Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... liner. Any ideas how I get this back in the truck? :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
... liner. Any ideas how I get this back in the truck? :D

Dig a large hole in the ground under the liner and back the trunk into the hole under the liner. :D

Of course you could always just remove the bikes from the liner and then put the liner back in the truck and push the bikes up a ramp into the back of the truck. That would make too much sense though.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dig a large hole in the ground under the liner and back the trunk into the hole under the liner. :D
I was thinking forklift. Or maybe some crude scaffolding device and lots of pulleys.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love the suggestions guys...

In all seriousness though, I wanted something easy and secure for toting the toys around. I went with this guy with two of the cradle chocks but it requires removing the truck bed liner (or modification to it) for it to work. So I took the liner out and figured it would be a good chance to see if two bikes would actually fit in the bed. Turns out they do. Woohoo!

http://www.discountramps.com/truck-wheel-chock.htm

·
Registered
545 Posts
Have you considered a Baxley sport chock? Those things are awesome and you can take them from the garage, to the truck to the race paddock easily. They're great for towing and great for hot trackdays. And keeping your bike stable in the garage.

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
Lots of options out there ,skys the limit along with storage space and your wallet. Ramps the longer the better .Truck box , 6'- 6 " ... Hyper = 7' length,,, tail gate down.

Those box liners seem to be a good idea but when they are removed , lots of paint rub off...I took mine off when truck was new and put lots of Electrical tape (shop where you work right) where it seemed to be rubbing and re installed the bed liner..

Truck being 4x4 is very high , ramps too short ....solution a small 4'X7' expandable trailer ...Bought on sale for around $700.plus tax Canadian...

Trailer is definately Flimsly so wiith a couple af tubes of silicone to seal the seems and a SS bracket to secure the fenders ,some 13 inch tires, Got two 12" spares ,(WHO HAS TIRE TROUBLE ANYWAYS) ... a sheet of 1/4" plywood for the bottom a spare tire holder,
A trip to the Truckers store for some Quality ratchet straps and 4 really soft chockers that are rated for 800 lbs each ...
Next step is to get some small bolts to replace most of those rivets that will inevetably loosen up ...

Maybe I should have bought a better trailer to start with but it seeemed a good deal at the time ....Got to use what you got and make the best of it .. Good to go and can be used for other purposes and now I don't have to go borrow a friends with all that hassel and inconvienience...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Where would be the proper/ideal places to put the straps on the hyper to secure it in the back of a truck ? Also, how many straps do you think would be best to use ? I hear some say to compress the forks and others say too much compress could/can mess the forks up, true ?

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I run soft ties off the bars and tie downs from those to the hooks in the truck bed. You will not hurt the suspension by compressing the forks unless you leave it tied in there for a long long time. I've been hauling assorted bikes over hundreds of thousands of miles for the last 25 years and have yet to have a fork seal blow - nor have I have a bike fall over.

That being said - I did buy a Pit Bull trailer restraint for the hyper and absolutely love it. No tie downs needed at all and much quicker to load the bike.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Line-X and Arma Coating look a lot cleaner after install than the Rhino liner. Nothing wrong with the Rhino liner, I just prefer the former. They are nice and are not thick and conform directly to the shape of the bed, so installing accessories is not a problem.

Out!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Where would be the proper/ideal places to put the straps on the hyper to secure it in the back of a truck ? Also, how many straps do you think would be best to use ? I hear some say to compress the forks and others say too much compress could/can mess the forks up, true ?
Hooks on handlebars (make sure you don't pinch any wires) and compress the forks a bit, but not all the way. If you stop for any length of time or leave the bike in the truck overnight, just release the tension on the forks. Don't forget to retighten.

I strongly recommend against the Canyon Dancer type of tie downs that go over the grips. They can strip the grips from the bars. Don't think they'd even work on this bike with the hand guards.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What you need is a good flood!
Funny that you mention it. My driveway is actually the lowest spot on the block and has been know to flood. If The Niño is coming again this year, I may just have my solution.

...I do have ramps by the way. Once I get my rack I'll load the bikes, strap em down and take some shots for all to see.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, would a bike be safe in the back of a truck, not chock, just tied down ?
Just curious if the tires could slide out from under ?
Haven't tried in my truck yet (just got it) but I've moved bikes a couple times in a friend's cargo van without a chock. I used tie downs anchored to each of 4 points on the van's floor and the things never budged. Chocks make things easier, especially if you're doing it alone, but aren't necessary.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If you're tying the bike down anyway, the only purpose for the chock is to keep the front tire from turning. This is only an issue if you only tie the front of the bike with two tie downs. For any bike above 300lbs, it's best to use two more tie downs for the rear as well. With four tie downs, tied high on the bike and splayed wide into the bed of the truck, the front tire can turn anyway it wants and the bike will stay put.

Also, I see lot of folks think that tying the bike forward with the front tie downs and backward for the rear tie downs is the way to go. That's wrong. For best results, run the tie downs perpendicular to the direction of the bike. A little forward or rearward (respectively) isn't bad but refrain from going too far.

"No up down, side side"

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts