm a bit more and less wear from larger sprockets
Highly recommend the MOSFET R/R. I did mount mine outside to allow a bit more room under the seat for a couple of tools.
Termi 2 into 2 pipes with reflashed ECU
Airbox lid mod
GT upper triple clamp with standard mount bars, couldn't handle the clipons.
Hella 55/100w headlight bulb
Ducati comfort seat - one of the best seats I've ever owned
For the brakes I found EBC HH pads F&R with stock calipers/rotors offer enough braking for me

The things I still want to do;
Rework or replace the rear shocks
Smaller diameter clutch slave cylinder to reduce clutch pull

The rest is cosmetic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts