Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not the street fighter, which is not selling to plan. The street fighter is a single purpose motorcycle, not comfortable, not a sport touring mount,
not a long range motorcycle and not for the novice.
The new Multistrada will appeal to so many riders including myself that would love a Ducati for the reasons that make it a Duc without the compromises. Many riders can not deal with the single purpose, focused race track bike, but love Ducati.

The 2010 Multistrada will without a doubt be the most successful motorcycle Ducati ever produced. It be be their best selling model ever and bike of the year in so many countries including the United States.
It offers everything you could possible want in a motorcycle.
On a personal note --- I think it is the most beautiful motorcycle I have ever seen.

I just can't understand someone who says they are going to wait for someone to buy one then hope they sell it to save a grand or 2.
I can't wait for my delivery. I probably have one of the first orders in the country confirmed with a 10% deposit by the Ducati factory.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'll keep my streetfighter and tuono for use as a touring bike, the new MS looks like a crossbred streetfighter/hyper/old multi and looks absolutely leave me flat. I also think personally it's overpriced.

I'm the same tho, I'd rather get and enjoy the bike then buy used a year or two later, plus I know how the miles were put on my bike, or car from new. But it's a good way to get a nice bike at a lower price and ducs always depreciate like mad.

Surprised you're the first person who's said the streetfighter hasn't sold well, my dealer sold all the ones he could get early on. but it is a tough climate for bikes, tho ducati seems to have weathered better than some of the other bike companies

Chris

It is not the street fighter, which is not selling to plan. The street fighter is a single purpose motorcycle, not comfortable, not a sport touring mount,
The new Multistrada will appeal to so many riders including myself that would love a Ducati for the reasons that make it a Duc without the compromises. Many riders can not deal with the single purpose, focused race track bike, but love Ducati.

The 2010 Multistrada will without a doubt be the most successful motorcycle Ducati ever produced. It be be their best selling model ever and bike of the year in so many countries including the United States.
On a personal note --- I think it is the most beautiful motorcycle I have ever seen.

I just can't understand someone who says they are going to wait for someone to buy one then hope they sell it to save a grand or 2.
I can't wait for my delivery. I probably have one of the first orders in the country confirmed with a 10% deposit by the Ducati factory.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not saying I will buy used, but if I buy it will be used. I'm too old to throw money at a first off without even having heard from a single rider, then try and sort the stuff that needs.

Bought the K12GT 2nd year used, but having a forum full of people already working on the problems, so I knew what I was getting into.

You would think the warranty and dealer would sort it, but that is not the way it works I found out. Not going there again!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
very passionate, a bit questionable, and the qualifier "successful" deserving definition or measure. the consumer's hidden wallet remains both the question and the answer, as does the macro economic picture. lots has to improve by spring 2010 for high priced motorcycles to start flying off the shelves. having said that, there are still plenty of able buyers out there, and the new Multi will be offered in a lower price version as well.

don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan (i have a deposit on one) and hope that it works out well for Ducati. :)

ps: for there to be used bikes, and lots of them, there have to many that many more purchased.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah, here in Northern California the Streetfighter seems to be selling like hot cakes, as the saying goes. Meanwhile, there are always going to be that small fraction of buyers who end up either financially regretting their purchase or being disenchanted with the bike after living with it for a short while. That small percentage exists for every model ever brought to market so it'll inevitably happen with the new Multistrada and will result in at least a few low-mileage Multis hitting the used bike market relatively quickly. Of course that wouldn't be my choice. I'd rather have one fresh off the showroom floor and enjoy every minute of ownership from mile 1. Some people are just nuts about saving every little penny though. I say live and ride for now and wring every moment of fun out of it. No one will care about how many dollars you saved buying used cars and bikes when you're dead and gone.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
I also think personally it's overpriced.
Chris
that is fair, but also worth looking at in a broader and comparative sense.

a 2009 BMW 1200GS with almost the same number of bells and whistles (ESA, ABS, heated grips, center stand, using mine as an example) retails for $18,500. it has a much smaller motor, no fancy carbon and lesser quality suspension components than those on the new MTS 1200. so, is $19,500 for the sport version all that much? not for me to decide. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Buying used does not necessarily mean that the PO did not like the bike.

In my case the GT was only months old, and 2000 miles, PO was very experienced rider. He had back problems with the ergos, PLUS, a new house to close on and needed to get rid of some credit.

The Tiger, again few months old and 2000 miles (seems to be a pattern here) PO young with wife and responsible job looking at starting a family.

Both loved the bikes and took very good care of them. But the market demands a used bike to go for much less than brand spanking new, simple fact.

If I had no bike and was looking, the new purchase would be very enticing, but I love the Tiger so have much time to digest the next purchase if any.

Can't wait for the forum to start buzzing with owners tho and RRs.

·
Registered
871 Posts

How many Ducati's have you owned? Sorry; however, based on your statements I think you are a little delusional.

What pleases someone in the way of esthetic's tends to be very subjective. IMO the Multi is a nice looking bike; although, there are many Ducati's that are better looking (both my bikes) :D There are many members of this forum that believe the bike is butt ugly, especially that nasty beak. Also, Ducati is charting new territory in the way of electronics, it remains to be seen how well they function and how reliable they will be.

"It will be their best selling model ever", Wow that's some statement. Are you involved in the marketing of motorcycles in some capacity?

True there are many that don't want a single purpose track bike, yet there are many that only want a single purpose track bike.

It's great that you purchased a new Multi and best of luck with the new bike but don't assume that everyone has the same taste as you in motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
The new Multistrada will appeal to so many riders including myself that would love a Ducati for the reasons that make it a Duc without the compromises.
Valle is engaging in an obsessive affirmation of an untested, untried and contentious motorcycle design that is often rapturously declared supreme by those subject to a religious conversion syndrome. I cannot imagine how the Multi 1200 can be described as having no compromises, given that it is to fulfill four motorcycle roles simultaneously. If Ducati manages to tap into the BMW GS-dual sport market, it may in fact be the best selling model Ducati ever introduced, but at this point we do not know if the new Multi will have the resilience in electronics and the maintenance schedule that makes the BMW to be practical but the Ducati so far not so.
Others have noted that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I beg to disagree. Few have described bikes that it imitates--the GS or the V-Strom--or the forthcoming Yamaha Super Tenere as beautiful. I am reminded that many ugly forms of architecture (Bauhaus, Stalinist-realist) were described in a similar manner by those either fixated on the concept or by those financially invested in their success, but these have not withstood the test of time. Similarly, ugly cars do not hold their value nor do ugly motorcycles precipitate the investment of funds long after their production runs conclude. Valle would appear to be either personally obsessed or financially invested, but, based on his own statements, I find his judgment to be sufficiently questionable as to require a measure of sober assessment he appears unable to provide.
So far, I have seen no reason to believe that the new Multistrada 1200 is anything other than a c/f pandering to the dual-sport crowd, which Ducati appears to have taken aim toward as its conquest of the year. I will observe it in the flesh when the NY motorcycle show happens next month. Until that moment, I would simply offer a dissenting voice from the available evidence.

Ron

·
Registered
126 Posts
What are you: -an English teacher?:D
Valle is spot on, but its a no-brainer. This will be Ducati's best seller by a long way:p

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a feeling there are lots of high techy types that used to ride BMWs or still riding and about to switch. BMW guys love the tech stuff, the more the better, ha ha.

I would like to see CC, but the suspension and ABS with DTC is pretty strong anyway. SSS, easily adaptable ajustable windscreen. Got to see one in person tho and ride beside someone with one.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What are you: -an English teacher?:D
Valle is spot on, but its a no-brainer. This will be Ducati's best seller by a long way:p
It would be wonderful for Ducati if it did become the best seller; however, I'm very skeptical that it will out sell the Monster.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I like the new Multi and may have one some day but it's not going to out sell the Monster and I'd be very surprised if it outsold the Superbikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An $18K-$20K motorcycle during the biggest recession in 80 years is going to be Ducati's best seller ever? I don't buy it.

Ducati started moving in the right direction when the 1098 was released. Nobody could believe that they were actually pricing them LOWER than the outgoing 999. They sold like hotcakes. Now, a lot of that is that most considered the looks much improved, but I think pricing the bikes realistically next to the Japanese competition was the real ticket.

Is it any surprise that their lowest-price bike, the Monster, is also their best selling?

Oh, and put me in the ugly camp. Not that it matters, though, as they all look the same from behind the handlebars anyway. Actually, I take it back. The bike actually would look nice if it lost the beak. I didn't mind it as much until I saw one in person and realized it's completely non-functional. If a part is there just for looks, why make it look so bad!? Anyway, the aftermarket's going to have a field day replacing those beaks.

Nice forum you all have here. Lurked a while, but finally got bored enough at work to post.

·
Registered
23 Posts
An $18K-$20K motorcycle during the biggest recession in 80 years is going to be Ducati's best seller ever? I don't buy it.

Ducati started moving in the right direction when the 1098 was released. Nobody could believe that they were actually pricing them LOWER than the outgoing 999. They sold like hotcakes. Now, a lot of that is that most considered the looks much improved, but I think pricing the bikes realistically next to the Japanese competition was the real ticket.

Is it any surprise that their lowest-price bike, the Monster, is also their best selling?

Oh, and put me in the ugly camp. Not that it matters, though, as they all look the same from behind the handlebars anyway. Actually, I take it back. The bike actually would look nice if it lost the beak. I didn't mind it as much until I saw one in person and realized it's completely non-functional. If a part is there just for looks, why make it look so bad!? Anyway, the aftermarket's going to have a field day replacing those beaks.

Nice forum you all have here. Lurked a while, but finally got bored enough at work to post.
The standard basic model is more than what any other mfg'er offers, marzocchi 50mm are used on the MV Agusta Brutale, has TDC and the 1198 with all its maps are standard for 15k. Show me a Ducati that was loved at first sight without acquiring an appreciation for its beauty after careful analysis of its blend of state of the art with art. And please dont bring up the 916 or I'll get the Pope after you.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The standard basic model is more than what any other mfg'er offers, marzocchi 50mm are used on the MV Agusta Brutale, has TDC and the 1198 with all its maps are standard for 15k. Show me a Ducati that was loved at first sight without acquiring an appreciation for its beauty after careful analysis of its blend of state of the art with art. And please dont bring up the 916 or I'll get the Pope after you.
THE 916

Geddy T - I know I've mentioned it in many posts now but I can't help but agree with you on that beak. I almost think Ducati designed it for the Penguin in the next Batman Movie. It's looks like a caricature bike you'd see in a comic book. It's difficult to take it seriously, hopefully you are correct and there will be many aftermarket options to come.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The funny thing is that I don't even really mind the look of the beak in a vacuum. If it served some great purpose, like increased intake length for resonance or something, I would say, "Alright, it's not the greatest looking thing, but it serves a purpose and I can respect that." But when I saw it in person and realized it's just a hollow part in front of an oil cooler? That it doesn't specifically route air anywhere and, in reality, probably gets in the way of the cooler and hurts its efficiency a litte?... That's when I had to scratch my head. I mean, ugly + functional = good, beautiful + non-functional = alright, ugly + non-functional = wtf?

Trust me, the aftermarket will be all over that. It's just not that complicated of a part to replace because it doesn't actually DO anything. Hell, just remove it altogether and the bike will work just as well--probably better, even, on a hot day.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
The bike actually would look nice if it lost the beak. I didn't mind it as much until I saw one in person and realized it's completely non-functional. If a part is there just for looks, why make it look so bad!? Anyway, the aftermarket's going to have a field day replacing those beaks.
maybe this will fit lol

ACERBIS SUPERMOTARD Front Fender

Be the first to review this product

Availability: In stock.
$29.95

* Add to Wishlist :D

Quick Overview
This universal fender can be used on Supermotard bikes for its aerodynamic looks and styling. Can be used also on older bike and freestyle or about anything. Fits most all bikes.:abduct:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fugly looking beaks, don't seem to have put a dent in BMW's GS series sales success. And people sure managed to get over the Hayabusa's rather "unique" styling, because the package just plain worked (understatement).

It's what this puppy ends up performing like, that'll either make it or break it.
I rather think, it'll do just fine... ;)

996DL

·
Registered
836 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the beak is required for high speed stability. So if you change it out, watchout over 120mph, you don't want to go there!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts