Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Duc dealer also happens to be an Ape dealer and had an Ape demo day yesterday. Got on the RSV4 RR and I must say I was thorougly impressed. Plenty of power and torque to go around, nimble and felt light. Getting on the throttle immediately produces an afterburner effect, like getting your arms pulled off their sockets. Now I cannot get it off my mind. Compared to my 1199R I'm quite impressed with the Ape. The only thing I didn't like were the very grabby and overly sensitive front brakes.

I'm still wary though. I swore off Aprilias after owning an '04 RSVR Factory, that thing had so many problems and told myself never again. Fuel pump issue, clutch required regular bleeding to find neutral, etc... And very bad support from the factory, parts took forever to get.

I've been riding Ducs ever since. Anybody on here also own an RSV4?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I talked to the service manager at my local dealer today about potentially picking up an Aprilia. He rides a Tuono RR which mechanically is pretty similar to the RSV, the only maintenance he's had to do in 9K miles is change the oil. Valves are due at 12K and he quoted me ~$1500-which does seem a little high. Apparently there's not a lot of room to work on the V4. These are dealer prices though, so an indy would presumably be less. With the 2016 Aprilia's being discounted so heavily right now, it's very tempting to make the switch.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to the service manager at my local dealer today about potentially picking up an Aprilia. He rides a Tuono RR which mechanically is pretty similar to the RSV, the only maintenance he's had to do in 9K miles is change the oil. Valves are due at 12K and he quoted me ~$1500-which does seem a little high. Apparently there's not a lot of room to work on the V4. These are dealer prices though, so an indy would presumably be less. With the 2016 Aprilia's being discounted so heavily right now, it's very tempting to make the switch.
I agree, good prices on leftover 2016's.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Anybody on here also own an RSV4?
I do. 24k miles and loving it! There's a member w/more than 50k miles and still running strong. The RSV4RR is the best bang for the buck superbike.

Look up Amauri in the Aprilia Forums, he's the God of Aprilia's. He's located in SoCal, charges very fair prices and does neurosurgeon level work.

I wouldn't buy new though, you'll get hosed. Either get a low mileage used or wait for their new RSV4; the current one is nearing the end of it's production cycle ~~ they've been out since 2010.

Btw on your test ride did you wind it out? Did you hear what 13k sounds like?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As with many things in life, patience may reward you if you are considering one. When Ducati comes out with their V4, I think you will be able to find many nice used Apes and Panigales for sale as guys trade up for the new Ducati.

Why the RSV4 does not really sell is somewhat of a mystery to me (although I have never bought one either). It should check all the boxes of a any potential buyer except perhaps dealer network and maybe brand cachet. It certainly now has the race pedigree too.

Anyway, as I learn about these bikes I would stay away from 2010. The upgrades starting in MY2011 do not cost that much more on the used market and reliability is reportedly better.

I resolved if I ever bought one it would only be a Factory, what they now call the RF. If you look around you can still find leftover 2016 RF with a $5000 discount from MSRP.

My personal favorite of the prior models was 2012 or 2013, black with the gold wheels. It really looks fantastic and I don't need even more horsepower of the current version. The RF does look fantastic other than the mulberry anodized wheels have to go (give me the red paint of the Tuono Factory wheels!).

And back to the Ducati V4, if the street version really is bigger than 1000cc I thunk this will put pressure on Aprilia to do the same for the RSV4 in the near future. From the Tuono we already know nearly 1100cc is possible in the current cases.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Put the 1199 front brakes on it and it won't have that initial grab/bite. I've stayed of the Ape and the RC8 on purpose b/c I knew I would be going back to school at the time and had just trashed my leathers, bike, and tires at the track and there is enough of expense there.

The last demo I got on was the 1000RR by the BMW folks back to back w/ the 1199. The 1000 was was nice and all, but not for me and I had to follow a salesman. At Ducati, I was told to return it before it ran out of gas. Sweet mother that was a fantastic demo. A 140mph+ stamp of approval. I'll get one one of these days.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do. 24k miles and loving it! There's a member w/more than 50k miles and still running strong. The RSV4RR is the best bang for the buck superbike.

Look up Amauri in the Aprilia Forums, he's the God of Aprilia's. He's located in SoCal, charges very fair prices and does neurosurgeon level work.

I wouldn't buy new though, you'll get hosed. Either get a low mileage used or wait for their new RSV4; the current one is nearing the end of it's production cycle ~~ they've been out since 2010.

Btw on your test ride did you wind it out? Did you hear what 13k sounds like?
yes, I've known Amauri since '04 he is definitely the Aprilia guru, I live in SoCal as well. He sorted out my '04 RSVR factory. And yes, I was able to twist the throttle past 13k on my test ride and it sounded amazing even with the stock exhaust. It is quite the bike.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why the RSV4 does not really sell is somewhat of a mystery to me (although I have never bought one either). It should check all the boxes of a any potential buyer except perhaps dealer network and maybe brand cachet. It certainly now has the race pedigree too.
I agree. Maybe it's the dealer network issues that's plagued the brand and the reliability issues with the models prior to the V4 coming out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts