Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the call today, "your bike is here mate!" Yay... I rejoiced! Fudged out of work early, hired a driver to take me to the dealer (cause my friends aren't really my friends apparently) and got to the dealer. Went through the paperwork nonsense and off I went on my shiny new red baby. After about a mile the smile started to fade from my face as I acknowledged the fact that this bike had way more than the "flat spot" everyone is talking about. Mine was down right stumbling from clutch engagement to 4k. I tried to endure thinking maybe it was still cold but in the end I had to go back. After returning, one of the tech's rode it and he agreed. Apparently there is an issue with the throttle bodies having to be sync'd properly. The Ducati tech was actually there when I picked up mine. Sooo long story short I returned the bike, got the Monster 1100s loaner and I'll be back tomorrow night to pick up the bike all over again.

I sure hope its better the second time around.......

·
Registered
96 Posts
My SFS is going in tomorrow for the 1st service at 600 miles. I too will raise the issue of the flat spot. They originally mentioned that it could improve with break in. Maybe it has slightly. Idle is approx 1500rpm. My Termi mufflers show some exhaust staining that I'm not sure should be there if fueling was correct.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My SFS is going in tomorrow for the 1st service at 600 miles. I too will raise the issue of the flat spot. They originally mentioned that it could improve with break in. Maybe it has slightly. Idle is approx 1500rpm. My Termi mufflers show some exhaust staining that I'm not sure should be there if fueling was correct.
And what I don't get is I did not notice this at all when I demo'd the bike. It was a stock "s" and had no such flat spot at all. Also if you read the bike mag reviews they all said how great the fueling was! What gives?

·
Bon Vivant
11,417 Posts
Throttle bodies synced, TPS adjusted, it isn't going to fix it...
Hate to say it but Ducati really needs to step up to this and get these bikes fixed.
The fueling in the lower RPM is just shit and it's going to take a new map to fix it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
But I'd have to say when you're humming along at least 4k rpm some nice twisties.....there is no other bike like this one. I sure hope they can correct this niggling prob, I'd sure like to ride a smooth trouble free model.:(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine suffers the same problem! It's a real pain around town, or just as you open the throttle into a slow bend . Mine also coughed as I was turning at a junction, then it started revving up with the throttle closed. I gave the throttle a blip, and felt some resistance through the grip.
It hasn't done it again, but doesn't inspire confidence :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
I may as well take this opportunity to ask how the Monster 1100 compares seeing that I am considering changing my M1100 for the SF. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was the original poster of the 3500 flat spot thread. I went back to the dealer yesterday and asked to ride the test bike again as I did not recall having the same problem when I originally rode the bike compared to my bike.

There is no comparison to that bike and mine. That bike was a little sluggish in that range, but mine is almost like somebody tuned off the fuel. I have an appointment next week for the 600 mile service. I told the dealer that they had better not give me back the bike the way it is now. they need to check, the throttle bodies, injectors, TPS, etc. I told them if they do not inporove on the bike that I am going to complain to Ducati NA about them.
Ken

·
Registered
395 Posts
Shit, guys, all this is not good. I'm supposed to pick up my bike this week.
I'm going to forward this thread to my dealer and see what he’d say.
Did we all jump in too quickly with this bike?

·
Bon Vivant
11,417 Posts
The 1198s are doing the same thing, Ducati knows about the problem but so far nothing has been done to fix it.

I know I was a bit harsh and I think the situation deserves some harsh tone but don't let that stop you.
My bike is freakin kick-ass! The best nakid Ducati I've ever been on! Nimble quick, light and FUN!!!!

We will get them fueled right just stay with it and post up here when you get some positive results. We'll all get them worked out one way or another :abduct:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Shit, guys, all this is not good. I'm supposed to pick up my bike this week.
I'm going to forward this thread to my dealer and see what he’d say.
Come back in off the ledge. You will still love the bike. I do. I'm not happy about the issue but I feel it will be corrected some way. It will either be from Ducati or aftermarket product. Remember, not all of the bikes are the same. My dealers demo bibe is better than mine.
Ken

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think the only fix is to have a power commander fitted as well as the Termis with the new ECU. After running it on the dyno that should fix it. It is ridiculous that this may be the only solution... Any thoughts on this approach?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Come back in off the ledge. You will still love the bike. I do. I'm not happy about the issue but I feel it will be corrected some way. It will either be from Ducati or aftermarket product. Remember, not all of the bikes are the same. My dealers demo bibe is better than mine.
Ken
I'm calling bullshit on Ducati. Something is amis. How is it that all the demos seem to not suffer from this problem? It's not just a coincedence. Has anyone ridden a demo with this issue. I swear mine didnt even have a flat spot let alone stubbling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Anyone know if the issue exist if you do the full termi system? I have not gotten my bike yet but I pre-ordered the full system to be installed before pic up.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
I have only noticed the slight stumbling once or twice. Yeah, around 3800rpm. I have hit a flase neutral several times between 5th and 6th, though. It only tends to happen when I'm kinda cruising along. I might not be shifting positively enough. I mentioned it to the sales manager of my shop and he said his monster 1100S does the same thing regularly:eek:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My test ride on the demo felt like I had run out of gas at one point!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm calling bullshit on Ducati. Something is amis. How is it that all the demos seem to not suffer from this problem? It's not just a coincedence. Has anyone ridden a demo with this issue. I swear mine didnt even have a flat spot let alone stubbling.
I was there last night when you picked your bike up and dropped it back off. I bought the black S that was parked out back.

When I road my bike earlier that day, the stumble was REALLY bad. I usually don't worry about that kind of thing much, especially since the full Termi system will probably sort it out. But, after I got back I told them it was pretty bad. Louis took the bike into service and synced the throttle bodies and it made a big difference. A really big difference actually.

It's definitely not perfect yet, but now it's tolerable. It can certainly be better, but I'm hoping the pipes make the rest of the difference.

The upshot being I road the bike about 100 miles now and it's fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of the looks, but it's the exact type of bike I like to ride and it really works well. It's smooth, handles awesome, rides great and is way more comfortable than my R or Desmo. You'll be happy once you get some seat time.

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
I have only noticed the slight stumbling once or twice. Yeah, around 3800rpm. I have hit a flase neutral several times between 5th and 6th, though. It only tends to happen when I'm kinda cruising along. I might not be shifting positively enough. I mentioned it to the sales manager of my shop and he said his monster 1100S does the same thing regularly:eek:
I was the same way...mine stumbled a little bit at those low RPMs, but it wasn't extremely noticable.

I also hit a false neutral between 5th and 6th too. Only once though...hmmm...

·
Registered
132 Posts
What would probably be productive is to have owners start chiming in (probably in a new thread) stating:

- Which Streetfighter model they have (standard or S)
- Stock exhaust and ECU or Termis with the performance ECU

It would be nice to be able to figure out if all owners are affected or just some. And whether adding the Termis with the performance ECU makes the problem go away, get better, or no change.

- jamie

1 - 20 of 45 Posts