Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just the market? Is there no desire for a light, ~100 RWHP, simple-to-maintain, 2-vlv, air-cooled desmo, with smooth flowing lines? Or is Ducati just taking their time to perfect such a design? Must admit, I loved the Sport 1000S ...but the true cafe ergos, tubeless tires, and tank spreading stories, dissuaded me. Can one get 100 RWHP from a simple 2-vlv engine anyway?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
yes, if one has a large pocketbook.
I started with a '99 900SS, spent about $3500 on a 944 big-bore kit, heads porting and Power Commander. I got 95 RWHP; surely the 1000DS can do a little better. Depends on how you define "big money" - my 95 HP, 365# (all fluids except fuel) bike cost me about $20k, including the new bike purchase.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Is it just the market? Is there no desire for a light, ~100 RWHP, simple-to-maintain, 2-vlv, air-cooled desmo, with smooth flowing lines? Or is Ducati just taking their time to perfect such a design? Must admit, I loved the Sport 1000S ...but the true cafe ergos, tubeless tires, and tank spreading stories, dissuaded me. Can one get 100 RWHP from a simple 2-vlv engine anyway?
Boy, I couldn't agree with you more, but many think there is little/no demand for a bike like that.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
lets get creative!!!

come on guys .., we need to make our own bikes... I love the guy that's splicing a 999 and a supersport. That's a real man! I want the modern style on a bike too...( and KEEP my 95 CR too) but we have all rehashed this topic to death... put a 1000DS into a super-bike chassis and ease up the ergos some.. and Viola! or find a way to add a superbike fairing onto the SS and same...cheaper. We are all DUCATISTI... Create The bike you want!

Personally I think that is the coolest thing about the members here, when they collaborate and help each other to build these way cool machines.
Did anyone see the cool Hyper-Mon Strada on E-bay????:abduct:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008...ewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item45efc5c32a
this stuff is so much fun I wouldn't want the factory to do all the cool stuff that real bike guys can do

I'm not ripping on anyone here. I just love the guys that create their dream bikes from the raw material that Dr. T as already given us.

·
Registered
570 Posts
come on guys .., we need to make our own bikes... I love the guy that's splicing a 999 and a supersport. That's a real man! I want the modern style on a bike too...( and KEEP my 95 CR too) but we have all rehashed this topic to death... put a 1000DS into a super-bike chassis and ease up the ergos some.. and Viola! or find a way to add a superbike fairing onto the SS and same...cheaper. We are all DUCATISTI... Create The bike you want!

Personally I think that is the coolest thing about the members here, when they collaborate and help each other to build these way cool machines.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008...ewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item45efc5c32a
this stuff is so much fun I wouldn't want the factory to do all the cool stuff that real bike guys can do

I'm not ripping on anyone here. I just love the guys that create their dream bikes from the raw material that Dr. T as already given us.
If you love the custom stuff, from mild to wild, you should spend some time looking at the bikes on this site. http://www.duccutters.com/index.tpl

There's some really nice stuff, other stuff that I'll charitably say is not my taste on there.

Here's the project page, custom Ducati's everywhere. http://www.duccutters.com/projects.tpl?MXP1=b&MXP3=t&MXP4=SKU

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah, good call. If you want it, make it! If you want excusivity and satisfaction of riding your own creation, there is no other way to go. (I have not read Big Sid's Vincati but I assume it somehow relates to this - mating a Vincent and a Ducati)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Nice idea, building your own custom bike, but it takes a lot of time/effort/money to accomplish. I know, having built two custom Ducatis for myself (I still have one, my 900SS).

The other, less understood issue with doing this: the time required to make all those new pieces work in harmony - the development engineering that you get for "free" when you buy a factory bike.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Technically speaking, they still make the Supersport. The Sport 1000 in the current lineup uses the Supersport frame and the DS1000 engine. If you want to make a current Supersport then get the Sport 1000 with the short fairing and buy the lower fairing panels (still available but listed only for the Paul Smart 1000) and have them painted to match. You'll end up with all the modern features like fuel injection and decent suspension wrapped in some pretty sexy/classic bodywork. When it comes to building it yourself this is about as easy as it gets. And don't knock the tube-type wheels. They're far easier and cheaper to repair in case of flats from nails and such, and really don't present any running problems or issues. And heck, they also sport those classic good looks that spoke wheels should.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Technically speaking, they still make the Supersport. The Sport 1000 in the current lineup uses the Supersport frame and the DS1000 engine. If you want to make a current Supersport then get the Sport 1000 with the short fairing and buy the lower fairing panels (still available but listed only for the Paul Smart 1000) and have them painted to match. You'll end up with all the modern features like fuel injection and decent suspension wrapped in some pretty sexy/classic bodywork. When it comes to building it yourself this is about as easy as it gets. And don't knock the tube-type wheels. They're far easier and cheaper to repair in case of flats from nails and such, and really don't present any running problems or issues. And heck, they also sport those classic good looks that spoke wheels should.
1) It's no longer in the current lineup.

2) I don't think the frame is the same, and the suspension and brakes are certainly inferior to the SS1000DS.

3) The spoke wheels with tubes weigh a ton compared even to the heavy OEM cast aluminums that came on the SS.

Tom

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Sc Vs Ss

I have he GT same frame etc as the SC 1000 it is basically the same bike but with handle bars..... I LOVE MY GT .

I own a 95 900SS...... it is NOTHING like the GT/SC thing....

Love them both but it is night and day different

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sorry, the Sport Classics are not the replacements for the SS lineup, not for me, anyway. Too retro to look at and the spoke wheels/tube tires are a throwback as well. Tubeless tires are way less prone to flats; I know since my original bikes had tube tires and spoke wheels. Nice memories but I don't want to go back there now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not saying they're the replacement for the Supersports, only that if you start with a Sport 1000 and add the fairing lowers you can make a pretty cool retro-style Supersport. There are still a few leftovers out there to be had at decent prices as well as used ones that crop up with regularity. As with any Duc, the mods are endless so let your imagination run with it. Want better brakes? Add 'em. Want lighter wheels? There are lighter options out there. Relax all you nitpickers!

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have he GT same frame etc as the SC 1000 it is basically the same bike but with handle bars..... I LOVE MY GT .

I own a 95 900SS...... it is NOTHING like the GT/SC thing....

Love them both but it is night and day different
So, it is the same frame though as the '99 and up SS? That means all the SS parts should fit, or GT parts on a SS. :think:

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Not saying they're the replacement for the Supersports, only that if you start with a Sport 1000 and add the fairing lowers you can make a pretty cool retro-style Supersport. There are still a few leftovers out there to be had at decent prices as well as used ones that crop up with regularity. As with any Duc, the mods are endless so let your imagination run with it. Want better brakes? Add 'em. Want lighter wheels? There are lighter options out there. Relax all you nitpickers!
I've often thought that the SC's could be a starting point for a new SS. But, as some have pointed out the suspension is definitely inferior and tube tires are not easier to fix on the road. I've been there on I-40 in OK and plug and go is about as simple as it gets to fix a tubeless tire. It's not really nitpicking if, like me, you are inclined to jump on your bike and go right coast to left coast (or vice versa).

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
So, it is the same frame though as the '99 and up SS? That means all the SS parts should fit, or GT parts on a SS. :think:
No, the frames are as different as they could be,
nothing will fit, not the airbox, not the tank, check the upper
tubes beside the vertical cylinder head, they are on a totaly
different place with the sport classics, as with the mhe,
"above" the head, not "beside" as with the supersports.

the supersport carb and supersport EFI frames are pretty
much the same though, sport classic is pretty narrow beneath
the tank, seating position is somewhat higher.

:)

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I've often thought that the SC's could be a starting point for a new SS.(or vice versa).
The SS1000DS would be a good starting point for a new SS, frame is great,
swingarm is cool, engine is great, it would only need some newer forks,
brakes, wheels and bodywork.

but how long shall we talk about it.

:think:

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
but how long shall we talk about it.

:think:
i mean, if they found this guy to design the 1098, to capture
the spirit of the long gone 916, why can't they just hire anybody