Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
$500.

just how did the owner purchase it so cheap that others didn't? could they have seen bent wheel,crooked fork,paint flaking at possible frame crease,etc.? scrap title? if only scrapes on the panels why didn't the owner keep it???

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
just how did the owner purchase it so cheap that others didn't? could they have seen bent wheel,crooked fork,paint flaking at possible frame crease,etc.? scrap title? if only scrapes on the panels why didn't the owner keep it???
Awww, let the OP have his fun. When I was in my 20's I bought shit like this all the time. By the time I was 35 my garage was FULL of semi-functional bikes which I could not afford to properly restore but that were just "too good a deal" to pass up. They all ran, but i could never score those $200 fairings off eBay that would turn a $500 bike into a $3500 bike, and they never sold for more than I had in them it seemed.

I ended up getting rid of all of them except two, some bikes were parted out but most of them went to guys with big dreams. Had a lot of fun, swore a lot, and learned a great deal about motorcycle mechanics along the way.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Awww, let the OP have his fun. When I was in my 20's I bought shit like this all the time. By the time I was 35 my garage was FULL of semi-functional bikes which I could not afford to properly restore but that were just "too good a deal" to pass up. They all ran, but i could never score those $200 fairings off eBay that would turn a $500 bike into a $3500 bike, and they never sold for more than I had in them it seemed.

I ended up getting rid of all of them except two, some bikes were parted out but most of them went to guys with big dreams. Had a lot of fun, swore a lot, and learned a great deal about motorcycle mechanics along the way.
This is too relatable :grin2:

I've had too many projects end up spending their lives on jackstands or pushed into corners to take on projects like this, and I'm only 29..

·
Registered
888 Posts
It can be done for less than $800. I am assuming that he does the labor.

Fairings $200 (It's easy to repair OEM rashed fairing from ebay)
Battery $80
Tank and fuel pump. $250
Grips $14
Used clutch hub, springs, retainers $60-75
Clutch cover $15 (optional)
Oil and filter $65
Brake lever $16

$715 with plenty to spare.

Minus the gas tank and fuel pump, it's a regular crash for a track day. Quite similar to my last one minus the tank and oil. I repaired the nose and side fairing and had a spare clutch cover. I was back in acceptable appearance and proper running condition for around $200.
Plus

- Headlight
- Windscreen
- Right foot peg
- Right turn signals
- Right CF air conveyor or pair of plastic for both sides
- Right air filter
- Right mirror
- Right upper fairing ear
- Front fender
- Throttle housing
- Locksmith to make ignition key or lock set with ignition
- Steering damper (looks bent)
- fasteners....

There is allot of potential damage which can't be seen. If the steering damper is bent, what condition are the mounting points in? Is the headlight bucket unfractured? Why is the front fender gone? Did the front end get tweaked? Are the wheels straight?

Either way $800 strike me as a bit optimistic...

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Plus

- Headlight
- Windscreen
- Right foot peg
- Right turn signals
- Right CF air conveyor or pair of plastic for both sides
- Right air filter
- Right mirror
- Right upper fairing ear
- Front fender
- Throttle housing
- Locksmith to make ignition key or lock set with ignition
- Steering damper (looks bent)
- fasteners....

There is allot of potential damage which can't be seen. If the steering damper is bent, what condition are the mounting points in? Is the headlight bucket unfractured? Why is the front fender gone? Did the front end get tweaked? Are the wheels straight?

Either way $800 strike me as a bit optimistic...
I said fix it, not make it mint.

- Headlight - Forgot about that.
- Windscreen - $25
- Right foot peg -$10 if it is unusable
- Right turn signals - unnecessary
- Right CF air conveyor or pair of plastic for both sides $45
- Right air filter -$35 a set
- Right mirror -$25 not necessary
- Right upper fairing ear - I don't know what that means. Right fairing and nose $200
- Front fender - Missed that $40
- Throttle housing - Missed that $40
- Locksmith to make ignition key or lock set with ignition $100 max
- Steering damper (looks bent) $20
- fasteners.... $15

I'll say $1k for overlooking those few items. $800 if he waited long enough for the some items. I'll stand by $800.
I got a full set of plastic with a pit of rash for $100. They look fine now. People like me will give a fender or clutch hub away for the price of shipping.

I am still less than $6k in a 1997 916, 3 engines, magnesium wheels, a few carbon bits, multiple crashes, 10+ rockers, 3 sets of fairing, 3 sets of rear sets, chains, multiple gears, 3 windshields, OEM clutch kit, Yoyodyne full aluminum clutch kit, sliders, soon a slipper, spare pistons and cylinders and a other spare essentials.

I am not bragging. That's stupid. But mentioning that you it can all be done inexpensively, have and still have a good looking well tuned bike. Granted, its nothing as gorgeous as a premier build, but it's for the track and crashing.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I said fix it, not make it mint.

- Headlight - Forgot about that.
- Windscreen - $25
- Right foot peg -$10 if it is unusable
- Right turn signals - unnecessary
- Right CF air conveyor or pair of plastic for both sides $45
- Right air filter -$35 a set
- Right mirror -$25 not necessary
- Right upper fairing ear - I don't know what that means. Right fairing and nose $200
- Front fender - Missed that $40
- Throttle housing - Missed that $40
- Locksmith to make ignition key or lock set with ignition $100 max
- Steering damper (looks bent) $20
- fasteners.... $15

I'll say $1k for overlooking those few items. $800 if he waited long enough for the some items. I'll stand by $800.
I got a full set of plastic with a pit of rash for $100. They look fine now. People like me will give a fender or clutch hub away for the price of shipping.

I am still less than $6k in a 1997 916, 3 engines, magnesium wheels, a few carbon bits, multiple crashes, 10+ rockers, 3 sets of fairing, 3 sets of rear sets, chains, multiple gears, 3 windshields, OEM clutch kit, Yoyodyne full aluminum clutch kit, sliders, soon a slipper, spare pistons and cylinders and a other spare essentials.

I am not bragging. That's stupid. But mentioning that you it can all be done inexpensively, have and still have a good looking well tuned bike. Granted, its nothing as gorgeous as a premier build, but it's for the track and crashing.
Ain't talking about mint at all. Ebay headlight sold auctions range from $350-500. I know a flashlight will do just fine.... we ain't talking about mint and we're somewhere around $1300-1500 assuming we can see everything from the pics posted. Even up close and personal, it is easy to miss things in my experience.

The fairing ear is the strut that comes off the headlight housing to support the upper back edge of the fairing and mirror.

Track bike makes sense.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, I don’t know if this will fuel the fire or what. Not trying to do that. Yes there’s quite a bit of little stuff. Not too worried about that. Take something off put a good one on. Repair some busted plastics if I want, I grew up in a bodyshop most of my 52 years. Yes, 52. If I get a rideable ducati with an initial cost of 500 bucks, that’s pretty cool. If the frame is tweaked or motor is gone, no big deal, pretty sure I can get my 500 bucks back out of it. Am I going to dump thousands into it, um no.
What I’m hoping to do now is find out if the frame/forks are straight, if the motor is still good and if transmission isn’t blown.
I thank you for pointing me in the right directions (ie pull the clutch cover, look for oil).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
It was a killer deal! I'll up it to $1,400 from you and I'll deal with the shipping.

The tank is manageable, but since you have the fuel pump, getting a good empty yellow tank will cost less than a proper repair. The Headlights are the cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, I’ve seen a couple headlights around the 300 mark.
1400, hm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you're happy to go with track bike initially, you could even skip the fairings, make it a long term restoration, over time you can restore it pretty cheap, just keep an eye on parts for sale here. And or keep this thread alive, you might get some gifts. If i was closer i'd give you a few bits. I can't stand seeing them parted out.

Or take up Namor's offer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haha, I don’t think a service history usually comes with a $500 bike no, no history so plan is to change out all the fluids and see what they look like, change belts, plugs and other wear items. Of course first have to determine if it’s worth any of that. Check to see if frame/forks are bent, engine isn’t toast and transmission isn’t scattered.

ZADSS nothing a little duct tape and chew in’ gum can’t fix🤪

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Looks good for the money. I'd definitely buy at that price but then, fairing panels aside, I've probably got most of the parts needed to put it right from previous upgrades/spares.

Good luck and keep us updated! :yeah:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Heck, I'd get it running straight and well, replace only what's necessary, but leave all the scrape and crunch marks. You're getting street cred without the concussion or broken bones! 'Look at that old fart's bike - he must be one bad ass mofo!' (I'm 65 y.o.) :)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts