Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....found this tidbit: "It’s difficult to pigeonhole the Ducati 1000SS. It’s definitely not a sports motorcycle, but it's not comfortable enough to tour on either. It’s hugely charming too but not really the sort of motorcycle to thrash down a country lane. Best not to worry about all that and simply revel in the Ducati's easy handling, V-twin soundtrack and retro looks."

Source
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ducati/1000ss/2002/

"It's definitely not a sports motorcycle......" Huh? WTF? What say you?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
That review was from 2006 - the sportbike world was in peak R1 and CBR1000 mode with razer sharp handling and wicked fast 16000 RPM redlines at 140 HP. The 1000DS redlines at half that, and makes 40 less HP to boot.

At that time we were also entering the new era of touring bikes with the 2nd generation BMW GS and the whole new segment it created with almost every manufacturer joining in - the SUV's of the motorcycle world.

So - not fast enough to be a true sport bike, and not comfy enough to be a true tourer. This where Supersport has been since the late 80's and the advent of the water cooled 4V Ducati superbikes, and right where it is today too.

I generally classify it as an "all day sport bike," or an "8 hour bike" or a "300 mile bike." Real street riders understand the value of the area under the torque curve. There isn't enough room to pin the speedometer between the corners where I live, instead I like to whack the throttle open and pull out of corners like a freight train. That may be why Ducati's sell so well in the Pacific Northwest and New England.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I remember reading that article back in my 'early' SS days, I later found this article that offset it for me and is my go-to feel-good article about my SS:

Ducati 1000 DS

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
It’s unfortunate, but most , if not all, road test send up being a comparison between the bike being tested and whatever the tester thinks is the benchmark. Since the testers ride doctored up test bikes from the manufacturers, and they in turn buy ad copy, the bias is built in. Even if the testers wanted to be honest and fair, their existence is hinged on who buys ad copy.

Reactions: beemerboy

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
To understand these bikes you need to release them onto slow twisty roads, the kind of roads that will kill any modern superbike rider should they dare to try and hit the rev limiter even in 2nd gear, fortunately you need not care about any others opinions anymore, go find out for yourself what it's good for, you'll not win any big dick contests but you knew that, right.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To understand these bikes you need to release them onto slow twisty roads, the kind of roads that will kill any modern superbike rider should they dare to try and hit the rev limiter even in 2nd gear, fortunately you need not care about any others opinions anymore, go find out for yourself what it's good for, you'll not win any big dick contests but you knew that, right.
Written perfectly, your response is (insert Master Yoda voice in those words). If I had feelings of phallic inadequacy, I'd have bought a Harley and wouldn't be posting on this site.

I simply wanted to rattle some cages here and get some responses to what otherwise is the opinion of some panty-wasted moto journalist who most likely hangs out in Starbucks musing about the shortcomings of various brands. He probably still lives in his parents' basement.

Putz. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
You’ve seen the comparison tests, it’s all about the numbers. The skill to ride most of these bikes near their limits is only possessed by a limited few. The rest of us need a bike that does everything well without the razor honed skills of people who do it for a living. An SS will handle pretty well when set up right. It has a fat torque curve that makes gear selection less critical. Enough power to keep it entertaining. It has classic styling. It won’t break the bank. Those of us that don’t get free motorcycles to ride love them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would love to have a new V4. The reality is why? I am not on the track and if I were I would use my 900/1000ds or even go smaller. The SS is more than enough for the twisty's I ride and the SS and SL both give me giggles when I ride. I can out ride most of the squids that ride up and down the main street in packs. LOL

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
....found this tidbit: "It’s difficult to pigeonhole the Ducati 1000SS. It’s definitely not a sports motorcycle, but it's not comfortable enough to tour on either. It’s hugely charming too but not really the sort of motorcycle to thrash down a country lane. Best not to worry about all that and simply revel in the Ducati's easy handling, V-twin soundtrack and retro looks."

Source
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ducati/1000ss/2002/

"It's definitely not a sports motorcycle......" Huh? WTF? What say you?

MCN = motorcycling's Enquirer. The SS is (was?) a sports motorcycle. the argument that it's not for 'lack of power' is utterly moronic. using that line of thinking, only the LaFerrari is a sportscar while the 488 is not. or, the Porsche 918 came along and suddenly the 911 (whatever it's called nowadays) became a grocery getter (has been for decades, to me :wink2:).

Reactions: beemerboy

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you nailed it. Even at my weight the SS is quite powerful and more than capable of keeping up in the twisties. Besides, I like owning bikes that you don't often see and the SS definitely fits that bill. Besides, bikes of the Asian persuasion are so dull and routine.....and don't even get me started on the MoCo scooters..

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
I don’t ride with anyone my SS couldn’t keep up with if I wanted to. It’s also a situation where I feel comfortable keeping up, that the bike is capable of keeping up, without me feeling as if I’m pushing it too hard. My SS is happy going whatever speed I like, as long as i don’t go too slow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts