Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sweeping left at MSR Houston going around 90. I was entering the turn and the handlebars started to wobble like crazy...I kept drifting wider and wider, so I stood it up and ran off the track. Once I ran off into the grass, my bike fell on top of my left leg on the left side and somehow ended up on the right side.

Results:
Both rearview mirrors snapped off
Broken gearshift lever
Broken Left headlight housing
Broken Left hand switch

FYI, GET FRAME SLIDERS...THEY WORK!!! :D

Not too bad considering a low side at 90. I DON'T HAVE PICS...SORRY!!!

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't figure it out...!

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
that sucks balls!.. so sorry to hear.

I have gotten a wobbly head a few times going into corners aggressively when my balance is too far back on the bike.

in fact, performance wise, if I had to criticize anything it would be that it's harder to lean forward enough to stabilize the bike in certain riding conditions, and this is not helped by the jumpy throttle around 3500 rpms (I still haven't gotten the bike reflashed).
I found out everything I've just said because I became more consious about my forward balance when wearing my backpack because it has rear weight AND it has two straps with rubber coated tips that flap in the wind and leave little rubber marks on the tank. so I sit more upright to keep the marks from happening.. and I found out all this about the wobbly corners and such.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear it but glad you seem to be OK.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I hope your OK? Give a call or email if there is anything I can do to help.

Good to hear the frame sliders worked, who's were they, Motovation? Crash dynamics are a strange thing you really never know which way you or the bike are going. Over years I've had too many head scratchers on "how did that happen?" Don't beat yourself up over it...

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I'll bet it has to do with the non adjustable steering dampener.
Also wider bars could cause it too.
I'm glad you're fine, the rest can always be replaced!

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm ok...my leg is bruised, but nothing is broken. I feel like I got whip lash this morning in my neck, but some rest and some Motrin and I'll be good as new.

Vito, thanks! The bike is at the shop if you want to take a look at it. They were Motovation sliders. Damage to the bike really was minimal though...

I'm just going to fix it up and take that sucker right back out to the track...! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
So we can all learn from it, can you tell us about the corner and remember what you were doing with the throttle, revs, and brake?

I disagree with the previous post; you should definitely try to figure out what you were doing else your confidence will plummet on the track and that corner, specifically.

I'm not the guy to figure out what went wrong, btw--still a novice/intermediate on the track--but I'll bet some of the other guys on the board could help work out what might have been the cause.

PS--pm me with contact info--I might want to join you at the track. I also go to Harris Hill road as often as possible.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I disagree with the previous post; you should definitely try to figure out what you were doing else your confidence will plummet on the track and that corner, specifically

If that is directed to me, let me clarify, I didn't say don't figure it out, I said "Don't beat yourself up over it..." No expert here (or even a great novice) I did trackdays for 9 years and raced plus 6 years, definitely try to figure it out, sometimes you just aren’t going to figure it out. It’s like QTip said “take that sucker right back out to the track...!”

My only real recommendation to anyone is if you want to get better find some quality instruction and practice.

I'll swing by the shop and take a look. Glad your OK! :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
If that is directed to me, let me clarify, I didn't say don't figure it out, I said "Don't beat yourself up over it..." No expert here (or even a great novice) I did trackdays for 9 years and raced plus 6 years, definitely try to figure it out, sometimes you just aren’t going to figure it out. It’s like QTip said “take that sucker right back out to the track...!”

My only real recommendation to anyone is if you want to get better find some quality instruction and practice.

I'll swing by the shop and take a look. Glad your OK! :)
Yes, it was (mis)directed at you. Should have re-read your post more carefully, sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was about 110mph on the front straight at MSRH. I downshifted to 3rd gear before the turn (Carousel...a sweeping left). I was about 90mph when I entered the turn. Throttle was engaged, but was keeping my speed constant through the turn. About 1/4 of the way through the turn the handlebars started gyrating left to right and I was drifting towards the outside of the turn. I decided to stand the bike up and take it off the track...hoping to keep it up. I ended up crashing when I went into the grass.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Yes, it was (mis)directed at you. Should have re-read your post more carefully, sorry about that.
Thanks, and no apology required :) I see an Austin location we all need to hook up for a ride. That is if you let me come with my Hyper, no Streetfighter until I sell the RSV1000.

Nam,

I looked at your bike today. Looks like you got slowed down pretty good before the tipping over, Good Job! Sucks that the gas tank got scratched. Who was running the trackday, surprised that they let you go out with mirrors on?

It’s been years since I’ve been to MSR Houston is the Carousel the turn that seems to go forever, I thought it was a right? But what do I know or remember I got a pile of crashed helmets....

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I was about 110mph on the front straight at MSRH. I downshifted to 3rd gear before the turn (Carousel...a sweeping left). I was about 90mph when I entered the turn. Throttle was engaged, but was keeping my speed constant through the turn. About 1/4 of the way through the turn the handlebars started gyrating left to right and I was drifting towards the outside of the turn. I decided to stand the bike up and take it off the track...hoping to keep it up. I ended up crashing when I went into the grass.
I guess a good dampener would have avoided the headshake, am I wrong?
I'm not crazy about the one they give you at all.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Motowheels...

I guess a good dampener would have avoided the headshake, am I wrong?
I'm not crazy about the one they give you at all.
Has an Ohlins kit for the SF. Check out the Motowheels project bike thread...

Just to add my 2 cents... This bike is twitchy, experience has tought me to keep a loose grip on the bars. On a windy day behind a semi, things can become hair raising.

I've been considering an Ohlins adjustible dampner as an upgrade. I had one on my 900rr and it transformed the bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts