Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting for it to show up, but I'm just looking for advice on what I should support this mod with. I've seen threads reporting issues of lean running. It is a bit of a concern for me as mine is bone stock performance-wise at this point and I'll see 215-230+ degrees putting through my neighborhood following 20 minutes of highway commute (It is going to be 108 here today, though).

I've seen the Fat Duc, just not sure about its capabilities at less than 100 bucks. I'm sure it won't have the freedom of tuning that a 300+ dollar Nemesis, etc. will, but should it be good enough for somebody who mostly commutes with about 2 canyon days thrown in per month? And more importantly, will it take of that initial off-throttle snatch when I'm cracking it back open mid-corner?

Next question: Installation and fingerprints. What's the best way to keep them from being burnt into the pipes? Install the pipes wearing rubber or other gloves? Wipe the whole system down with rubbing alcohol prior to first startup? Both?

Any other things I might be missing and any additional input or advice would be greatly appreciated. And I can't wait to hear them....

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I suggest you get the O2Manipulator and install it at the same time. You won't like the way it runs without it. Like you said, it's not the same as a full ECU replacement but it works very well.

After installing the system, or washing, I just wipe it down with a very light coat of WD40.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I'm not sure about the s2r 1000, does it have a closed loop system? If so, the full Arrow will have a bung for the lambda sensor so you won't need anything to smoth it out; I had a s4rs and put on a full Arrow system, not a worry in the world, just adjusted the fueling a bit and voila'!
It ran like never before!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is supposed to be here today....counting down to 5 so I can leave work and tear open that box like a Christmas present. :D

·
19,072 Posts
It is supposed to be here today....counting down to 5 so I can leave work and tear open that box like a Christmas present. :D
Don't be too surprised when you see how many pieces it come in :)

Did you order the CF or Ti silencers?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't be too surprised when you see how many pieces it come in :)

Did you order the CF or Ti silencers?
Titanium of course....

My old bike, Ti Two Brothers slip-on. Not skimping this time....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Make sure you polish the stainless before you install it, it will pay at the end!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's here.....

Pics for those interested. Check out that weld on the end cap. Gorgeous...

And for those in the know, a quick question.

I slipped all the pipe joints together and everything fit up nicely. But, I couldn't get the mid-pipe to fit into either silencer....seems like a tight fit. I boxed everything back up hoping to get to it this weekend. Is this joint only going to happen after I apply the copper grease to it? I'm a little concerned....

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yor're not going to find anything that nice on a Termignoni, that's for sure!

[/QUOTE] And for those in the know, a quick question.

I slipped all the pipe joints together and everything fit up nicely. But, I couldn't get the mid-pipe to fit into either silencer....seems like a tight fit. I boxed everything back up hoping to get to it this weekend. Is this joint only going to happen after I apply the copper grease to it? I'm a little concerned....

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Don't be, you just have to work it, their precision is almost too meticulous, it will be easier to slip the cans when the whole system is on, you can't judge by holding one in one hand and the mid pipe in the other.
Everything is tight for a reason; just don't be alarmed when the bike runs a bit leaner than usual, (whitening at the end of the cans, popping with the engine brake type of thing), just have the mixture reset and it won't need a thing! Oh, and get rid of those baffles if you want to hear a true Arrow!
Congratulations!

·
19,072 Posts

And for those in the know, a quick question.

Thanks.
On mine all the joints were a very tight fit. I had one joint, the front to mid pipe, that just wouldn't go on until I polished the area with a Dremal. Just be sure to fit the silencers seperatly before bolting them to the hanger or you'll never get them on. Have fun.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does that arrow system retain the stock pipe routing or does it go under the engine similar to the Termi full system?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put it on last night, and everything went pretty smoothly except for a couple of stumbles. Getting those rear cylinder flange retaining nuts back on (especially the right side one) was a huge pain in the ass. The damn shock linkage is like 3/4" from the end of the stud and I had to turn the nut with a wrench 1/8 turn at a time to get it mounted.

The oxygen sensor is another concern. I had to completely pull that harness wire out of the way it is factory routed to get the sensor to reach the bung at the mid-pipe. I'm a little concerned because the only way I could route it and get the ends to reach takes the wire basically through the middle of the rear cylinder piping. I bought some aluminum tape to wrap the wiring with as a peace-of-mind measure. Any insight on this from anybody who has theirs installed? And does the Fat Duc eliminate the O2 sensor, or is it a "go between" that modifies the signals being sent by the factory sensor?

Other than that, it's fantastic. I love the sound, and I haven't even pulled the baffles out yet (no circlip pliers). I'm sure this thing is already neighbor-aggravatingly loud as it is. I'm almost concerned that taking the baffles out will make them rider-aggravatingly loud (perish the thought!).

Does that arrow system retain the stock pipe routing or does it go under the engine similar to the Termi full system?
I don't know how the Termi full system is routed, but the front headpipe pretty much follows the stock routing. The rear head pipe does some extra twisting, but it's in the area where the colostomy bag used to take up residence. An added observation: The new midpipes seem to give a bit of extra clearance for my heel, much appreciated.

Pics coming soon!

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
As a Termi man, I'd like to see your Arrows on your bike as well as a soundclip.

Inquiring minds gotta know...:D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics of the routing and the goodness.

Also of the tightly stretched O2 sensor wire prior to me wrapping it in the previously mentioned aluminum tape. PM me for high-res versions.

Attachments

·
19,072 Posts
I ran the O2 sensor wire up between the engine and swingarm. If you install the FatDuck it splices into the wire and adds about 8" or so to the length making it easier to route.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I almost forgot to mention....big recommendation for gearitalia.com

Their price for the full system was $1170 shipped! About 200 less than anywhere else, and it was here in less than 3 days.

Check them out.

·
19,072 Posts
I almost forgot to mention....big recommendation for gearitalia.com

Their price for the full system was $1170 shipped! About 200 less than anywhere else, and it was here in less than 3 days.

Check them out.
Same here. I got the pipes and an Arrow Ti steering damper for what some places wanted just for the pipe.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright guys, final pictures and a few video clips.

During the install, out of the udder

Baffles in

Baffles out

I pulled the baffles yesterday and that is definitely offensively loud, would absolutely give me a headache without earplugs in. So, those are probably going to go back in next weekend after I get some respectable spring clip pliers (The Harbor Freight pair I picked up for 3 bucks sucked and broke after getting the first one out. Shocker....)

Some final pics of the baffles before/during/after showing how restrictive those things actually are. Three sets of three 3/8" holes is all the exhaust has to flow through in each pipe with them in. Kinda wonder if that cuts power compared to the stock system....

Also have a couple pics of the routing of that troublesome O2 sensor line, now wrapped in the aluminum tape. I wrapped up just the section going through the exhaust routing initially, and then after a couple rides, noticed that the outer sheath was starting to melt a bit where the line runs along the engine case. So now I've got it wrapped all the way up past the kickstand.

And finally, some pics of my "finished" bike in current form. Comments are welcomed and appreciated. Mods thus far: Charcoal canister removal, front reflector removal, DML license plate bracket, eBay bar end mirrors, and the Arrow full system.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts