Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a request. In getting to know my new to me 1995 900ss I've discovered its missing the snorkels that should be installed on the airbox lid. I'd like to keep this bike as stock as possible so the missing snorkels are bugging the heck out of me.

From what I've read on this forum (great source btw) its common to modify/remove the stock lid and re-jet for a bit more power. Would anyone who has done this be willing to part with their original snorkels?

Cheers

·
Registered
190 Posts
Where do you live? I did the Power Barn FCR41 flat slide conversion and chopped off the top of my airbox. You can have the snorkels.

I travel a lot for a living so there is a chance I will end up in your country sooner or later. I also get discount courier so could send to you. PM me.

Reactions: Punch

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Hey, I have a request. In getting to know my new to me 1995 900ss I've discovered its missing the snorkels that should be installed on the airbox lid. I'd like to keep this bike as stock as possible so the missing snorkels are bugging the heck out of me.

From what I've read on this forum (great source btw) its common to modify/remove the stock lid and re-jet for a bit more power. Would anyone who has done this be willing to part with their original snorkels?

Cheers
Just be aware that those snorkels are horribly restrictive to the intake air flow. Removing the snorkels, but leaving the airbox lid on is a compromise between improved performance vs increased intake noise. The lid reduces the intake noise by quite a bit (compared to completely removed), while removing the snorkels still allows the engine to breathe properly. The snorkels were fitted primarily to reduce engine intake noise to allow the bikes to pass the EU noise regulations of the time (which is why they were also geared so tall from stock - so that at 100kph, they were barely past idle in top gear).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just be aware that those snorkels are horribly restrictive to the intake air flow. Removing the snorkels, but leaving the airbox lid on is a compromise between improved performance vs increased intake noise. The lid reduces the intake noise by quite a bit (compared to completely removed), while removing the snorkels still allows the engine to breathe properly. The snorkels were fitted primarily to reduce engine intake noise to allow the bikes to pass the EU noise regulations of the time (which is why they were also geared so tall from stock - so that at 100kph, they were barely past idle in top gear).
Understood, thanks. Like I mentioned I'm kind of going for a semi-restoration with this bike so I'm trying to source out the various missing bits and bobs as I find them.

Cheers

·
Registered
190 Posts
Where do you live? I did the Power Barn FCR41 flat slide conversion and chopped off the top of my airbox. You can have the snorkels.
I’m quoting myself here... Massive public apology to Jetta03. I thought I still had mine but it turns out I binned the chopped airbox lid along with the snorkels, due to lack of storage space and no foreseen need for them. Not much of a market here for them here either, since my bike is the only one of its kind in the country! Sorry Jetta03. Would have loved to donate them to you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m quoting myself here... Massive public apology to Jetta03. I thought I still had mine but it turns out I binned the chopped airbox lid along with the snorkels, due to lack of storage space and no foreseen need for them. Not much of a market here for them here either, since my bike is the only one of its kind in the country! Sorry Jetta03. Would have loved to donate them to you.
Hey, no worries at all. Thx anyway for the offer! BTW, for anyone else I'm willing to pay for the snorkels plus shipping, also looking for an extra airbox lid clip as I found I'm missing one of those as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
My airbox top had been chopped off when I re-purchased my 1995. I bought a replacement from Ed at ducpower ? Forza Ducati..
When it arrived the snorkels were missing. Ed sent them along for the $6 shipping.
Like you, I'm trying to get the bike as stock as reasonable. My largest compromise is the replacement exhaust system.
The snorkels are easily removed/reinstalled so you have options here - depending on your taste.
BTW: I've had good luck with DucPower and Wounded Duck for sourcing some of those tougher to find parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts