Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at the dealer the other day I talked with the service manager about my full termi 1098 running issues below 5k rpm he asked if the evap stuff was still on the bike and its not so he said they have had good luck with running a hose connecting the 2 ports on the intakes together.
Well I tried it and it made a difference from about 3200 on up its allot smoother,I can cruise at 30mph through the cop infested streets around my house now without making too much noise.

Rich

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep, most people remove the charcoal filter from the bike on purchase. ;)

Didn't help my stalling issue though... :(
What do you actually mean? And does it really help enough to take it off?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
What Tye is referring to is the Evaporative Emissions canister... that black box with several hoses running to it on the right side of the engine. It's sole purpose is to collect fuel vapor, so it's not released to the atmosphere. Removing it completely does not affect the bike's running performance, but does shed a couple pounds of weight.

What you did is connect the lines from the manifolds, that would normally be feeding the engine those vapors to burn off. In effect, by connecting the two throttle bodies together you balance the vacuum level for each cylinder; this can mask mildly mis-adjusted TB's

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
In effect, by connecting the two throttle bodies together you balance the vacuum level for each cylinder; this can mask mildly mis-adjusted TB's
Yes, sounds like a 'bodge' to me, surely a dealer can get a bike to idle properly..... :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
connecting the 2 ports together was just a band aid to the real problem,over a period of about 1K miles the bike started run poorly and feel flat,
I had to jack w/the balance screw,idle by-pass screws and fuel trim adj. just to get the bike to start,idle and not vibrate so bad at a steady cruise,my dealer tells that having to mess with those adjustments means that the cam timing is off and they are 3 weeks backed up so connect those ports together and that should help smooth it out a bit till I can get it in

Rich

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you leave the OEM vacuum fittings in place, or replace them with something else?

IIRC, those vacuum nipples have less than a 1mm orifice in them. I'm trying to imagine how little air could transfer between the TB's. Also did'nt the emissions lines connect with a Tee about 12-18" from the TB's anyway?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just out of curiosity, did you leave the OEM vacuum fittings in place, or replace them with something else?

IIRC, those vacuum nipples have less than a 1mm orifice in them. I'm trying to imagine how little air could transfer between the TB's. Also did'nt the emissions lines connect with a Tee about 12-18" from the TB's anyway?
when I got the bike the fittings were in place with vacuum caps on them and yes the stock setup has these tee-d together to the canister,you sure would think that tiny hole would do a whole lot,maybe they are thinking that
even without the canister they should still be connected together,anyways it did make a slight difference in the way it runs at lower rpms

Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts