Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my racing partners, Tomasz, has decided that he wants to race Pikes Peak on his 07 R1. We've been planning this for over 8 months.

But, there is more to it. We are making a documentary movie out of it.

THIS Friday, we are leaving to head out to Colorado. To help, we started a Kickstarter Campaign. We are over half of what we are asking for, but we are also close.

All I am asking, if simply for you to look at our videos we've done so far, our website, and the video's on the Facebook page. If anything, spread the word, share the page, we welcome all 'Likes' and encouragement.

Thank you all for viewing this. I cannot tell you how exciting this will be, but more importantly the end result with the movie.

https://www.facebook.com/theracetotheclouds?fref=ts

Race To The Clouds - Documentary

And for the Kickstarter Campaign, thank you for considering any contributions! Race To The Clouds by Tomasz Gombos — Kickstarter

Sincerely,

Price Allen

·
Bon Vivant
10,487 Posts
I was sitting in a restaurant in Woodland Park yesterday watching a blizzard decimate the top half of Pikes.

Be very careful, the air is thin at the top and the mountain has it's own eco-system/weather system, it can and will snow in August at the top.

Make sure your bike's ECU map will adjust at 14,000 feet. When the ECU sees an altitude it cannot calculate it will default to sea-level and your bike will shut down with no air.
I've run into this several times on different bikes with different ECU's. You have to fill in the cells on the map to a much higher value.
It may be good to test this before the race.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, don't worry about your concerns! Believe me, we had a very long talk just how dangerous this is. I would never do it, most my racing buds would never do it, but he wants to. And he is fast. Very fast.

He's been walking along trails by his house for the last couple of months wearing an altitude mask, to severely limit the air he can breathe. I call him Bane, and that he is going to kill The Batman.

The racing STARTS at 9k feet, and ends at 15k feet. We are doing a double program on his Bazzaaz, one for 9k-12k feet, and the 2nd flip chip from 12k-15k feet.

That is UP there. For sure. I've jumped out of airplanes at only 13k feet.

Lately, my main concern was watching the news to make sure we don't become beef jerky with all the forest fires going on, but they said it won't be a factor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
you might already be over the tree line at 9k feet, forest fires should not be a problem up there, but getting up there might be.

Good luck. Will watch videos later from home, blocked @work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts