Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a carbon exhaust shield which doesn't fit. Could be the part, could be the bike. The bike has a 1/2 termi on it (or so I believe).

- Does the half termi come with the pipe that holds the heat shield?
- how can I check if it is a half system or full?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'd like to help you but you're sound vague there ...

Where did you get the Carbon Exhaust cover? Where exactly is not fitting?

To tell the difference between half system or full is hard to describe by words ... in any case... first make sure it's a real Termi .... look under the muffer, just above the rear tire... there should be an engraving that reads "For Racing Only" -- all after-market the Termis will have that. Check that first. Then will go from there... some detailed pics would help too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no psychics here? I couldn't find the engraving...I did however take your advice and shot a few pictures - what kind of exhaust do you guys think this is? It surely isn't straight from the factory - sounds way to good!

The carbon exhaust shield is from Shift-Tech. I have their fender and it fits great. They believe this fit problem with the shield could be from the aftermarket exhaust.

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yes, that is definately a Termi muffler. I don't know why it doesn't say "For Racing Use Only", but she's a Termi. As far as being a 1/2 system...you'll have to look up underneath the bike. Take the two screws out of the very bottom of the fairings so you can separate them and look up in there. You'll see the exhaust pipe running back right under the motor. About mid way, there will be a huge lump in the pipe and it will have a heat shield on it. If you have this, then it is not a 1/2 system. If you have this, that is the cat converter for the front cyl. But, that should still not have anything to do with your new heat shield not fitting. 1/2 system or stock pipe, the mounting bolts for the shield should be the same. Are you sure there's no way bend or manipulate it just right to get the holes to line up?? On my system that even came with a heat sheild, you had to hold the shield juuuussst right to get the holes aligned, then it worked like a champ. Not a bent angle or anything that would break it, just a funny kind of twist to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't own a 749/999 but I'm sure that is just a slip-on.... Looks pretty stock after the muffler meets the rest of the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
a 1/2 system would have that same look since one of the original pipes is retained and the other is identical to stock except for the removal of the cat.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think I might know what's wrong with that pipe. Where did you buy it? Was it on ebay?

A friend of mine bought a half system Termi for his 999. The damn thing kept having an exhaust leak. So, he tried to weld the thing together to stop having the leaks. Well, it didn't work so he ended up selling it. The welds and the pipe looks just like yours lol, except that you are missing the midpipe. I'm pretty sure whoever bought it, sold it to you w/o the right parts.

My friend ended up buying a full termi for his 999, which still leaks by the way. I just couldn't believe how much he paid for those pipe (twice), and the thing still has an exhaust leak, and it was a paint in the ass to install too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's definitely not a full system, so that possibility is eliminated. So at best, it's half system.

The outlets look correct on the muffler for a Termi can, and so does the carbon Termi exhaust cover...

Underneath the muffler, there are 4 allen bolts screwed-on that are normally not there on the Termi - They are usually left 4 open holes. I don't know why yours has the 4 allen bolts screwed on like that, or why it does not say "for racing use only" .... outside of that, the muffler looks right for a half-system.

The pipe that goes into the back side of the engine looks bone stock.

On the other pipe, you will have to do what galaxy suggested above to check to see if it is stock or not (remove fairing). If you don't find that area where the cat is located (lump) then that is an after-market pipe that indicates it's a half system.

In either case, whether that half-pipe is stock or from the half system... the Carbon Heel guard should fit correctly. As galaxy also mentioned, you might have to fiddle with it a little bit to make it fit right....

..... if the STOCK HEEL GUARD fit right (as you had pictured in your FIRST and FOURTH pic), and the Carbon Heel Guard you purchased really does not fit .... then the Carbon Heel Guard is defective and Shift Tech should send you a replacement (send them pics that you can fit on the stock heel guard without problems)

·
Registered
8 Posts
migz123 said:
Underneath the muffler, there are 4 allen bolts screwed-on that are normally not there on the Termi - They are usually left 4 open holes. I don't know why yours has the 4 allen bolts screwed on like that
The 4 allen bolts are screwed in to the holes that are designed for mounting the license plate bracket. It looks like whoever installed it removed the brackets that were there for the license plate, and put in the allen bolts to fill the holes.

As others have said, it is definately a half system at best, because there is no collector - which a full system would have.

I've attached a picture that shows the original pipe with the cat, and the termignoni pipe (half system). To show you where the catalytic converter is located.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
UndergroundLare said:
As others have said, it is definately a half system at best, because there is no collector - which a full system would have.

Ah! That's what happens when it has become a habit to remove the huge fender first before anything else! What the allen bolts were for becomes a distant memory ... hehe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks! You guys rock! Now I can tell a stock can from a termi :) I'm the one who put the four allen bolts in when I put the evo eliminator on. figured I would fill the holes - why not! Shift-Tech has been great, this is a new batch so maybe they are slightly off.

Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts