Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
That’s exactly what I was thinking.

What I’m thinking here is I need an ignition relay (NAPA ar274?), the positive cable from starter relay to the battery and put a connector on the 2 red wires and connect those to a new battery. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

This battery box with this arm on the side looks different from all the rest that I’ve seen. No idea what goes on that bracket to the far right.

Thanks guys,
Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the same arm on my. 2000 996 and I also have no idea what it's for.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I live in Redding, ca, same city as the OP. I am guessing it sold so cheap because the nearest Ducati dealer is almost 3 hours away.
Most people in this town are not really familiar with Ducati or pretty much any motorcycles, its a back ass backwards meth head homeless haven.

I feel like I had seen that bike around town a few years ago. Did the Seller say how he wrecked it? Was he the one that wrecked it or did he buy it thinking he could fix it.

Not many Ducati's in this town so you rarely see them.

All I can say is it looks like you have a quite a handful of work ahead of you. If your patient you probably can find deals on parts you need.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That’s exactly what I was thinking.

What I’m thinking here is I need an ignition relay (NAPA ar274?), the positive cable from starter relay to the battery and put a connector on the 2 red wires and connect those to a new battery. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

This battery box with this arm on the side looks different from all the rest that I’ve seen. No idea what goes on that bracket to the far right.

Thanks guys,
Todd

if you make a list of what you need i have a lot stock parts sitting around for it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lol Lastblast, hey that’s my hometown you’re talking about!
yeah up here most people have no idea what to do with a Ducati.
I bought it from the guy who wrecked. Said it’s been sitting a couple years. Said him and buddy out riding, he came around a turn and buddy had stopped in middle of the road.
I’m looking at this thing and thinking it ain’t all that bad. I don’t have a single side bike lift so i rolled it outside, put in a higher gear and pushed it (gently), motor doesn’t seem locked up, compression out both cylinders.

Gary856, thank you. I’ll do that

Hey everyone, sorry been off for awhile. A little wildfire up here and hot and smoky as hell also.
So I pulled the clutch apart. Aside from the 2 broken studs on the hub looked ok. The push rod was kinda a pain but came out. I’ll replace the 2 o-rings since it’s out and the one from the clutch hub wasnt in there. Do I have to order the ducati part number or can I find a generic in town? And what are the spec’s (size) that I’d be looking for?

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
8,173 Posts
Looks like a doable Project. Ignition replacemnet is easy. Pull the tank and the airbox together with the injectors (gotta be done anyway) and its just two 8mm bolts (As I recall) and a Quick connector. No biggie. All pre-2003 ignitions will fit, even those off a Monster or an SS. Then just go with a no-key tankcap and your good.

The headlight.. I dont know.. I might actually get a race-style upper fairing and just cut the hole for the lowbeam.. Skip the highbeam alltogether..

My old crash wasnt worse then this and that was fixed in 2 long weekends. That even cracked the rear alu subframe.

Turned out great. Aftermarket screen and fairings from Ebay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like a great project!

eBay has some full lockets for under $50, or I am sure there is someone here who is selling one!

Will be interesting to see if it turns over when you have a switch on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hey, sorry been awhile. How difficult should it be to get the pushrod (clutch) out and back in. And it ate an o-ring when I pulled it back out
Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It should not bee difficult. It provides some resistance, but not difficult.

Lay it on a flat surface and give it a roll to make sure it is not bent. If it is bent let us know.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hey, sorry been awhile. How difficult should it be to get the pushrod (clutch) out and back in. And it ate an o-ring when I pulled it back out
Thanks
Todd
Hi Todd,
It should not have shredded the o-ring. The push rod goes through the transmission lay shaft to the throw out (push) bearing that resides in the pressure plate. There is another o-ring inside the "button" that rides on/in that bearing. If you remove the pressure plate the push rod should slide right out the clutch side with little or no fuss. If it does not, you may have an issue with alternator cover, clutch slave or something else on the opposite side.

I had to replace my alternator cover due to a derailed chain that damaged the cover. However, the clutch side also needed a good clean and new lube on the o-ring in the "lifter button" to get it where it slides in and out easily from the slave cylinder side. Hope this is of some help....sean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I’ll pull the basket and disks out tomorrow and see if i didn’t put something back right. Maybe get a better idea what it is hanging up on.
The rod seems to be straight. I took the remaining o ring off and rolled it across the table.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I’ll pull the basket and disks out tomorrow and see if i didn’t put something back right. Maybe get a better idea what it is hanging up on.
The rod seems to be straight. I took the remaining o ring off and rolled it across the table.

Technically speaking,, shouldn’t the clutch pushrod only be removed from the slave side?

Removal via the clutch side can cause damage to the pushrod o-rings ,, I’m sure that this is written somewhere

41 - 54 of 54 Posts