Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New here.
So I bought this last week, needs a little work.

Came with no keys and pretty sure the battery had exploded. Anyways, can anyone help? This looks like an odd battery box. So, I want to repair the connections to the battery and somehow try to start it (ie hotwire it)

Thanks all,
Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s exactly what I was thinking.

What I’m thinking here is I need an ignition relay (NAPA ar274?), the positive cable from starter relay to the battery and put a connector on the 2 red wires and connect those to a new battery. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

This battery box with this arm on the side looks different from all the rest that I’ve seen. No idea what goes on that bracket to the far right.

Thanks guys,
Todd

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice find, i'm envious haha

Not sure about not havin the keys. Probably have to get an ignition w matching keys. Not sure if the 996 has the immobilizer bs.

Is the motor locked? If not, does it feel like it has compression when spinning the tire over in gear?

Tons of folks on here will be more helpful lol

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Sweet! That looks like it may turn out to be a very expensive $500 motorcycle. :)

The bracket on the right looks like the bracket Ducati uses for the charcoal canisters.

t_bare

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think I'd start that before doing some forensics first.
Agree. If you find something seriously wrong (bent frame, etc) you can always make it "display" bike for your living room or mancave. IMHO the 996 is one of the prettiest bikes ever made. I'm getting to the point where I can't handle the riding position, but would love to own one just to look at. Good luck!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
oil?

the oil sight glass is showing either no oil or its overfilled.ignition relay is atop the bat box.2 wire white plug in the middle of 2 terminals.year 2000 thats where its relocated due to charcoal canister on the r. side of the bat box.may want to pull that clutch cover so there is no interference & check if the clutch is OK.find a manual & read up if keeping it.could be a $$$ pit. good luck!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Looks to me like a hard right side hit which tore the battery and relays off. Clutch cover needs to be pulled off and the basket examined. The imprint of the clutch spring retainers on the cover means the engine stopped while the bike was sliding on the cover. The last thing I'd do is put a battery on the bike.

The first thing, I'd do is take the clutch cover off and make sure the engine is free.

The good news is the bike was probably not running while on its side......

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think you are going to end up with a part out bike. While $500 is nothing when you can sell the exhaust and wheels and make $ if you try to fix this up it’s going to be $$!!!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Was the clutch pack dry? Was there oil under the cover? Gotta figure out where the oil went. Pull the clutch hub (it needs to be replaced anyway) and give the housing and the clutch main shaft seal a very close look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No oil behind cover, clutch pack looks dry. When I got the bike I couldn’t tell by the oil sight glass whether there was any oil in it or not so drained and refilled with new filter. Oil looked to be a full load and actually looked pretty good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Was the clutch pack dry? Was there oil under the cover? Gotta figure out where the oil went. Pull the clutch hub (it needs to be replaced anyway) and give the housing and the clutch main shaft seal a very close look.

It’s probably on the side stand. That’s why oil isn’t showing in the glass.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It can be done for less than $800. I am assuming that he does the labor.

Fairings $200 (It's easy to repair OEM rashed fairing from ebay)
Battery $80
Tank and fuel pump. $250
Grips $14
Used clutch hub, springs, retainers $60-75
Clutch cover $15 (optional)
Oil and filter $65
Brake lever $16

$715 with plenty to spare.

Minus the gas tank and fuel pump, it's a regular crash for a track day. Quite similar to my last one minus the tank and oil. I repaired the nose and side fairing and had a spare clutch cover. I was back in acceptable appearance and proper running condition for around $200.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts